Thread: Mike and Reilly Smith For?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Mike and Reilly Smith For?

I'm thinking of offering Mike Smith + Reilly Smith for Sean Monohan + Darcy Kuemper. I'm rebuilding and he wants to compete but he's thinking of running with Kuemper as his goalies are Kuemper Khudobin and Crawford. Is this fair, should i ask for more? Is this not enough? just want opinions

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Mike and Reilly Smith For?

Ask for more. Much more.

In terms of long term potential, I'd say

Monahan>Smith

BUT the difference between Smith and Kuemper is pretty darn huge.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Agree with PG21. Smith still holds a great deal of value - starting goalie without any immediate goalie controversy. Kuemper is a nice young goalie but he still has Harding and Backstrom in front of him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ask for more in return.

The sweet side of this is about one years time Kuemper will most likely be the starting goalie in Minnesota and will hold about the same ( maybe more ) more value than Smith and Monahan will be / is an upgrade over Reilly. Asking for more now due to Smith's current value vs Kuemper's current value will be that much sweeter for you. You'll love this deal in about a years time.

Dobber Sports Icon

Smith/Smith for Monahan/Kuemper is a terrible trade for your team. Mike Smith is much better than Kuemper both now and likely for the next 2 years even if Kuemper becomes the starting goalie in Minnesota. Kuemper has already had a number of injuries and I am not sure that the Wild staff are sold on his ability to become a true number one goaltender. The Wild also have Backstrom signed for a couple more seasons.

Reilly Smith is also likely a better offensive NHL player than Sean Monahan ever will be. Smith had 17 more points than Monahan did last year. This was Smith's first full NHL season and he started the year on the 3rd line with no PP time. He worked his way up the depth chart and ended up playing more minutes with Patrice Bergeron than Brad Marchand did in the 2nd half of last year. I expect Smith to get even more points next year. Monahan will also likely improve but he was already getting more PP time than Smith was getting and he would have to improve by 50% just to get to the total that Smith had last year. The age difference between Smith and Monahan is only 3.5 years so in terms of fantasy hockey, there is little to no chance either of these players are still on your team by the time they start to deteriorate due to age.

If you really want to move Smith/Smith, you should try to acquire way more than what you are thinking about asking for.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not good enough value for me. Sure, Reilly Smith is a 3rd round pick, but if you didn't know where Monahan or Smith were drafted then how would you value them? Probably as awfully close to one another. Mike Smith blows Kuemper out of the way, so this deal isn't very good for you.

Dobber Sports Wizard

You should definitely be asking for more here. Cheers.