Thread: Potential trade evaluation

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Potential trade evaluation

Hi.

In a keeper/auction league and we roster two goalies but can only keep one.

13 Teams
    Categories: G, A, +/-, PIM, SG (ppg+2x shg), Goalie Pts ( 2x win + 2x shut out, 1 OTL) so basically wins.

I finished first, the potential partner finished last. That team doesn't have much in the way of keepers (Sharp and both Richards), but they have MAFluery (hometown team), and Holtby.

Since I lose Quick in this draft, I'm left with Pavalec.

I know, right? Awful.

Based on my keepers, I have a pretty good shot at winning again this year, but don't think I'll have enough money to get two good goalies - and that's 1/6 of the categories.

So, I'm thinking of offering:

Eberle (3 years left at $5.50)
    Shattenkirk (1 year left at $2.00)

for

Holtby (not in a contract year yet at $2.00)

$55.00 cap - only important on draft day.

What do you think? Too little? Too much? Skip on Holtby?
    I'm thinking those two I'm offering are in that teams top three right off the bat.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Potential trade evaluation

Start small and throw Eberle at him for Holtby. As he has a bonafide #1 tender in Fleury, he may be only too glad to give Holtby up for very little in return.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah theres nothing wrong with starting at just Eberle and going up from there if need be. Could save yourself having to give up a pretty good player. Given his forward keepers you named, he may be idling to jump on Eberle solo.

Terrible that you're stuck with only Pavelec though haha I feel for you!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hard to evaluate whether $5.50 towards a $55 cap is good or bad without seeing total roster allocation, starters & bench.
    If you roster two goalies, only you know if your cap situation is sufficient to get two decent goalies.

Cap leagues are tough because they also require a deep knowledge of what other teams' structures are: their needs & likely strategies for the coming year.
    I've been in leagues where everybody keeps their bargains and there are all-out wars on rebids.
    I've been in leagues where everybody keeps their stars and there become a lot of really good players for bargain-bin prices.

From what you say though - it sounds like you can't really chance going into the season with Pavelec and that your skater strength is good.

From the limited information, I'd say Holtby is a good risk for you to take with your situation.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd echo what the others have said. Eberle has good name value, despite his drop in fantasy value in any league that is more than just points. If you can swap him for Holtby then I guess you take that first. I'm not too high on Holtby though. No other goaltenders out there you could target?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thank you for the comments.

13 team league.
    13 F, 6 D, 2 G
    Roto - cumulative (not h2h or weekly)

Everybody tends to keep their stars.
    Top players routinely go for quite a bit. There were 23 players that were $7.00 or more last season. Ovi - $18, Malkin $17, Crosby $16.25

I have a pretty good keeper roster... with some decisions to make.

Tavares, Giroux, Neal, Downie, Karlsson, MacKinnon, Krejci, Pacioretty, Voracek, Dubinsky, Karlsson, Byfuglien, Hedman, Gudas are my keepers at the moment. Which is actually 2 over at the moment.

Maybe I can target someone else, but the existing cost is a factor as well as who has two goalies and would be willing to part with one.

Here's the tandems:

1. Bishop $2.50 Elliot $5.00
    2. Halak $0.25 Hiller $0.25 (can't take on salary)
    3. Mason $5.00 Miller $2.50
    4. Crawford $2.75 Lehtonen $2.75 (One of one or two teams that have a really good keeper roster - doubt he would trade with me)
    5. Luongo $2.50 Niemi $4.00
    6. Bernier $5.00 Price $2.75
    7. Anderson $1.00 Rask $5.25
    8. Bobrovsky $3.00
    9. Lack $2.50 Varlamov $1.25
    10. Harding $2.50 Smith $4.25 Rinne $3.25
    11. Howard $4.50 Schneider $0.50
    12. I have Pavalec 2.50
    13. Holtby $2.00 MAF $6.50

Pengwin7 - we've actually talked before. You suggested keeping the best players and then dumping guys on the waiver wire (a few years ago) - which would be great advice, but I neglected to mention we can't just add/drop whoever we want. We're kind of stuck with them until they don't play for a full week. So the draft is ultra important.