Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Antti Niemi or Steve Mason

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Antti Niemi or Steve Mason

Post is for the League in my Signature.

With all the uncertainty swirling around Antti Niemi this year, I took a flyer on Steve Mason late in our Free Agent Draft this year (literally the last pick of the draft). I couldn't beleive he was still out there that late, so I grabbed him.

Schneider is Schneider - for the first time ever I'm not worried about him. He posted 3.05 FP/G with limited starts.

Two years ago Niemi was THE best goalie in this league - his 164.4 Fantasy Points was second only to Ovechkin.

Last year he was the 10th best goalie - 3.46 FP/G and 221.7 total Fantasy Points.

Mason was the 11th best goalie - 3.52 FP/G and 214.75 total Fantasy Points.

I don't want to run 3 goalies --> we only start one per period.

So who are my two? Niemi & Schneider, Schneider and Mason, or Mason and Niemi?
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Antti Niemi or Steve Mason

My faith in these guys:

Schneider
    Niemi
    Mason

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My faith in these guys:

Schneider
    Niemi
    Mason
    I'll have some of what Penguin is having

The Great One

Why not try and move Niemi and Mason for a bonafide...

Dobber Sports Deity

In my opinion:

Niemi > Mason
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks folks, looks like I'll be standing pat on Schneider and Niemi -

I'll see if any other GM wants to give me something for Mason.

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Dobber Sports Veteran

THREAD NECRO'D!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness - I've been working through this quietly, and ran Dobber's Guide numbers into my projections:

Based on Dobber's numbers for Starts, Wins, and Shutouts, and using projections in terms of Saves and Goals Against, based on last year (pro-rated for number of starts projected in the Guide), here's what I came up with:

Mason: 207.15 Total Fantasy Points - 3.29 FP/G
    Schneider: 199.9 Total Fantasy Points - 2.98 FP/G
    Niemi: 162.5 Total Fantasy Points - 3.07 FP/G

So based on Dobber's projections, Mason would not only be my best goalie - he would be my best by a fairly wide margin.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Because I'm really tearing my hair out on this one...

Dobber Sports Stud

I like Mason, I'd run with him over Niemi at this point. First time in a long time I've had any confidence in a Philly goaltender.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    I like Mason, I'd run with him over Niemi at this point. First time in a long time I've had any confidence in a Philly goaltender.
    Thanks Petegreg - it's weird for me too.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like Niemi here. He's a cup champion and I think he'll hold Stalack in check and keep his starting gig. I like San Jose better as a team top to bottom. I also feel Mason will not duplicate last years production and couple that with IMO a weaker defense in front of him than that of Niemi in SJ.

Dobber Sports Deity

You know your league and the setup best, but if you are asking who the better goalie is, I still say Niemi is a better goalie than Mason.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

this niemi stuff reminds me a few years ago when quick vs bernier was a big debate. i'd buy low on niemi every oppurtunity i can, i don't see the goalie market being that great the next couple seasons, so unless stalock plays insane i think niemi is fine. most leagues don't count playoffs so niemi is essentially the fleury of the west.

my advice, keep schneider and neimi, and if you are really uncomfortable keeping niemi, wait 10 or so games into the season as the sharks usually enter the season on fire for some reason. once he wins 8/10 games or whatever, then trade him while his value is high.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Ryker View Post
    I like Niemi here. He's a cup champion and I think he'll hold Stalack in check and keep his starting gig. I like San Jose better as a team top to bottom. I also feel Mason will not duplicate last years production and couple that with IMO a weaker defense in front of him than that of Niemi in SJ.
    Yeah, but we count Saves as a pretty major stat - it's one of the reasons Mason is so valuable.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Last year Mason had 1606 svs vs Niemi with 1556. Not a huge difference to useas one of the main reasons to decipher what to do with this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    Yeah, but we count Saves as a pretty major stat - it's one of the reasons Mason is so valuable.

Dobber Sports Star

I would be holding onto Niemi also.