Thread: Has my rebuild been a success? Does my team have what it takes to compete?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Has my rebuild been a success? Does my team have what it takes to compete?

Updated a few posts down.

Wanted to get some opinions on the team I've been working on for the last 2 years. Am I'm going in the right direction and have I built a good team to compete in about 3 years or 4 years? I've traded away various veteran players for youth and acquired additional first round picks to pick future stars.

10 player keeper league 13 teams 3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 2Bench total 18 spots, draft 8 each year. Points only league Goalie points= 3-shut out 2-win 1-ot loss.

Picks in the first 2 rounds - I have the 4th overall pick, 15th and 20th, 23rd, Looking to acquire Kuznetsov with the 4th to probably replace vanek as a keeper, Gibson and Allen with the next 2 to replace Miller and open to suggestions for the 23rd maybe Granlund if available. Also considering Tarasenko.

My Keepers
    C
    1. Tavares - Traded my Getzlaf at the deadline for Tavares and picks 15/39
    2. Mackinnon - drafted 1st over all last year

LW
    3. Drouin - drafted 3rd overall last year
    4. Vanek - still trying to trade him. Had him for years.

RW
    5. Nichuskin - Picked up off waivers last year.
    6. Yakupov - drafted 2 years ago.

D
    7. Pietrangelo - Traded my Markov and Semin at the deadline 2 seasons ago for him and picks.
    8. Shattenkirk - Traded Green and Couture at the deadline 2 season ago for him and picks

G
    9. Miller - Looking to trade him and replace him with Gibson or Allen in the draft this year.
    10. Bernier - Picked up off the waiver wire after trade to Toronto to replace Kipper at the time.
    Last edited by ds760; October 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Has my rebuild been a success? Does my team have what it takes to compete?

I'd aim to get Granlund at 4 instead of Kuznetsov in a points only. If a guy like Kuz has the potential to go that high, theres no chance you can snag Granlund at 23 IMO.

Default Re: Has my rebuild been a success? Does my team have what it takes to compete?

I think too you should go for Granlund first before Kuz. Something about that kid that screams selanne 2.0. He was impressive during the olympics.

As far as your team is concerned, I think you are doing very well. The trade you made for tavares I especially like. Once you have your goalie situation down I think you have a good team going forward, but yes definitely need to wait 3-4 years before you become a powerhouse.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd say you've done a pretty good job, though you still have a bit of a wait before your team becomes one that can challenge for the Championship from the looks of it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think you have build a pretty solid young core (pending your miller move) I think you are a couple years from being there as your team develops a bit, but i like what you have done.
    12 Team Keeper (keep 14)
    G,A,+/-,PIMS, GWG, W,SA, SO

C - Seguin, Monahan, RNH
    RW - Mackinnon, Duchene, Hornqvist
    LW -Hoffman, Marleau, Panik,
    D - Fowler, Hedman, Ristolainen, Barrie, Klefbom, Goligoski
    Util - Coyle, Tatar, Little, Ladd,
    Goalie - Rask, Varly
    , Grubauer, Forsberg, Bobby Lou

2013/2014 League Champion

Dobber Sports Ace

Two years and you are the best team possibly. I really like your squad. Will depend heavily on Drouin, Nichushkin, Yakupov but I like your chances. How strong are the other teams? You have the potential to be near the bottom if MacK, Drouin, Nichushkin, Yakupov, Shatty don't take the next step. That could HUGE for you. If you have a chance at McDavid/Eichel or even Hanifin/Barzal you are doing awesome.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Ace

Not much more to add.

Vanek should be the next to go, and I suspect his value might increase seeing he's physically in Minny (I suspect he's been mentally there through out the 2013-2014 season)

Goaltending is the only other area I would address as well. Miller has to go, and if the opportunity comes along, I'd try to upgrade on Bernier.

I'll be trying to add Allen and Gibson to Replace Miller and possibly Bernier depending how he does going forward. Thx for the advice on Granlund. "Hey Patrick I'm tanking just for you so I can draft McDavid and you can't!"
    Last edited by ds760; November 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I like you're team, you'll have to be patient with Drouin though. Cheers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would look to Tarasenk and Granlund both, before I took Kuznetsov.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

An update on the rebuild guys. Made a couple major deals before our draft last week.

Taresanko, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk for Crosby and Iginla. Hurt my D and killed my playoff chances with the blues but hey it's Crosby!

Miller Vanek for Benn and a 2nd round pick. Moved Miller with the intention or replacing him in the draft with Gibson and or Allen which worked out perfect.

Drafted:

Gibson
    Granlund
    Allen
    Reilly
    Gardiner
    Phaenuf
    Trouba
    Teravainen

10 Keepers now:

C
    1. Crosby
    2. Tavares

LW
    3. Drouin
    4. Benn

RW
    5. Nichuskin
    6. Mackinnon
    7. Yakupov

D
    8. Schultz

G
    9. Gibson
    10. Allen

Bubble
    Bernier could be a keeper as well or I move him or another goalie.
    Granlund certainly a potential keeper maybe replace Yakupov if he doesn't break out this year.
    Reilly and Gardiner as well as Trouba could steal a keeper spot from Shultz.
    Teravainen might surprise and be worth a keeper but don't want to prolong the rebuild if he takes a couple years.

I'm open to suggestions on keepers. I'll trade Iginla he was simply part of the Crosby deal with the intention of flipping him later.

Can I get some thoughts on how I did? I think my rebuild has been overwhelmingly and successfully concluded especially when I look at who I had when I started it. I got younger and better in my 2 deals and I filled holes from the deals with a great draft. Thx for the Granlund advise. I got lucky getting him at 20th, Gibson at 4th and Allen at 15th.