Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ? Trade Mike Smith

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default ? Trade Mike Smith

So I will come out and say that I really don't like Smith and would love to trade him. That being said, I am in 14-team dynasty league that starts 2 goalies. I have Crawford, Howard, and Smith with Gustavsson as Howard's backup. This team finished right in the middle but has a great young core with MacKinnon, Duchene, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Seguin, Kessel, and Monahan that I think should do better this season.
    So the question is: in a start-2 goalie league is it foolish to trade a starter if you are not getting back one? I would receive Markstrom back as part of a package but he is not going to help me any time soon if ever. Thanks in advance for replies. If helpful, I can post the full package I would get for Smith but this is more of a strategy question.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: ? Trade Mike Smith

RangerFan,

What are your league settings?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    So I will come out and say that I really don't like Smith and would love to trade him. That being said, I am in 14-team dynasty league that starts 2 goalies. I have Crawford, Howard, and Smith with Gustavsson as Howard's backup. This team finished right in the middle but has a great young core with MacKinnon, Duchene, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Seguin, Kessel, and Monahan that I think should do better this season.
    So the question is: in a start-2 goalie league is it foolish to trade a starter if you are not getting back one? I would receive Markstrom back as part of a package but he is not going to help me any time soon if ever. Thanks in advance for replies. If helpful, I can post the full package I would get for Smith but this is more of a strategy question.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Ryker View Post
    RangerFan,

What are your league settings?
    G, A, PPP, SOG, PIM, SHP, +/-, Blocks, W, Saves, Sv%, GAA, SHO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I guess I have to see the whole deal, but I wouldnt deal Mike Smith for Markstrom. You may nor like Mike Smith, but hes a solid goalie in a great system with no one biting at his heels. Dubnyk is not very good and Visentin is 2 years away still.

I personally am not sure if Markstrom will ever be an asset. Hes in a terrible situation and I wouldnt wanna depend on him being dealt to have relevance. You have a guy in Smith that has a #1 job and has a chance to have a solid year.

If you're hellbent on dealing Smith, Id get a better goalie back or an upgrade to your F or D group.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

G, A, P, +/-, PP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, Wins, Save%, SV, GAA. *1 goalie starts

C - Couture, Kadri, Anisimov, Dvorak
    LW - Marchand, JT Miller, Grabner, Hartman, Duclair
    RW - Duchene, Oshie, Silfverberg, J.Williams
    D - Ristolainen, S.Jones, Martinez, De Haan, Del Zotto, Chychrun, Carlo
    G - Lundqvist, F.Andersen, Raanta
    Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg

Dobber Sports Veteran

14 Team, Start 2???

So there are at least 3-4 teams without 2 legit NHL starting goalies?

I hope you're getting a VERY nice package back, the WORST piece of which is Markstrom.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No do not deal Smith in a package for Markstrom. I wanted to see your league settings to get a feel for what you have to work with. Thanks for sharing that. You have a nice goalie situation with those three. You can certainly swap Smith in a trade for another starter you like better though.

G, A, PPP, SOG, PIM, SHP, +/-, Blocks, W, Saves, Sv%, GAA, SHO

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    14 Team, Start 2???

So there are at least 3-4 teams without 2 legit NHL starting goalies?

I hope you're getting a VERY nice package back, the WORST piece of which is Markstrom.
    Markstrom would be the worst piece (at least in my eyes). Most pieces were prospects (Ho-Sang) but I think you guys are right that I need a goalie back.

Dobber Sports Master

What is the full offer? If Markstrom is the main part of the deal that you would receive I have no idea why you would be considering something like that. Smith is a good goalie whether you like him or not. 14 teams, start two goalies = 28 starters. Trading away a starting goalie and not receiving one back seems foolhardy.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Markstrom would be the worst piece (at least in my eyes) but I think you guys are right that I need a goalie back.
    What is the full package?

I would expect a very solid top-line forward or top-pairing defenceman, plus a GOOD (non-Markdtrom) goalie prospect.

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Dobber Sports Padawan

What is the full package?

I would expect a very solid top-line forward or top-pairing defenceman, plus a GOOD (non-Markdtrom) goalie prospect.
    Jordan Staal, Ho-Sang, Baertschi, and Markstrom. Not very exciting hence my question initially was more in general about going down to 2 goalies.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jordan Staal, Ho-Sang, Baertschi, and Markstrom. Not very exciting hence my question initially was more in general about going down to 2 goalies.
    Yeah - Big NO to that package.

There is some sense in going down to two legit starters (plus Gustavsson), it gives you, in theory another strong roster player, who will see more "starts" than your third goalie - but there is also some risk - are you happy running Howard/Gustavsson if Crawford gets hurt?

You could explore sending Smith for Raanta, giving you a solid roster player in return, plus insurance if Crawford goes down, as Raanta will get those same starts.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - Crawford for Raanta + +

Not straight across, I wasn't clear in my earlier post.

Dobber Sports Master

A polite "no thanks" to that deal is appropriate.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah - Big NO to that package.

There is some sense in going down to two legit starters (plus Gustavsson), it gives you, in theory another strong roster player, who will see more "starts" than your third goalie - but there is also some risk - are you happy running Howard/Gustavsson if Crawford gets hurt?

You could explore sending Smith for Raanta, giving you a solid roster player in return, plus insurance if Crawford goes down, as Raanta will get those same starts.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - Crawford for Raanta + +

Not straight across, I wasn't clear in my earlier post.
    You mean getting Raanta in a separate deal and dealing Smith? This way I would have 2 starting goalies but have their backups.

Dobber Sports Veteran

You mean getting Raanta in a separate deal and dealing Smith? This way I would have 2 starting goalies but have their backups.
    Yes - get the best return you can for Smith, but get Crawford's backup as an insurance policy in case he goes down with injury.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yes - get the best return you can for Smith, but get Crawford's backup as an insurance policy in case he goes down with injury.
    That might be a good idea. Thanks.

So the guy who wants Smith has Galchenyuk and Huberdeau. Would a package of one of them plus Markstrom be a reasonable? I was thinking Galchenyuk.