Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I be pi$$ed or flattered?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Should I be pi$$ed or flattered?

This past year (team in sig) I won this league for the 7th time. I've been fortunate enough to win every year I've been in the league, but I did leave for a year then won when I came back the following season. Many, many thanks to all the great advice I've received from the community here for these wins, you've collectively talked me off of several ledges and provided great insight that helped me to win every title.

This year was an absolute razor-thin finish, it came down to the last day of the season to determine the winner. So, typically at the end of the season the commish awards several gag 'trophies' (worst trade, things like that) and sends out an end-of-season email to the league congratulating the winner and asking if there are any suggestions on league format changes going forward. Also he usually lets the league know how best to get their money to the winner ($20 per guy, nothing crazy). This year though, after the win, there was no contact at all from the commish or anyone else in the league. The commish is a 'buddy' of mine that I haven't seen at all so far this summer but he did email me about golfing about a month ago. I couldn't make it and politely said we should try and re-schedule, and also asked what was going on with the pool. No response at all and I've left it alone, mostly out of stubbornness.

So, my thinking is I'm being booted from the league for (for lack of a better term) dominating for so long. I'm actually cool with that, it will give me Rocky Marciano-like legendary status as being unbeatable and retiring with an undefeated record is fine with me. But the way they're going about it just rubs me the wrong way. The money would be nice too, but really I'm not that concerned about it, the principle bothers me more. I could see if I was a jerk to the league and trash-talked the guys, but I don't. I actually sent a message to the GM I was in a dead-heat with as we entered the final week of the season wishing him good luck since it was going to be a photo finish!

Anyway, rant over, any advice on how you guys would approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Should I be pi$$ed or flattered?

Both? I dunno. 5 keepers it's not really to dominate a league except by your own participation/their lack of it. Like looking at your team, it is good, but nothing dominant. If it was a full keeper and you had like OV, Malkin, Stamkos, and Crosby I could see it but seems like they are crying over being shitty. My take. I'd be annoyed to lose a league with my friends but I'm sure you could find another on here that would be more competitive for you.

Dobber Sports Stud

Maybe the league as a whole is dwindling down? Just my first thought upon reading all of this. I couldn't see a "buddy" booting you from a league, rather maybe the league as a whole is losing interest in losing every year.

Well you obviously need to get in touch with your buddy, not much we can say or do!
    I would talk to him before you assume you are being booted, you never know- could be a shitty commish who needs to hang the reigns over.
    If you guys have been going at it for 7 years I would just suggest a re-draft since 5 keepers isnt really that big of a deal!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sounds like the guy is busy over the summer. If they end up "booting" you from the league without paying you, well that's about as low as it gets, so you might want to reevaluate why you are friends with people like that to be honest.

If he's really your friend then it's most likely he hasn't given it too much thought and the email with all the details is still on the way.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd like to believe that unless these guys are 13 yr olds, they'd have the parts to at least tell you that they were not going to include you in the next season's draft.

I'd probably discuss with other members before drawing any conclusions like that.

The sheer challenge they should be feeling to be the first one to unseat you should be enough to ensure your spot!

Quote Originally Posted by StuperousFunker View Post
    This past year (team in sig) I won this league for the 7th time. I've been fortunate enough to win every year I've been in the league, but I did leave for a year then won when I came back the following season. Many, many thanks to all the great advice I've received from the community here for these wins, you've collectively talked me off of several ledges and provided great insight that helped me to win every title.

This year was an absolute razor-thin finish, it came down to the last day of the season to determine the winner. So, typically at the end of the season the commish awards several gag 'trophies' (worst trade, things like that) and sends out an end-of-season email to the league congratulating the winner and asking if there are any suggestions on league format changes going forward. Also he usually lets the league know how best to get their money to the winner ($20 per guy, nothing crazy). This year though, after the win, there was no contact at all from the commish or anyone else in the league. The commish is a 'buddy' of mine that I haven't seen at all so far this summer but he did email me about golfing about a month ago. I couldn't make it and politely said we should try and re-schedule, and also asked what was going on with the pool. No response at all and I've left it alone, mostly out of stubbornness.

So, my thinking is I'm being booted from the league for (for lack of a better term) dominating for so long. I'm actually cool with that, it will give me Rocky Marciano-like legendary status as being unbeatable and retiring with an undefeated record is fine with me. But the way they're going about it just rubs me the wrong way. The money would be nice too, but really I'm not that concerned about it, the principle bothers me more. I could see if I was a jerk to the league and trash-talked the guys, but I don't. I actually sent a message to the GM I was in a dead-heat with as we entered the final week of the season wishing him good luck since it was going to be a photo finish!

Anyway, rant over, any advice on how you guys would approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
    Hanson Bros Fantasy Hockey League
    12 Team Roto (25 player roster w/10 player farm), Goals, Assists, Pts, PPP, BS, Hits, PIM, GAA, Wins, SV%
    Yahoo Pool - 82 GP per spot. Full Keeper
    Reigning Champion - 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18
    F- MacKinnon, Kucherov, Schwartz, Boeser, Pastrnak, E.Kane, Rackell, Dvorak, Lee, Borgstrom, Connor, Johnsson
    D- Karlsson, Ristolainen, Hedman, Edler, Zadorov,
    G- Murray, Kinkaid
    Bench- Greenway, Saros, Jarry, Montour
    Farm: Gaudette, Patrick, Makar, Tolvanen, Hague, Kostin, Shesterkin, Sparks, Stuart Skinner, Colton Point

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would wait and see what pans out. Unless you have some additional information you haven't included, there really isn't anything there that makes me think they would kick you out of the league. There's a whole bunch of other things that could be going on, primarily the commish has a bunch of other issues or things to deal with.

Anyhow, if I was in a pool where a guy was winning EVERY year, I would either leave it, or if I knew most of the guys in the pool, look to make some other change to even things out a bit.

If they are looking to not invite you back, they should be a little more transparent about it, unless they are still having internal discussions and are split on what they should do.

Regardless, try not to worry about it too much, and find another more competitive league, as you are clearly above this level of competition. If they invite you back, great, but don't sweat it.

Dobber Sports Genius

You should use your energy to pick up the phone and calling your buddy rather than hiding behind your keyboard and talking to us.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    You should use your energy to pick up the phone and calling your buddy rather than hiding behind your keyboard and talking to us.
    Thou shalt not hide behind keyboard?
    11th Commandment, Moses?

Dobber Sports Star

It's the summer, and a lot of poolies don't follow activities during that time. It feels weird to me though.

As for payment, you should send an email to the league members with a way to receive what you earned. I would wait until september to see if anything comes up by then.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sounds like a brag thread...

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

If you do get booted for being dominant then you have the right to hunt, each and everyone of those GM's that owe you some cash, down..

Very impressive 7 years though, congrats on that!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    11th Commandment, Moses?
    Good one. That's funny.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    11th Commandment, Moses?
    Moses didn't make the rules, he just brought them back. Don't shoot the messenger!

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Moses didn't make the rules, he just brought them back. Don't shoot the messenger!
    Moses could have 'penned' one in on his way down the mountain!