Thread: J Schultz vs Radim Vrbata

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default J Schultz vs Radim Vrbata

Gut reaction, which player holds more value in a keeper league which tracks points, +/-, Hits, Blocks, Ice time (SH/PP/EV), and penalites are negative.

Contracts are not a factor and number of keepers is so high as to not be a factor.

Another way to ask the question may be 'Which player is further above replacement level given the position they play?'

Assume positions are F and D, with very little difference between wingers and centers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: J Schultz vs Radim Vrbata

Can you give us an idea of what "replacement level" is in your league, a couple of examples off the waiver wire for both F and D?
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm pretty sure Vrbata is further away from replacement level than Schultz.

Schultz is all hype, he hasn't shown much in the NHL.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    Can you give us an idea of what "replacement level" is in your league, a couple of examples off the waiver wire for both F and D?
    Replacement level is perhaps the wrong word now that I think of it because there are 30 teams with 40 man rosters, so finding anyone is basically impossible. So, maybe the question is more about which type of player is easier to acquire via trade down the road, all other factors being equal. A winger like Vrbata (you know what you're getting, and he produces alright), or a defenseman like Schultz (flashes of high end point production, but young and needs a map in his own zone)

Dobber Sports Veteran

1200 players deep? Mercy!

I would take the safe points with Vrbata I think - league this deep you can't afford to swap a 30-goal man for a potential bust IMO.

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    I'm pretty sure Vrbata is further away from replacement level than Schultz.

Schultz is all hype, he hasn't shown much in the NHL.
    12th in D points 2 seasons ago and 38th in D points last year - top 10 both seasons in goals for D. I'm not sure it's entirely fair to say he is all hype and hasn't shown much at the NHL level. I do sare some concerns about his defensive ability making him too big a liability to give big minutes too though, which is why I wonder.

Dobber Sports Ninja

1200 players deep? Mercy!

I would take the safe points with Vrbata I think - league this deep you can't afford to swap a 30-goal man for a potential bust IMO.
    Yeah, sort of my line of thinking as well. If Schultz really takes the next step I might be kicking myself, that's my only concern. I'm pretty conservative in trades, and hate taking Oilers on my team, so thought I'd throw this idea out at least to see what people thought.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Yeah, sort of my line of thinking as well. If Schultz really takes the next step I might be kicking myself, that's my only concern. I'm pretty conservative in trades, and hate taking Oilers on my team, so thought I'd throw this idea out at least to see what people thought.
    You said yourself in the RNH post that you think that he (and by extension Perron, Yakupov, Arcobello, and Eberle*) will struggle offensively due to the lack of a true #2 Center. If that's really how you see things, then is Schultz really primed for a breakout?

Goligoski is primed for a big year because Dallas has the talent and the depth to make the #1 defenceman on that team a stud. If in your view Edmonton isn't, then why gamble on Schultz?

**I don't include Hall on this list as he produces well no matter how brightly the Edmonton dumpster fire is burning.

Dobber Sports Ninja

You said yourself in the RNH post that you think that he (and by extension Perron, Yakupov, Arcobello, and Eberle*) will struggle offensively due to the lack of a true #2 Center. If that's really how you see things, then is Schultz really primed for a breakout?

Goligoski is primed for a big year because Dallas has the talent and the depth to make the #1 defenceman on that team a stud. If in your view Edmonton isn't, then why gamble on Schultz?

**I don't include Hall on this list as he produces well no matter how brightly the Edmonton dumpster fire is burning.
    This is a really good point. Even if Schultz gets 40 points this year due to Ramsay fixing the powerplay he's still not going to be better than Vrbata I suppose. Good stuff.