Thread: General question about trading players in different positions.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default General question about trading players in different positions.

I'm looking for some opinions and advice on how to handle these types of trades. Is the value of a 40 point D equivalent to a 60 point forward? Or a top-10 goalie for a 60 point forward?
    I'm still new to this and my pool is rather deep with 360 players (League set-up in sig.). I'm finding it really tough to find fair trades. Also, our league feels a bit lop-sided and I'm near the bottom. The top 3 guys had around 1250 pts and I was at around 900. I need to get my 40 point avg/player up to 60 points so when I see a deal like this it seems good, but I'm just not sure.

Is OEL for Skinner fair? If not, how do you go about balancing something like this out? How relevant is the rest of our roster?

All thoughts are welcome.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: General question about trading players in different positions.

Relative value is typically based on one of two benchmarks:

1) The last "counting" player
    2) The waiver wire player

Questions:
    i) How many teams in your league?
    ii) How many players at each position?

What I usually do is count the "counting players", so a 12-team 9F/6D format "counts" 108F and 72D. (You can also consider including "bench" players in your count, if it is a "daily set" league and your bench players get used.)
    Then I look at past full years of NHL stats and find out the point-total of forward #108F and defenseman #72D.

Last year, for example:
    F #108 scored 43pts. Thus, if you value Skinner at 60pts, he's a relative +17pt player.
    D #72 scored 23pts. Thus, if you value OEL at 45pts, he's a relative +22pt player.
    From there, I'll compare trade value players to these amounts.

In this case, OEL > Skinner... which most of us would probably suggest, without even doing the calculation.

And generally, yeah... it's something like a 20pt difference... 60pt forwards ~ 40pt defenseman... in most leagues.

But this is how to do the math. (or... at least, how I do it.)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This is pretty much a perfect question for one of P7s breakdowns. Hopefully he jumps on an does one haha.

The Great One

and there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    and there you go.
    God he even beat me to saying he should respond lol. What a beast.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    God he even beat me to saying he should respond lol. What a beast.
    LOL. Thanks!
    Last night, my men's league team got absolutely shellacked by the young 20-something kid team that entered our league this season.
    We took like 20 penalties because we were so frustrated that we were getting pounded.
    We have one guy on the team named "Dave"... and he took several penalties.

After the game, in the lockerroom - we are talking about Dave and somebody says "Dave's a beast".
    Which made me smile (and I remember this story because you say "beast").
    But I paused and said "No... Dave's a killer. Dave's a killer!!"

Moral of the Story: It is fun when you know the right thing to say!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Questions:

What I usually do is count the "counting players", so a 12-team 9F/6D format "counts" 108F and 72D. (You can also consider including "bench" players in your count, if it is a "daily set" league and your bench players get used.)
    Then I look at past full years of NHL stats and find out the point-total of forward #108F and defenseman #72D.

Last year, for example:
    F #108 scored 43pts. Thus, if you value Skinner at 60pts, he's a relative +17pt player.
    D #72 scored 23pts. Thus, if you value OEL at 45pts, he's a relative +22pt player.

In this case, OEL > Skinner... which most of us would probably suggest, without even doing the calculation.

And generally, yeah... it's something like a 20pt difference... 60pt forwards ~ 40pt defenseman... in most leagues.

That is a good system for levelling the field, rep given! My gut told me OEL > Skinner, and your math supports it too. So I tried to "level" it a bit, by adding his Strome and said he could take one of my 40pt F. No response.

Our league is 10 teams with 15F dressed and many more on the bench. It's tough to gain any traction when the top 200F are already taken.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Questions:

Last year, for example:

I agree with your calculations and way of thinking when comparing an offensive Dman to a forward. Unfortunately most in my leagues don't see it this way. Trying to trade a 40pt Dman like Roman Josi for a 60pt forward is like pulling teeth. It barely happens even though I agree it should be a fair trade for both sides.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I agree with your calculations and way of thinking when comparing an offensive Dman to a forward. Unfortunately most in my leagues don't see it this way. Trying to trade a 40pt Dman like Roman Josi for a 60pt forward is like pulling teeth. It barely happens even though I agree it should be a fair trade for both sides.
    My league is like this too. I doubt I could trade Josi for a third round pick this year (and keep in mind we have 12 teams all keeping 17 players...that's over 200 players already off the board!) so the third round is players like 229-240, and as such why I don't even consider keeping him. He should be an easy redraft for me next season, while Yak and Toffoli and the new draft picks all might be first rounders

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Personally, I keep OEL over Skinner..

There are a lot more 50-60 point forwards out there then there are 40-50 point dmen..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    My league is like this too. I doubt I could trade Josi for a third round pick this year (and keep in mind we have 12 teams all keeping 17 players...that's over 200 players already off the board!) so the third round is players like 229-240, and as such why I don't even consider keeping him. He should be an easy redraft for me next season, while Yak and Toffoli and the new draft picks all might be first rounders
    I hope you're winning this league. Sounds like a good situation for you!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    In my 12 team league, im the only one that keeps 3 defs (above 50pts plus multicat) and dress minimum 6 defence. And other GMs continuously downplay my strategy. Well, Pengwin7's system, amongst other things, got me two championship in a row.

D's have the lowest trade value and being the most neglected asset while being the most important position IMO
    Keeper league H2H weekly (12 teams, 22P, 12K)
    9 Skater stats: P, G, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, Shots, Hits, BS -- 4 Goalie stats: W, SO, Save%, GAA%
    C: Dubois, Hischier, Patrick
    W: Rakell, Pastrnak, Ferland, Ho-Sang
    D: Dumba, Klingberg, Rielly, Klefbom
    G: Raanta, Grubauer
    Bench: Hart, C. Anderson, Kinkaid, M. Smith, Werenski, Myers, Zadina, Ferland, Ho-Sang,