Thread: kreider vs zuccarello - pts-only (for rep)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default kreider vs zuccarello - pts-only (for rep)

hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion on best pts-only option between these rangers. in my league, their cap hits are 2.4m for zuccarello and 1.0m for kreider, each escalating by about 10-20% each year (depends on ppg performance). who is the best pts-only option, without considering salary, and then if different, also considering salary. who has the highest upside? any discussion on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
    15-Team keep 6f, 3d, 1g pts-only, wins=2, SO=3, OTL=1
    F: Robertson, Thompson, DeBrincat, McCann, Tomasino, Chytil, Brink, Carlsson, Berggren, Guenther
    D: Morrissey, Montour, Jiricek, Perbix, LaCombe, Perunovich
    G: Talbot, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Kochetkov, Copley

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: kreider vs zuccarello - pts-only (for rep)

I think Zuccarello could outpoint Kreider this year, but I would still go with Kreider. I don't think they'll be far off and you save salary.

Dobber Sports Stud

It's getting harder and harder to pass up on Zuccarello but his size and pedigree make him vulnerable in my mind when compared to Kreider. Not a problem as long as Zuccarello keeps producing, but should he have a prolonged drought, we might find the leash is a pretty short one.

Equal salary, it's close and I'd probably take Zuccarello.

But with the salary difference, I'd opt for Kreider, whom I think has all the elements to have a long productive career in the league.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Agree with MarmotKing: right now Zuccarello with slight advantage (74.5 to 68.8 rating points accroding to Dobber) but given the lower salary and in my opinion higher upside for Kreider, I would give him the edge.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For what its worth, a lot of people believe Krieder will break out this year... I have even seen ppl predict 70 points this year. He is on my radar and I am going to draft him this year, I wont expect 70, but I do expect a sort of break out from him. He is a big body and will see a lot of PP time standing in front of the net. I think you will have a lot more value with Krieder this year and beyond.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by buan View Post
    Agree with MarmotKing: right now Zuccarello with slight advantage (74.5 to 68.8 rating points accroding to Dobber) but given the lower salary and in my opinion higher upside for Kreider, I would give him the edge.
    +1 for me on this rationale.

Zuc is definitely a sexy pick but I worry about his size and durability. I actually think Krieder will end up the better all around talent here (Maybe not by a long shot) but give me Kreids.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by dbrzrk View Post
    For what its worth, a lot of people believe Krieder will break out this year... I have even seen ppl predict 70 points this year. He is on my radar and I am going to draft him this year, I wont expect 70, but I do expect a sort of break out from him. He is a big body and will see a lot of PP time standing in front of the net. I think you will have a lot more value with Krieder this year and beyond.
    Yeah I agree. I don't see him as a 70pts player next year (I wish as I own him!), but anything 50+ is quite doable I think. He's a big winger who could play on the first line and on the PP in front of the net.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Zucc's 59 points was an outlier and I think Kreider will continue to progress into a star player in NY. I'm going with Kreider.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm gonna have to go with Kreider here. Zuccarello got most of his points without Martin St.Louis in front of him on the Rangers' depth chart. I can't see him getting the same amount of points next year while he's relegated to 2nd-3rd line duties and PP2. Also, his line with Brassard and Pouliot caught lightning in a bottle last year, they were really clicking. With Pouliot gone, who knows what can happen. Give me Kreider who'll most likely be playing on the first line and PP1.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'll go with Kreider with this one. The difference between the 2 at the end of the year could be less than 5 points so I will take a chance with the guy who has the more upsides and should play on 1st line and PP1.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Give me Kreider - cheaper, higher ceiling, probably more durable due to his size.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Short term - Zuccarello , long term I am going with Kreider.
    Zucs has St.Louis to learn from. Risk vs Reward?
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Banned

Kreider for me

Dobber Sports Stud

I would be very surprised if Kreider ever put up 70 points, let alone next season. Look at his scoring history and tell me what indicates that he is that kind of offensive talent? His playoffs last season were impressive but other than that the answer is nothing. Not even a PPG in his first 2 college seasons? Barely a PPG player in his 3rd season? Look at the players that have come out of college over the years and put up 60+ points in the NHL and look at their college stats. Much better than Kreider's. Then look at his AHL stats - 23 points in 48 games in his 4th season from being drafted? Looking like a two-way guy, not an offensive threat. Again, look at NHL players that have played in the AHL and have gone on to score 60+ points and look at their AHL stats. Much better than Kreider's at the same age.

To me, if you are a Kreider owner at this point you are hopeful that he could grow to be a 60 point player going forward. That might be his best case scenario. Meanwhile Zuccarello just put up 59 points in 77 games. You don't need to be hopeful, he already has been a 60 point player. And being 26/27 years old compared to 23 with Kreider it's not like you have to worry about age being a factor, they're both plenty young.

To me the only way you go with Kreider is if you are really worried about your cap and feel you can make up the difference between the two players by spending that cap money elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The line from last year of Pouilot-Brassard-Zucc was driven primarily by Zucc and his chemistry with Brassard was undeniable. I don't see why Zucc would not be able to duplicate last year's success and possibly build on that. He will get plenty of PP time even if it is on the 2nd PP unit.