Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Your Top 5 NHL Players

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Top 5 players:

Crosby
    Stamkos
    Malkin
    Toews
    Kessel (making his first appearance on this list)
    I'm intrigued...

Dobber Sports Wizard

1. Crosby
    2. Toews
    3. Giroux
    4. Stamkos
    5. Kopitar

HM: Malkin

Quote Originally Posted by Percy21 View Post
    I would take any of these elite 1C's over any elite Dman or goalie if I was building a team.
    Well said.

Banned

Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Malkin, Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Crosby, Karlsson, Malkin are my top 3 locks.

After that it's real tough since there are lots of guys in the mix.

Probably Stamkos, and Patrick Kane.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

^^ curious why you guys chose karlsson as a top NHL player. no denying he is the greatest offensive talent at his position, but i would think most NHL GM's would rather have Doughty or Weber on the backend.

1. Toews
    2. Crosby
    3. Malkin
    4. Kopitar
    5. Stamkos

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    ^^ curious why you guys chose karlsson as a top NHL player. no denying he is the greatest offensive talent at his position, but i would think most NHL GM's would rather have Doughty or Weber on the backend.
    I can see the argument. He's a dynamic offensive force and a driver for an offence and PP. Personally not in my top 5 but he's definitely in my top 10.

Dobber Sports Star

Crosby
    Tavares
    Stamkos
    Toews
    Weber

Dobber Sports Ninja

1. Toews
    2. Crosby
    3. Malkin
    4. Kopitar
    5. Stamkos
    You can surround a Karlsson with another defensive guy, and Karlsson is only going to get better defensivly as time goes on. You won't find another player who will give you the offensive game that Karlsson can.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    You can surround a Karlsson with another defensive guy, and Karlsson is only going to get better defensivly as time goes on. You won't find another player who will give you the offensive game that Karlsson can.
    true, but isn't the main point of a defender...to defend? i think if doughty were on ottawa he would be a 50pt dman at minimum. so is 20 or so extra points from karlsson really worth more than having arguably the most complete dman in doughty? i would say he's arguably one of the best defensive dmen and his offense is pretty good too. in a playoff series can you honestly say you'd rather have karlsson over doughty?

Dobber Sports Ninja

true, but isn't the main point of a defender...to defend? i think if doughty were on ottawa he would be a 50pt dman at minimum. so is 20 or so extra points from karlsson really worth more than having arguably the most complete dman in doughty? i would say he's arguably one of the best defensive dmen and his offense is pretty good too. in a playoff series can you honestly say you'd rather have karlsson over doughty?
    The main point of a defenseman is to help his team to win games, both by defending and helping to produce points. Karlsson does that better, as a whole, than anyone else out there in my mind. I am fine with those who choose someone else though. Doughty would be a fine choice, but if I am down by 1 late in the third period in game 7 and I NEED a goal there is no guy I'd rather have out there on the blueline except for Karlsson. The defense can be replaced far more easily by all sorts of other blueliners who excel at that. There is no replacing Karlsson's ability to generate offense.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The main point of a defenseman is to help his team to win games, both by defending and helping to produce points. Karlsson does that better, as a whole, than anyone else out there in my mind. I am fine with those who choose someone else though. Doughty would be a fine choice, but if I am down by 1 late in the third period in game 7 and I NEED a goal there is no guy I'd rather have out there on the blueline except for Karlsson. The defense can be replaced far more easily by all sorts of other blueliners who excel at that. There is no replacing Karlsson's ability to generate offense.
    if you are up by 1 late in the third period in game 7, then i am sure you would take doughty over karlsson. i guess i understand your point about defensive dmen being easier to replace than offensive dmen...i just think in a 60minute game you need the consistency of someone like Doughty over a gamebreaker like Karlsson.

Dobber Sports Padawan

1. Crosby
    2. Datsyuk
    3. Toews
    4. Getzlaf
    5. Stamkos

EDIT: This is my current top 5 players, not top 5 I'd build around

Dobber Sports Wizard

1. Phaneuf
    2. Kessel
    3. JVR
    4. Bernier
    5. Kadri

This?

Dobber Sports Ninja

if you are up by 1 late in the third period in game 7, then i am sure you would take doughty over karlsson. i guess i understand your point about defensive dmen being easier to replace than offensive dmen...i just think in a 60minute game you need the consistency of someone like Doughty over a gamebreaker like Karlsson.
    Nah, the thing is you could stick any really good defensive defenseman out there if you're up by 1 late in Game 7, along with some third line checking forwards to take the draw and pin the puck along the boards. That's the point. Defensive play is so easily replaceable by blueliners and checking forwards. Karlsson has tons of consistency, but it's in a different area than Doughty, and one that few others can actually pull off, and certainly none from the back end.

Either way neither of us would go wrong with these guys, but it's just my own preference.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Seriously,

1) Crosby
    2) Toews
    3) Weber
    4) Malkin
    5) Kopitar/Doughty (Tie)