Page 101 of 310 FirstFirst ... 51 91 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 4638

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The Average tax rate for a Boston NHL athlete (just using NHL athletes because I know the numbers), is 42.93%. Toronto’s is 48.43%.

Signs a 30mill/yr contract doesn’t he get taxed in Canadian dollars tho? So 30mill US = 39,885,000 CAD, Taxed 48.43% = $19,316,305.5CAD – 39,885,000 = $20,568,694.50 = $15,471,000USD TAKE HOME IN TORONTO vs. 30millUSD taxed 42.93% = $17,121,000 USD TAKE HOME PAY

Toronto Take home = $15,471,000USD Boston take home = $17,121,000USD = a difference of $1,650,000USD/yr

I could be 100% wrong. But that’s how I see it. So for money, Toronto has to offer roughly 3mill/yr more than Boston than the dollar figures are the same.33mill/yr in Toronto = 30mill/yr in Boston in take home pay.

As per defense. Toronto has arguably the best 3B, 2B, SS trio in the business, a CF who could have won gold glover this yr (was nominated for it), a LF who is very good defensively (remember we only had him for 1/3rd of the season), and a RF who is hungry to win and has a cannon of an arm (which was hurt most of the season). Then he’s throwing to one of the top catchers in the league. If they trade one of the CF or LF, they have Pompey who defensively is right up there too. And they have Saunders

Pitching staff wise, he’s an instant ace, with Stroman (who he really took a liking too), Estrada who had a surprisingly good yr (and was cool as a cucumber in the playoffs), and a guy who can eat 200ip (Dickey).

I’m not saying Toronto is a lock to sign him, or has the higher chance than Boston, I’m just saying you are not giving Toronto the credit it deserves. Give the defensive lineup of Toronto the credit it deserves, the biggest hole in their defensive lineup is 3B backup (Donaldson can play 150+ games anyways), 2B back up (Kawasaki can do it tho), and 1B. 1B is more of a “what position in our starting lineup is the weakest?”. They don’t really need to upgrade there at all. Colly was fine.

If Price is worried about Toronto’s prospects, he could sign a 7yr deal with a player option after the 3rd yr.
    FWIW, I think Bautista is the weakest link defensively on that team. Great arm but is just weak defensively.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    FWIW, I think Bautista is the weakest link defensively on that team. Great arm but is just weak defensively.
    I agree. He looked really bad in the outfield during the playoffs.

The Rosenthal article threw a bunch of cold water on Price coming back to Toronto. He has an excellent track record for these kinds of things. Although he's not completely shutting the door, he's saying he doubts Rogers will pony up the money required to get the deal done, even if Price likes and wants to return to Toronto.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I agree. He looked really bad in the outfield during the playoffs.

The Rosenthal article threw a bunch of cold water on Price coming back to Toronto. He has an excellent track record for these kinds of things. Although he's not completely shutting the door, he's saying he doubts Rogers will pony up the money required to get the deal done, even if Price likes and wants to return to Toronto.
    That's the sad part right there. I wonder how much money Rogers made after the trade deadline last year? I can only imagine how silly that number is and the proof that the investment is worth it.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

That's the sad part right there. I wonder how much money Rogers made after the trade deadline last year? I can only imagine how silly that number is and the proof that the investment is worth it.
    They’ve gone with Dynamic Ticket Pricing for the first time (I think ever). They know how much money they can bring in from ticket sales this yr.

Tickets have gone up in price by 10% (not that much considering), and opening night went up 50% (14.50 for 500s now $21ish). Still not a lot of money, but they’ve raised the prices knowing people will pay.

I like how the media has fixated on Price coming back to Toronto and not any other free agent that would fit the organization. Justin Morneau is a Canadian 1B, you’d think they would try and toss some fuel on a fire where he’d come “home”. He hit 0.310 last yr, and 0.319 the yr before.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would rather Greinke over Price anyway.. Go for Greinke!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I would rather Greinke over Price anyway.. Go for Greinke!!
    He ain't leaving the West Coast. He'll either 're-sign with the Dodgers or head to SF.

He ain't leaving the West Coast. He'll either 're-sign with the Dodgers or head to SF.
    I heard St.Louis was making a big play for him aswell..

The Great One

Lead story on TSN right now says David Price would have been happy to return to the Jays and that they were one of his top choices. Source is Price's agents.

As a casual / bandwagon baseball fan, I've lost all interest in the Jays with AA's departure.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I wouldn't put too much stock into that. I feel like his agent is just being a shit disturber.

The Jays could have made an offer, but they wouldn't have come anywhere close to the Red Sox's offer.

I'd be curious to know what AA's contract offer would have looked like though.

The Great One

What incentive does Price's agent have to be a sh!t disturber? At least AA would have tried to re-sign him. This new guys is basically saying that his goal is to have a middle of the pack team, with lots of good prospects on the farm. Who wants to watch that?

Dobber Sports Titan

He also turned down an offer from the Cards for 7yrs 190mill. The Jays would have had to at least match that.

The Jays talked to him informally and I bet it was the Jays saying they can only do 5 yrs, and him saying he wants at least 7. So there would never have been a reason to put in an offer.

When he says it’s, “one of his top choices” that’s if money isn’t involved. He was wanting to get paid.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm with Steve Philips, I think it's BS. He wanted the money and was going where the money was being offered. I am sure he enjoyed his time in TO and the friends he made on the team, but Toronto would have had to match or beat the Boston offer and that wasn't going to happen, thank god.

http://www.tsn.ca/agent-price-would-...-jays-1.405088

When is all this bullpen help being added?? Osuna Sanchez and Cecil can't do it all.. I'm sorry, but I don't see the Jays putting up 10-12 runs every game again this year.. And please please please please please get rid of Loup..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Yup, 100% agreed.
    And they lost some good bullpen depth when they traded Hendricks. Granted, I think he might have been a good sell-high based on his career numbers, but he still deserves credit for a solid season last year.

On a sidenote, teams are (apparently) calling on Hutchison. http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/906535

My first reaction was "yeah, right" - nice media psychology, Shapiro, trying to boost a crap player's value.
    Then I remembered that Hutchison was a complete jekyll and hyde last year, pitching extremely well at home (at a hitter's park, no less) and terrible on the road.
    So it does make sense that teams would be interested in taking a chance on him.

I would move him to restock the prospect cupboard, assuming they can get a decent return from a team starving for a rotation guy.
    And the yr before he was terrible at home and great away. It’s just a mental thing and he is under team control for a while. For a team trying to find a cheap, 5th option, he could be a great add for a team. Get him in the NL and he could have a great yr.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    And the yr before he was terrible at home and great away. It’s just a mental thing and he is under team control for a while. For a team trying to find a cheap, 5th option, he could be a great add for a team. Get him in the NL and he could have a great yr.
    I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the butt like it did when we let Chris Carpenter go.. Yes Chris was always injured, but as soon as he left T.O. he became a stud pitcher.. Just trade Loup so I can throw a party, PLEASE!!