Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ryan O'Reilly and the Avs

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Ryan O'Reilly and the Avs

Winning does take the stench off a bad contract dispute, to be sure - But O'Reilly is just so mercenary and public about the airing of his dirty laundry.

I LOVE the Avs, and would like to cheer for O'Reilly, but I just can't help but dislike him.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I've come full circle on him. He's one of the smart ones. You don't get many kicks at the contract can. Milk it for all its worth.
    It's sad but its the truth.. After players are retired, there's no going back for more money!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

The Great One

We honestly don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it is nonetheless troublesome when certain players end up in the same situation time and again...O'Reilly, Schultz, and Subban are some that come to mind. For whatever reason, contract negotiations are always difficult with those players. Makes me wonder if it is their agents or the players themselves.

Ultimately I'm sure the players don't care what public perception is of them. They are all only one hit away from a career-ending injury, so they want to get the money they feel they are worth.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

So he makes a stink over a contract, racks up a couple extra million, but if his team is winning all will be forgotten and forgiven. Not a lot of guys complaining about Kyle Turris or Justin Schultz (and they both are on bad teams), and they pulled stunts like this as well.
    Though Turris got jettisoned lol.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    We honestly don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it is nonetheless troublesome when certain players end up in the same situation time and again...O'Reilly, Schultz, and Subban are some that come to mind. For whatever reason, contract negotiations are always difficult with those players. Makes me wonder if it is their agents or the players themselves.

Ultimately I'm sure the players don't care what public perception is of them. They are all only one hit away from a career-ending injury, so they want to get the money they feel they are worth.
    To be fair, Subban has wanted a long-term contract from Montreal both times in this situation, and wants to stay. It was Montreal who stuck to their guns to only give him a bridge contract. Now they will be paying for that decision. Schultz used the signing loophole to become a FA out of college (to think he could have been in Anaheim as well?????). O'Reilly is the only one who has (through his father and agent) been all about the money primarily. Which is too bad. You remember playing hockey for a long time... but I would bet you remember playing on a great team and potentially hoisting a Stanley Cup that much more.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Though Turris got jettisoned lol.
    True enough. He's not really given a villain tag these days for the most part, that's all.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I don't think the Av's will let anyone fleece them like the Senators did to the Coyotes in that Turris trade..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

True enough. He's not really given a villain tag these days for the most part, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    To be fair, Subban has wanted a long-term contract from Montreal both times in this situation, and wants to stay. It was Montreal who stuck to their guns to only give him a bridge contract. Now they will be paying for that decision. Schultz used the signing loophole to become a FA out of college (to think he could have been in Anaheim as well?????). O'Reilly is the only one who has (through his father and agent) been all about the money primarily. Which is too bad. You remember playing hockey for a long time... but I would bet you remember playing on a great team and potentially hoisting a Stanley Cup that much more.
    I total forgot about Turris, he was absolutely a part of that. Though no one compares to Lindros in that regard.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    I total forgot about Turris, he was absolutely a part of that. Though no one compares to Lindros in that regard.
    Amen. Michael Peca is another one that comes to mind..

I mean, look, players are contractual parties, like teams. It is up to them if they want to sign or not and with whom etc. People are free to choose where they work, mostly. However it's the ridiculously inflated or deflated valuations that get me, as well as this idea that you have to scratch out an extra couple of hundred K, when really, it's a drop in a bucket for guys like O'Reilly and he stands to make more in endorsements and alike if he just focuses on winning, rather than by way of his base contract.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

O'Reilly signed for two years, $5.8 and $6.2 the next two years. Becomes a UFA after that for his big payday, though $6.0M/year is plenty good on it's own. It's good for team continuity and solidifying the lines, keeps his average cap hit at Duchene's level, so those things are positives. Still not the biggest fan of how it all happened but at least it's now behind them and can start focusing on the season.