Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: So all the hype about Nyquist..

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: So all the hype about Nyquist..

Similarly, even if we took Nyquist's shot totals and bumped his shooting percentage down to 14%...

153 SOG x 0.14 = 21.42 goals
    21.42 / 57 GP = 0.3758 goals per game
    0.3758 x 82 GP = 30.81 goals
    Last edited by petegreg21; August 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: switch "his" to "nyquist"

Banned

He's a little overhyped but there's no question he's one of the better young talents just coming into his own. I'm sure it also doesn't hurt getting to play with Datsyuk, talk about a great guy to learn from! I can see him having a big year this season 30-30 I expect him to get no problem, but he could easily exceed that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Ebs shot at a 19% rate for 78 games though and scored 34 goals. Nyquist did it in 57 games and scored 28. I see the connection but with an added 25 games who knows what he would have hit. He was on pace for 40. I know that isn't the be all and end all, but 30 doesn't seem ludicrous with all things considered.
    On pace is just that - an estimate based on games played. I've been burned far too many times by assuming a player will continue to be the same through those non-played games.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    On pace is just that - an estimate based on games played. I've been burned far too many times by assuming a player will continue to be the same through those non-played games.
    I know, as have I. I think 99% of people have haha. But as you can see above, even with a dumbed down sh% of 14% theres still something there. I guess the biggest thing is, once he's on the ice with Dats and Zetterberg and Franzen, can he still average 2.7 shots per game? My gut tells me yes, but we never know!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

28 goals in 57 games seems like fair precedent to say 30 goals is attainable with 82 GP
    Having him on ignore list and only seeing his posts when quoted is quite possibly a worse experience, because now I only get the far and away stupidest stuff highlighted.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Having him on ignore list and only seeing his posts when quoted is quite possibly a worse experience, because now I only get the far and away stupidest stuff highlighted.
    LOL! Sorry Dak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'll just chime in with the fact that this was the first season that Nyquist concentrated on shooting more. Prior to this season, he'd always been a pass first guy. Now he's looking more for quality scoring chances. A high shooting percentage is not an accident with him.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'll just chime in with the fact that this was the first season that Nyquist concentrated on shooting more. Prior to this season, he'd always been a pass first guy. Now he's looking more for quality scoring chances. A high shooting percentage is not an accident with him.
    Can you back up that statement with some historical stats? Just curious. I'm willing to change my mind on him slightly, but I've heard the 'he's a high shooting percentage type player' about players before. Generally right before they regress the next season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

He has pretty consistently gotten about 14.5% in college and the AHL, at least as far as the stats I could find goes. And then Babcock sits him down last fall and shows him how and why he should find more shooting opportunities and shoot more and all of a sudden his scoring more goals at a higher shooting percentage. Not a coincidence.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

He has pretty consistently gotten about 14.5% in college and the AHL, at least as far as the stats I could find goes. And then Babcock sits him down last fall and shows him how and why he should find more shooting opportunities and shoot more and all of a sudden his scoring more goals at a higher shooting percentage. Not a coincidence.
    I'm a believer! I don't expect the kid to stick at 18 but if he can hover around 14.5% at 3 shots per game I'm a happy camper.

Dobber Sports Ninja

14.5 is a pretty high percentage on a regular basis. Might have to readjust a little bit for sure.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    14.5 is a pretty high percentage on a regular basis. Might have to readjust a little bit for sure.
    If we can agree on 3 shots per game, I'll lower my Sh% expectations down to 12.2%. That will still allow him to hit 30 goals

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If we can agree on 3 shots per game, I'll lower my Sh% expectations down to 12.2%. That will still allow him to hit 30 goals
    Totally reasonable IMO Petegreg21.

The only thing that may throw a wrench into the 30 goal bud could be healthy seasons from zets and Dats

Banned

28 goals in 57 games seems like fair precedent to say 30 goals is attainable with 82 GP
    No it doesn't. 30 goals is a lofty number. He had everything working for him last year. We can't just assume he Will score 30 goals.

Banned

Please say what is stupid? Is it not more stupid to guarantee a sophomore 25 year old will score 30 goals?

Dobber forums. Full of hive minded sheep.

- - - Updated - - -

Also not a coincidence that his stats plummeted once Datsyuk came back