Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Coffee

Saw a lot in the beer thread, but I didn't see one about coffee so I thought I would start it. I roast my own Beans at home, and thought it would be good to get others thoughts if they do the same.

I have been roasting for about a year and a half now and I really enjoy the freshness I get out of the coffee.

Roaster- Behmor 1600. Pretty good machine at a moderate price point, weight setting doesn't seem to cut it and I have to roast at a higher weight setting and adjust roast time. Smoke suppression system works well.

Coffee Maker - Behmor Brazen. Bought this because the roaster was good and the Behmor customer service team was awesome when it came to a small roaster basket issue with my roaster. Would NOT recommend. I am on my second one (warranty covered) and it seems to have a design problem with the water release. Second one is failing same way as the first. Good customer service from Behmor, but i just bought a Technivorm as I don't want to deal with the same issue over and over again.

Green Beans - I buy from Sweet Maria's (www.sweetmarias.com) out of the States. They have a large selection, seem to spend a lot of time profiling the beans for flavour profiles and even with the exchange and shipping come in cheaper then other sites I found.

favorite beans - I like dry processed beans. His seems to be a method used only on Ethiopian beans, but add extra floral notes to the beans. I have only had peaberries once so far, but I did buy into the peaberries add more flavour. They were delicious.
    12 team, yahoo H2H Daily starts, keep 10
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SHP,SOG. W,SV%,SV,GAA,SHO
    2C,2LW,2RW,1Util,4D,2G
    C-RNH,
    LW-Benn,Kane, Drouin
    RW-Kessel,Ovechkin, Simmonds
    D-
    G-Lundqvist, Howard Gibson

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Coffee

As sad as this sounds, I have been drinking instant coffee for so long it's all I normally drink, at least at home.

We have a percolator at work so I drink that coffee as well, but its pretty much Maxwell House or whatevers on sale at Costco.

I am not a fussy coffee drinker by any means, but I drink my fair share of it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

I don't do coffee, I do coke.

My wife however, got this fancy machine so she can create the entire starbucks menu from home. Saves a bit of cash rather than going to star****s every day

Dobber Sports Ninja

There once was a day where I thought coffee was disgusting.

Then I started drinking it while doing my undergrad.

Now I basically can't function at my best unless I have one. Ugh...lol.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I don't do coffee, I do coke.

My wife however, got this fancy machine so she can create the entire starbucks menu from home. Saves a bit of cash rather than going to star****s every day
    Man, that addiction must get expensive.

As for Starbucks, I've always found it funny how it's the most expensive coffee but I actually like it the least. Oddly enough I actually prefer McDonald's coffee the best, followed by Timmy's and last would be Starbucks.

I love coffee but have never roasted my own before!
    I wont lie I grab Tim Horton's every morning on my way to work but have a pretty good selection of beans and grinds at home that I use with a french press (Not a super fancy one)! I have always been interested in roasting my own but haven't looked into it much! I am pretty excited about this thread!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Since having my first daughter (2009), I started drinking coffee because I'm a slow mover in the morning without.
    Now... I'm a coffee addict.
    I'll have a headache by 11am if I haven't had a sip.

Off-topic story:
    Yesterday, I probably had the 4th or 5th most embarrasing moment of my life.

Email I wrote to my wife after arriving at work:

This morning I was tired.
    I had two options for coffee cups, since my default mug is in the dishwasher:
    i) Little mug, with top
    ii) Big mug, no top

I chose the big mug.
    Going out the door, with Netflix, into car… I’m thoroughly annoyed because my coffee got on the Netflix envelope. Sloppy.
    Out of the driveway, over the ridge bump, a bit spilled in the car console. Sloppy.
    I take a few big swigs at stoplights to lower the amount so nothing more slops.

Finally, I’m at work, with just 2/3rds left.
    Perfect amount for the morning.

Don’t know where my mind was.
    I turned out of the car with coffee in right hand and bump the steering wheel.
    The coffee cup screams out of my hands.
    Into… my lap.
    And those Jetta seats, my my, they hold spills so well.

So not only is the top side of my lap pants completely drenched with coffee wetness,
    But also, my undercarriage and undergarments supporting all my crucial parts are damp with coffee wetness.

I am uncomfortable, look, and feel like a fool.
    Daddy will indeed have a “low” today to share.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont like the McDonalds coffee. Its almost too strong for my likings.

Speaking of coffee though, when I was deployed a few years ago, we had a port visit in Instanbul, Turkey so I had to try their "famous" Turkish Coffee. Ugh, took me a while to finish scraping it off my tongue and the roof of my mouth. I guess its an acquired taste.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Coffee is doo doo, Iced Tea is where it's at.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    There once was a day where I thought coffee was disgusting.

Then I started drinking it while doing my undergrad.

Now I basically can't function at my best unless I have one. Ugh...lol.
    Exact same thing happened to me.
    Used to grab a few of those Tim Hortons 'Take Ten' or whatever they were (In the big boxes) and just pound it back to stay awake and study.
    Ended up loving it!

Banned

As for Starbucks, I've always found it funny how it's the most expensive coffee but I actually like it the least. Oddly enough I actually prefer McDonald's coffee the best, followed by Timmy's and last would be Starbucks.
    yes it can be haha.

The #1 reason I don't do coffeshops is I can't be bothered standing in line for 20-25 minutes (starbucks) to get a coffee.

If I get something it's timmie's hot chocolate, and that's usually only in rrroll up months or around xmas.

I refuse to go to these establishments lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    yes it can be haha.

The #1 reason I don't do coffeshops is I can't be bothered standing in line for 20-25 minutes (starbucks) to get a coffee.

If I get something it's timmie's hot chocolate, and that's usually only in rrroll up months or around xmas.

I refuse to go to these establishments lol
    I agree when it comes to Starbucks!
    The only time I go is when I receive gift-cards and even then it's usually drive-thru!

Dobber Sports Star

I'm not a coffee drinker. I haven't had a cup of coffee that I can remember. So far I don't need it and I want to keep it that way.

The Great One

Started with one cup a day, then two, now I'm up to three cups a day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening. I won't let myself get to four cups.

I walk to my local Starbucks everyday for my afternoon coffee. I like to go for an afternoon walk about an hour or two after my lunch hour workout. Helps to prevent my muscles from tightening up from sitting at my desk all afternoon.

In the morning and in the evening, I use my Keurig machine at home. I'd love to roast my own beans like the OP, but with two young kids, I just don't have the time for that. Maybe later in life. Also, my wife doesn't drink coffee, so I can't beat the convenience of my single-brew Keurig.

I like my coffee bold and strong. Can't stand Tim Horton's coffee (tastes like dirty water to me), but I don't mind McDonalds.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Superstar

100% agree. I find Starbucks hilarious because its rejected by both the hardcore coffee snobs and the blue-collar coffee people yet it's ALWAYS packed.

McDonald's coffee is actually my preferred choice if I'm out and need some. Tim's is fine as well so long as you I don't get a double/double or worse triple/triple (shudder).

I like good coffee, I need coffee in the morning and I'm pretty lazy thus I have settled on a Keurig maker. It's not top of the line but you can get some pretty good coffees in the wide variety of capsules they have and it's beyond simple to operate. And while it's relatively expensive if you consider markup (around $1/cup compared to say 15-20c a cup for "premium" home blends) it's still way cheaper, and faster, than stopping anywhere.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR