Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: So all the hype about Nyquist..

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default So all the hype about Nyquist..

Since the Nyquist hype train has slowed down since the playoffs, I am curious on where we put his production at next season?
    Do we consider him being on the top line with zetts and dats?

If I were to guess he will be second line and 1st PP
    H2H 12 team 6 player Keeper League
    Goals/Assists/Points/PlusMinus/PPP/Pims/Hits/SOG
    Wins/GAA/SV%

C: Seguin, Stamkos, Couturier, Toews, Dzingel
    LW: Panarin, Rakell,Schmaltz, Bertuzzi, Haula
    RW: Tarasenko, Marner,Kucherov
    D: Hamilton, Klingberg, Schultz, Faulk, Ghost, Gustafson.
    G:Murray

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: So all the hype about Nyquist..

I see him second line and 2PP. With a (hopefully) healthy Detroit squad I see Dats, Zetter, Franzen on PP1 with 2D (Kronwall+DeKeyser perhaps).

While I definitely don't see him putting up similar PPG numbers, mostly due to his 18.3%shooting percentage and increased ice time because I'd injuries, I'd feel comfortable slotting him in at a very decent 30-30-60.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    I see him second line and 2PP. With a (hopefully) healthy Detroit squad I see Dats, Zetter, Franzen on PP1 with 2D (Kronwall+DeKeyser perhaps).

While I definitely don't see him putting up similar PPG numbers, mostly due to his 18.3%shooting percentage and increased ice time because I'd injuries, I'd feel comfortable slotting him in at a very decent 30-30-60.
    This seems very on point.

The shooting percentage just isn't sustainable (despite his extremely high number of breakaway goals!) but in the same respect the guy only played 57 games last year and potted 28. 30 goals seems very attainable and depending on how the lines shake out 60 is definitely attainable. Top 6 player on the wings no doubt, then it's just a matter of sizing him up and figuring out if he's more effective with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Slot Franzen in, (likely) Abdelkader (unfortunately) and one of Weiss/Tatar/Mantha and theres your top 6.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    This seems very on point.

The shooting percentage just isn't sustainable (despite his extremely high number of breakaway goals!) but in the same respect the guy only played 57 games last year and potted 28. 30 goals seems very attainable and depending on how the lines shake out 60 is definitely attainable. Top 6 player on the wings no doubt, then it's just a matter of sizing him up and figuring out if he's more effective with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Slot Franzen in, (likely) Abdelkader (unfortunately) and one of Weiss/Tatar/Mantha and theres your top 6.
    That sounds about right....until Zetts and datsyuk land on the DL... Then it's nqquist time!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    That sounds about right....until Zetts and datsyuk land on the DL... Then it's nqquist time!
    Just like last year! Let the kid run rampant and cherry pick a few more goals! I love those highlight reel plays. Pretty sure he and Tatar were the final 2 for the TSN play of the year. Nyquist v Bishop & Tatar v Dallas. Both unbelievable goals.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

My feeling is that the hype is justified. Nyquist has been a point per game producer at EVERY level and in the Detroit fashion has had full development, winning an AHL championship. I can't name an upcoming player who is more ready for the NHL He was at 0.84 PPG last year, a 67-point pace, which I think he can build on. His shooting % was 18% last year, but he is a goal scorer and his long term average is not that far off at 14%. All that said, 2nd line and 1st PP is likely to start, but depending on the health of Datsyuk and Zett and the line combinations Babcock chooses, he could easily wind up 1st line.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Just like last year! Let the kid run rampant and cherry pick a few more goals! I love those highlight reel plays. Pretty sure he and Tatar were the final 2 for the TSN play of the year. Nyquist v Bishop & Tatar v Dallas. Both unbelievable goals.
    Yup! You saw them too apparently! Just sick!

Dobber Sports Master

In some ways I liken Nyquist and Tatar to Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Offensively gifted, defensively responsible, burgeoning leaders, and soon enough, two of Detroit's primary weapons. In another couple of seasons, this will be their team with Nyquist being called on as the primary point producer. 60 points should be the floor to this guy's ceiling for the next three or four years.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think Detroit is going to want to spread out the offense, so a line of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Nyquist probably won't happen..

Are far as hype goes, this kid is that good and deserves the "hype"..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    My feeling is that the hype is justified. Nyquist has been a point per game producer at EVERY level and in the Detroit fashion has had full development, winning an AHL championship. I can't name an upcoming player who is more ready for the NHL He was at 0.84 PPG last year, a 67-point pace, which I think he can build on. His shooting % was 18% last year, but he is a goal scorer and his long term average is not that far off at 14%. All that said, 2nd line and 1st PP is likely to start, but depending on the health of Datsyuk and Zett and the line combinations Babcock chooses, he could easily wind up 1st line.
    This is great info, we keep hearing about the shooting % (which I agree is unsustainable).. But I don't think it's going to regress as far as people think it will.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    In some ways I liken Nyquist and Tatar to Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Offensively gifted, defensively responsible, burgeoning leaders, and soon enough, two of Detroit's primary weapons. In another couple of seasons, this will be their team with Nyquist being called on as the primary point producer. 60 points should be the floor to this guy's ceiling for the next three or four years.
    Kind of tough to project them out without saying "they're the next Zetterberg and Datsyuk". Agreed Nyquist will be the go-to over Tatar but both will be the primary scorers. In the mean time they have two of the best mentors in the game.

Banned

As long as datsyuk is on the team, his production won't be anything to write home about. He really declined once datsyuk came back. Invisible.

I'd say next year he gets 40 points or so. The hype isn't deserve as he isn't a zetterberg clone or anything close.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post

how are you comfortable saying he'll get 30 goals?

Have people gone mad?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    how are you comfortable saying he'll get 30 goals?

Have people gone mad?
    28 goals in 57 games seems like fair precedent to say 30 goals is attainable with 82 GP

Dobber Sports Ninja

Everle also had a completely unsustainable shooting percentage, and people made the same arguments about him (that he is a high percentage shooter etc) but in the end he indeed dropped 10 points the next year, and his goals were a big part of the reason why. Nyquist strikes me as a very similar case.

Dobber Sports Stud

Ebs shot at a 19% rate for 78 games though and scored 34 goals. Nyquist did it in 57 games and scored 28. I see the connection but with an added 25 games who knows what he would have hit. He was on pace for 40. I know that isn't the be all and end all, but 30 doesn't seem ludicrous with all things considered.