Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Proven Eberle or Potential Drouin... That is the question

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Proven Eberle or Potential Drouin... That is the question

roEberle dazzled in his 1st year and is surrounded by oodles of talent... real and potential. However he's never really lived up to that 1st year production. Not to say he can't, but what is Eberle's realistic upside? (2 more days till the Guide...tick tock tick tock)

And Drouin...1 year older...still yet to suit up in the NHL but 1 more dominant year in Juniors. Quite likely ready to kick off his NHL career this year. What is his upside?

Would anyone consider moving a Proven RW Eberle (albeit underacheiving) on that Oiler's team for the Potential of Drouin on that Tampa Team?

Both teams are offensively stoked...but Tampa seems to be figuring it out quicker.

Oilers have Hall and RNH but Tampa has Stamkos.

Trade talk around Eberle may help or hinder his future (esp if it comes to fruition)... vs Drouin finally up, but not many believe he'll find his way next to Stamkos any time soon.

THoughts?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Proven Eberle or Potential Drouin... That is the question

Straight up? Not a chance. At least with Eberle you know what type of production you are going to get. Drouin is too unproven and a wildcard for me.

The Great One

Sometimes you have to take a chance with the unproven. If and when Drouin does prove himself you will not be able to trade Eberle for him. I'd risk the upside gamble and stick with Drouin.

It's one of those trades that I probably wouldn't make if I had either player.

If I had the team that you have in your sig I would definitely take the risk!
    Tavares, Hall, Perry, Getzlaf, Kunitz, Karlsson, OEL- wow!!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks guys. DOOLEY89... that's kinda why I'm thinking about it.

Right now, I'm looking at dropping a guy like Kuznetsov or Pomminville cause I have no room. Kinda like the production potential of my team.

If I moved Eberle, I would definitely keep Pomminville and then Drouin over Kuznetsov.

SO really my forwards boil down to:

Now 1) - C) Tavares, Getz, LW) Hall, Kunitz, JVR, RW) Perry, Eberle, Pomminville (drop C - Kuznetsov)
    or
    2) C) Tavares, Getz, (LW) Hall, Kunitz, JVR, Drouin, (RW) Perry, Pomminville (drop C - Kuznetsov)

2 lets me capitalize and bank the potential of Drouin although it DOES make me extremely LW heavy... but what a fantastic replacement for Kunitz as Drouin hopefully improves before Kunitz fades off.

All hypothetical now as I try to jockey different angles before the rush starts.

Dobber Sports Stud

in 3 months you'll be kicking yourself for not doing this. drouin over eberle.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd take it yeah. Like I've said in a few threads, you'll deal with Drouin's growing pains for a year (maybe less) then it's all smooth sailing. I don't see Eberle ever going over 75 points (which isn't bad by any means) but I think Drouin can be a consistent PPG player.

Dobber Sports Star

It's hard trading proven for potential, but Drouin is a Top 3 pick who will play on a up and coming TB team.

If I was in a position to win this year, I don't know if I would do the trade, but otherwise I think it would be fair to gamble with Drouin.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I am in a position to win this year, having finished 2nd last year and 3rd the year before. Trending upward...but if Drouin steps in and puts up Mack type numbers in his 1st year, then really... it shouldn't impact my chances of winning... but that's always the gamble of course.

I'm pleased to see that the scale seems to be teetering on this concept rather than 1 way overwhelmingly.

Dobber Sports Star

I guess that it wouldn't be a bad idea to acquire him before he starts putting up numbers in the NHL and he becomes too expensive.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I've taken runs at Drouin all last season to no avial. But this guys team took a dip last year so maybe the thought of a proven talent like Eberle coming back would be enough.

He does, however, also have Stamkos and St.Louis... so when MSL was traded, I think he felt he had the Heir apparent in Drouin.

But then again, I've never offered an outright top 30 keeper for the uproven talent.

We'll see how that goes down.

Dobber Sports Star

Let us know what the outcome is.

Also never hurts to be LW heavy I find!!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

You're in a position to win your league and you have a guy who can put up 70+ points for you in Eberle. Drouin has done nothing at the NHL level ... interesting that I am the only one saying keep Eberle. I don't even really like Eberle (certainly not in the real NHL where the guy needs a map in his own end), but Eberle put up 76 points in his second year - that's some high end stuff.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    If I had the team that you have in your sig I would definitely take the risk!
    Tavares, Hall, Perry, Getzlaf, Kunitz, Karlsson, OEL- wow!!!
    Agree here - you have a soild core talent. even next year will the point difference be that great between ebs and dru? I think of the chemistry of STL / Stammer / Lecav in years past and dont see why dru can't step in now to fill the MSL role of years past. Maybe the first bit of his career on 2nd / 3rd line but i assume stevey Y had stammer / dru in mind when he made that draft selection.
    12 Team Keeper (keep 14)
    G,A,+/-,PIMS, GWG, W,SA, SO

C - Seguin, Monahan, RNH
    RW - Mackinnon, Duchene, Hornqvist
    LW -Hoffman, Marleau, Panik,
    D - Fowler, Hedman, Ristolainen, Barrie, Klefbom, Goligoski
    Util - Coyle, Tatar, Little, Ladd,
    Goalie - Rask, Varly
    , Grubauer, Forsberg, Bobby Lou

2013/2014 League Champion