Thread: Marchand / Monahan

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Marchand / Monahan

Recently stumbled onto this forum and thought i would join to gain some more insight...

I am in the midst of trying to determine my last keeper. We need to keep 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G and we have 2 UTIL spots (of which one can be a G). I have decided to keep Rask and Varly (no brainers) and use 1 utli spot on Allen since he will be the #1 in time with STL. That leaves me with one remaining UTIL spot to keep. I am currently torn between Marchand and Monahan. The 'little ball of hate' Marchand seems to have decent pts, pims and +/- (thanks Rask) but seems to get PP neglect in Bos. I like Monahan and what his first year production - which leads me to waiver on which one to keep.

Looking now and also 2-3 years out who would you prefer? I think Monahan but would be curious to know others thoughts.

I did win my league last year (and would certainly like to repeat) so can tolerate a development piece in Monahan if it makes sense. This is an expansion year for us as well (to get us to 12 teams) so i suspect either would be taken in the expansion draft.

Thoughts and thanks for any feedback?
    12 Team Keeper (keep 14)
    G,A,+/-,PIMS, GWG, W,SA, SO

C - Seguin, Monahan, RNH
    RW - Mackinnon, Duchene, Hornqvist
    LW -Hoffman, Marleau, Panik,
    D - Fowler, Hedman, Ristolainen, Barrie, Klefbom, Goligoski
    Util - Coyle, Tatar, Little, Ladd,
    Goalie - Rask, Varly
    , Grubauer, Forsberg, Bobby Lou

2013/2014 League Champion

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Marchand / Monahan

Be interesting to see how PP time shakes out in Boston sans Inginla. I think he gets PP2 time (Marchand) at least next year.
    20 team keeper
    G=1.7 A=1
    Def G=2.5 A=1.5
    Hits, BS, SOG, +/-= .1
    maj (+1) SHPTs (+1)

Centers: T. Hertl/R.N.H/P. Zacha/W. Karlsson/J. Kotkaniemi/T. Zegras
    Wings: A. Burakovsky/A. Mantha/R. Rickell/A. Duclair/
    Defense: J. Drysdale/O.E.L/R. Pulock/D. Fabbro/J. Schultz/M. Ferraro
    Goalies: R. Lehner
    Prospects: R. Damiani/A. Raty/R. Suzuki/R. Amirov/N. Chibrikov/J. Perreault/A. Volkov/D. Farrance/F. Gustavsson/L. Dostal

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In my opinion I would keep Marchand for the following reasons:
    - Marchand is a multi-category stud the only thing that he doesn't get is PP time. Honestly I don't think that he will get it this year either. They just seem to prefer to play him in other situations.
    - Given that Monahan is in Calgary his +/- for the near future will not be positive, where as Marchand's will be positive.
    - Marchand is a winger and wingers are typically harder positions to fill.
    - With Marchand you pretty much know what you are going to get, with Monahan you don't really know. Will he improve or will he hit that second year wall.
    C:Barbashev,Monahan,stephensen,Jenner, Bennett
    LW:Forsberg,Huberdeau,Jeannot, Kreider, Marchand
    RW: Konecny, Pastrnak, Kaliyev,Zadina, Zuccarello, Wheeler
    D: Bouchard, Carlson, Chabot, Jones, Pietrangelo, Weegar, Valimaki
    G:Hart, Vanecek, Montembeau

Forward Prospects: Frost, Glass, Kostin, Tomasino, Berggren, McLeod R., Veleno, Robertson N., Lapierre, Nadeau, Suzuki, Thomas, Barlow,Jarventie, Martino, Bokk, Edmonds, Firkus, Lysell, Rosen
    Defense Prospects:Walman, Liljegren, Benoit, Grans, Korchinski
    Goalie Prospects: Francouz, Vladar, Ersson, Rodrigue, Bjarnason

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There is a good chance Marchand gets traded sometime this off-season so it's not a certainty that he remains with the same value. His true asset in your format is Pims, which you can easily find elsewhere. He does chip in with some offense and yes he is a winger, but in this case, Monahan is just simply the better all around talent to hold in a keeper league especially 2-3 years out from now. Your right Monahan will mostly likely a negative +/- but he's already showed us some of that huge talent with being a 20 goal scorer in his rookie season. Monahan also fits the " age" makeup of your team nicely. Your a young team. Also, Monahan will most likely fetch you better trade offers as guys love the young up-and-coming players. I go with Monahan here.

Dobber Sports Genius

In a keeper, I would ride Monahan.....
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).