Thread: THN Fantasy Guide

Dobber Sports Guru

Default THN Fantasy Guide

One interesting thing they did this season was in the team reports. They got rid of the plus/minus leaders, and replaced it with Corsi Close. They also do top offensive zone starts for each team.

Dobber also has a column on the final page about advanced stats.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: THN Fantasy Guide

Yes I found it was pretty decent this year. I ran over to "Mags and ****" on Friday just to pick it up as some light reading material over the long weekend.

Dobber Sports Master

For the past few seasons, I have purchased THN's Fantasy Guide, but probably won't this year given how detailed Dobber's guide is. I wouldn't mind seeing it to get some comparison numbers, but methinks the Dobber version is superior. Thoughts?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Genius

It's toilet bowl reading. Fluff lol. Don't take it too seriously. Canceled my sub. two years ago. I found their point totals were all over the place and the one line player analysis generally pointless.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Cancelled my subscription as well a few years ago. Just so many other good sources out there that are free, or of much higher quality like Dobber. I'd read it if it were give to me for free of course.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    For the past few seasons, I have purchased THN's Fantasy Guide, but probably won't this year given how detailed Dobber's guide is. I wouldn't mind seeing it to get some comparison numbers, but methinks the Dobber version is superior. Thoughts?
    I agree Dobber is better, but I try to get projections from as many sources as possible. In my points-only pool, I build a spreadsheet with the top free agents, and the average projected point total from all those sources. That gives me a good feeling of who is consistently projected to be in the 60-point range, for example.

So last year, for example, I used four guides. Kesler had a 58-point average (two sources had him at 57, and two at 59). Ray Whitney was at 58.5-point average, but the predictions were all over the map (56, 65, 49 and 64). So if it was down to those two players for me at a certain pick, I would go with Kesler since he has the most consistent projected numbers.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I agree Dobber is better, but I try to get projections from as many sources as possible. In my points-only pool, I build a spreadsheet with the top free agents, and the average projected point total from all those sources. That gives me a good feeling of who is consistently projected to be in the 60-point range, for example.

So last year, for example, I used four guides. Kesler had a 58-point average (two sources had him at 57, and two at 59). Ray Whitney was at 58.5-point average, but the predictions were all over the map (56, 65, 49 and 64). So if it was down to those two players for me at a certain pick, I would go with Kesler since he has the most consistent projected numbers.
    This was my method for YEARS, but now I've come to trust Dobber's guide enough that I don't bother with the others.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

I certainly see the value in doing that, but will wait to see if anyone I know buys it and then I will just borrow their copy. Nobody said I wasn't cheap. LOL!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't buy the other ones, but I do like to glance at them to see who they hype so I can adjust my draft list to move some players up and some down.