Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay to use a GM's preference to your advantage in a trade?‏

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Is it okay to use a GM's preference to your advantage in a trade?‏

After being in a league for awhile we all come to realized our fellow GMs little favorites and preferences. (E.g. favorite team, nationality, if they are a prospect hoarder etc.,) Do you find it is okay to use this to your advantage in a trade? I have tailored trades specific to other GMs that would contain a lesser prospect/player but one who is on their favorite team or of a particular nationality knowing full well they would be more inclined to trade. Is this an okay thing do to or is it somewhat underhanded what the French would call Bartesque?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Is it okay to use a GM's preference to your advantage in a trade?‏

part of the game and part of what makes a good GM! 1 guy loves prospects you throw 2 at him for an established player, guy like Red Wings well you know where to shop Datsyuk etc....
    Yahoo keeper (10) 10 TEAMS Standard Scoring
    G(5) A(3) Pims(.25) Shots(.1) Blocks(.1) GWG(3) SHG(3) PPG(1) +-(1) W(10) L(-5) GA(-1) Saves(.2) SO(10)
    3 C 3 RW 3 LW 6 D 2 G 5 Bench 2 IR 1 IR+

C: Thornton Datsyuk (LW) Eakin Nylander (RW)
    LW: Gaudraue Pacioretty Galchenyuk (LW) Burakovsky
    RW: Stone Williams Kucherov Jagr
    D: Subban Muzzin E. Ekman-Larsson Vatanen Paryako J. Schultz
    G: Elliot Luongo F.Anderson C.Johnson
    IR: Schneider Seguin (C)

Dobber Sports Star

i dont see why this wouldnt be okay unless youre outright trade-raping the other team
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think it's one of those things that if you don't exploit, someone else will. Not everyone seems to catch on to the trends and mannerisms of other managers, so if you have, you might as well use it to your advantage before someone else does and it bites you in the butt. In the end, it's a deal that makes both of you happy, so what's the harm really?

Dobber Sports Monster

There's nothing wrong with using those things to your advantage. At the end of the day you are catering to what the other GM wants. They are free to reject your attempts to cater to their biases if they are offended, but more than likely they are unaware of their bias because they don't see it as so. I see no reason why you should tell another GM what they should or shouldn't want. If they agree to your trade then both sides are happy and nothing more should be worried about.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Veteran

Take every advantage you can think of. I've thought of making notes on owner tendencies in my leagues before but it just seems like it would take too much work.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Ace

Not only is it smart to use in trade talks but also at the draft board. I'm in Edmonton and so are most of the guys in my pool. I know that they might be reaching for guys like Eberle, Perron, Yak and J. Schultz while ignoring guys they don't particularly like as Oilers fans such as Monahan, Cammalleri, the Sedins etc. Also means if I have a top guy from a GMs favorite team, you can bet I'm starting trade negotiations with him.

Being in certain areas you are also exposed to more media and social propaganda in regards to prospects as well as players for the home team. This will inflate their value and somewhat distract from other potential guys.

This obviously won't always be the case with more experienced GMs but part of being a good GM is knowing potential weaknesses to "exploit" in your league and how to go about it. Let the media and biases help you.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Banned

Absolutely! I take every advantage I can.

I am in a league with friends, and all of us know our stuff. So if I can milk a trade, and rape a guy I would do that too.

Doesn't happen often though, but definitely play to other GM's weaknesses. We are allowed to trade add/drops (we have a yearly max) and one gm uses A TON! so these always sweeten the pot when he runs low

Dobber Sports Genius

That's the business of trades. He gets what he wants, you get what you want, you both feel like you win.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In some leagues not all the guys are all about winning, the simply want to have a competitive team they can identify with - so feed those guys with "emotional value" to get real fantasy hockey value. No need to have second thoughts if a Edm fan gives you Benn for Yakupov IMO...

Your post just made me think of this follow-up question:
    How bad is it to know your own weaknes and not be able to do much against it?
    I'm a very competitive GM, but being Swiss I have a soft spot there and I keep holding on waaay too long to my countrymen. I should have dropped Gerber earlier back in the days, same goes for Brunner and Streit and will probably be true for Hiller, Josi, Niederreiter and so on...
    Ah well....

What's your weaknes that you can't overcome?
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Banned

I don't see why not

Dobber Sports Giant

thats compleatly fine. giving a guy his favorite players or teams players is a good thing.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Star

I don't think you'd be a good GM if you didn't.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sometimes fantasy hockey is like poker. If a guy shows u a tell u use it. The difference is in poker u get rewarded for the better hand in a showdown. In fantasy hockey when u lay down the cards both players can feel happy about what they see. U might think u have won the pot but if all those chips go to russia the other guy might make it to the finals

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    In some leagues not all the guys are all about winning, the simply want to have a competitive team they can identify with - so feed those guys with "emotional value" to get real fantasy hockey value. No need to have second thoughts if a Edm fan gives you Benn for Yakupov IMO...

Your post just made me think of this follow-up question:
    How bad is it to know your own weaknes and not be able to do much against it?
    I'm a very competitive GM, but being Swiss I have a soft spot there and I keep holding on waaay too long to my countrymen. I should have dropped Gerber earlier back in the days, same goes for Brunner and Streit and will probably be true for Hiller, Josi, Niederreiter and so on...
    Ah well....

What's your weaknes that you can't overcome?
    My weakness is I want to get a trade done so if they do not get back soon I'll add something else to it and probably should have just waited and I would have been fine. I usually have to watch myself about it all the time.