Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ryan O'Reilly and the Avs

Banned

Default Re: Ryan O'Reilly and the Avs

Blame the Oilers and their contracys, not Feaster.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The kid is a talented defensive hockey player, but part of me would love to see him get no contract from anywhere and be forced to hit up Siberia to go play.
    Now by "Siberia" you mean "Edmonton", right? Right?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Blame the Oilers and their contracys, not Feaster.
    Um huh? I'm not sure I'm following your line of thinking here. I like to blame the Oilers for a lot of things, but what's the connection here?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Um huh? I'm not sure I'm following your line of thinking here. I like to blame the Oilers for a lot of things, but what's the connection here?
    Because.... Logic? No reason to bring oilers into this at all.
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Banned

Eberle? Rnh? Six million greenbacks. ROR being better than both. The market value lets him ask a lot. It's not just the Oilers, but they are easy targets... Plus, the feaster comment was out to lunch!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Eberle? Rnh? Six million greenbacks. ROR being better than both. The market value lets him ask a lot. It's not just the Oilers, but they are easy targets... Plus, the feaster comment was out to lunch!
    Hall/Eberle/RNH all signed long term and are inked to 6-7 year deals. This was a great move by the franchise. Plus, I believe none of them have NTC/NMCs in play giving the Oilers even more flexibility in terms of trading any of them.

Mark this - All three contracts will be bargains in the end, especially in the latter years of the deals.

Dobber Sports Stud

I would say Hall is already there for sure. Eberle too IMO. Nuge will get there this year.

Just think what Hall would get next year if/when he puts up another ppg season
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Deity

The Feaster comment our newly crowned troll is referring to come from me and 27blue simply enjoys trolling my comments as of late.

The comment wasn't out to lunch at all and is exactly the reason the Avalanche are in this position.

Dobber doesn't think I should call you an idiot because it may come off as a personal attack so I won't call you an idiot. Instead I'll let you simply show dumb your are by making stupid comments that everyone else can read and let them make their own judgement on your intellect. Good job, you continue to impress many.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    If arbitration gives him more than $6M per year, I can see the Avs walking. Sakic is on record as saying there is a pay structure with the team and that the best players are being paid accordingly. Duchene is at a $6M cap hit, Varlamov is $5.9M, Landeskog is $5.571M. He won't accept anyone being paid more and that's one of the big reasons Stastny wasn't re-signed at the value St. Louis gave him. There is no way he should be making more than Duchene, Duchene is simply the better player. Debate the cap changes and inflation at length on this one, but that's what the Avs are doing.
    this is a great way to go for teams imo, don't buckle and bend to the stupidity of other GMs

Detroit did this for a little while with players, including UFAs they courted, with regards to Nick Lidstrom's contract

players were told in no uncertain terms that there was no chance they were going to get a deal with a bigger cap hit than Lidstrom because there was no way in hell they would be more valuable to the team than Nick Lidstrom

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    If arbitration gives him more than $6M per year, I can see the Avs walking.
    I thought under the new CBA, teams are not allowed to walk away from the decision if it is over a certain amount (2.5M /year, I believe)
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Ninja

An interesting perspective. Can't say I share it though.

Dobber Sports Padawan

One other thing to remember here, and it's a simple valid point between the two teams.

Colorado and O'Reilly couldn't agree the first time about his value, and because of Calgary's offer sheet he was overpaid for what he had provided up to that time, a two year $5M AAV contract. They weren't prepared to let him go to a division rival and made a hockey decision which paid off this year, but not just because of him. It's only the structure of that deal that forced the Avs to go through arbitration now to keep their system in line. O'Reilly didn't like it then, and he doesn't like it now. At some point it has to be about the team, and unfortunately the only constant here has been ROR believing something more than that. I am a huge Avs fan and would hate to see him traded, but you have to draw the line. And if I'm a player, looking at two HOF people in Sakic and Roy, I think you need to tell yourself this is a dream scenario for how to have a successful NHL career.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't think it's about the team. I honestly think he believes the drivel that his father is trying to feed people about getting paid because of character.

His father said:

"If my son was getting 95 in math we wouldn’t ask him to get 65 so the rest of the students in the classroom could feel better about themselves. Many parents have stories about their kids excelling in certain areas but they are asked to tone it down because you’re making the other kids not look as good or feels good about themselves. Is this not a Testament to the fact that we are not teaching our kids character. This would never happen in the classroom. So to a kid who isn’t as Academically gifted but in the arts or character, athletically Or proficiency in a certain skill why does it have to be devalued. So we ask the person who has a tremendous amount of character to take less money for his character yet it is the essential building block any team matter of fact the key Ingredient. "

I mean, on the surface it sounds really great. The problem is that his son has earned 80% on 2 tests, and now is asking to be given an honor's degree at the University level. There is a serious disconnect happening.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

not sure if they can afford his new contract but trading him to phoenix for yandle for be very good for both sides.

Dobber Sports Novice

It's called economics. The owners are making a ton of money through TV deals and what not. If you were sitting at the table, wouldn't you be asking for more? I'd most definitely be asking for more pie.

I'm sure most of us here would gladly take a raise if we could get one. Unfortunately the majority will never make that kind of money so the perspective isn't there. I think all these comments of "home team discount", "isn't that enough", "greedy", etc boil down to simply jealousy.

Offer sheets are part of the rules. It's just another tool for a GM to better their team. Enough of all this 'unsaid rule' stuff and that it shouldn't be done. If it was that much of an issue, just remove it from the CBA.

Whoever signs O'Reilly next will try to get more term so that this whole issue doesn't arise. I'd think that if most of us were in his shoes, we would try to squeeze as much moula out as you could. It wasn't his fault he was offer-sheeted by CGY. Besides, who knows how much charity work and donations he might be involved in. I'd definitely be doing that if I had that kind of money.