Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ryan O'Reilly and the Avs

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Ryan O'Reilly and the Avs

Adrian Dater is reporting that contract talks have not really made much progress between O'Reilly and the Avs ( http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...r-talks-falter ), and it's looking like arbitration is the likely outcome. So this will mean a 1 or 2 year contract signed by him ... and then what? Free agency after that?

I've never understood what the issues are between O'Reilly and the Avs. They seem like a solid team to play for but this is the second time he's pulled this stuff with the team. There are reports that there is a lot of influence from his dad, a high performance life coach, and back in February he wrote a really odd letter that went on and on about "character" but seemed to actually be money (even though he swears it isn't!).

Is O'Reilly going to get traded by the Avs? If so, what kind of return can they expect? You have to figure any team is going to be wary of a kid who twice now has held out on coming to contract terms.

Bit of a messy situation.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Ryan O'Reilly and the Avs

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I've never understood what the issues are between O'Reilly and the Avs.
    The issue is that all O'Reilly cares about is money. Every freaking last penny. Money.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Okay, so I've heard that rumour, and it certainly appears that way. His dad also comes off as a different kind of duck.

My question is how this will turn out. If it's true that all he cares about money what will the Avs do in this case if he gets a 1 year deal? What kind of value is he going to have on the market and what team will take a chance on him, knowing that he will likely pull the same trick one year later. It's a crappy deal. The kid is a talented defensive hockey player, but part of me would love to see him get no contract from anywhere and be forced to hit up Siberia to go play. Of course that would never happen because he's too good not to get paid. Maybe he's just one of the few willing to push the current messed up system to its gory logical conclusion. If players are meant to be used as financial pawns in the NHL's billionaire game, then maybe they shouldn't be too upset when one of the pawns actually decides to pla a little chess of his own.

Dobber Sports Deity

The problem with O'Reilly stems back to Calgary and the offer sheet. They signed him to a ridiculous contract offers sheet and Colorado had to match it. It was too big at the time and now that it's ended, he feels he's due a raise above that stupid last contract.

The problem all comes back to Jay Feaster and the Flames. Sure, they were only trying to do something to improve their club at the time but it's now become the hassle that Sakic and the Av's have to deal with. Makes ya wonder if in the end it was really worth matching at all.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

they should trade the drama queen
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

ROR... {shaking head}.
    I'd bet he views himself in the $6m club.
    He should be paid high 4s, IMO... probably low 5s after the recent onslaught of new contracts though.
    I'm sure he's thinking "Dave Bolland this... Dave Bolland that".
    Way to go Dave Bolland.
    GMs are probably cursing Bolland/Viola daily.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So ... again, what do the Avs do with him if he signs a 1 year deal (or even a 2 year deal) out of arbitration. Are they keeping him or trading him?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The problem with O'Reilly stems back to Calgary and the offer sheet. They signed him to a ridiculous contract offers sheet and Colorado had to match it. It was too big at the time and now that it's ended, he feels he's due a raise above that stupid last contract.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. After being well compensated, who would would like to see their salary reduce? After more experience and technicaly being a better player? Plus everyone is getting paid, so I guess he's saying why not me? Not that is the right or wrong thing, but Axeman really had something there.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    So ... again, what do the Avs do with him if he signs a 1 year deal (or even a 2 year deal) out of arbitration. Are they keeping him or trading him?
    I could see the Avs playing the waiting game after that. Are would playing good? Can we make the playoff and have an impact? etc. etc.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

The Great One

I'll take him in Toronto with open arms.

Nothing is wrong with him. He is trying to earn the biggest contract he can. Nobody said what is wrong with Toews and Kane for taking so much money.

At the end of the day this is a business and he understands that. Go for the money kid. Even if you don't deserve it you should be asking for it.

Dobber Sports Stud

just pay him his money he is a great all around player
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I'll take him in Toronto with open arms.

Nothing is wrong with him. He is trying to earn the biggest contract he can. Nobody said what is wrong with Toews and Kane for taking so much money.

At the end of the day this is a business and he understands that. Go for the money kid. Even if you don't deserve it you should be asking for it.
    Okay, so let's say he signs a 1 year deal and the Avs trade him to Toronto for some sort of decent return. Then after that one year deal he bolts to UFA. That's a pretty crappy deal for Toronto. Lots of risk with this kid.

The Great One

If he is a UFA at years end the return wouldn't likely be that great. And if a team is willing to risk trading for him they know about his character; or lack thereof.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I can see him taking the 2 year arbitrated deal, and Colorado trading him after one year for surprisingly little.

He'll play somewhere for a year, refuse to sign, and go UFA.

Then someone like Dale Tallon or Garth Snow is gonna give him a Toews/Kane type contract, and that will be that.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Padawan

If arbitration gives him more than $6M per year, I can see the Avs walking. Sakic is on record as saying there is a pay structure with the team and that the best players are being paid accordingly. Duchene is at a $6M cap hit, Varlamov is $5.9M, Landeskog is $5.571M. He won't accept anyone being paid more and that's one of the big reasons Stastny wasn't re-signed at the value St. Louis gave him. There is no way he should be making more than Duchene, Duchene is simply the better player. Debate the cap changes and inflation at length on this one, but that's what the Avs are doing.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    If arbitration gives him more than $6M per year, I can see the Avs walking. Sakic is on record as saying there is a pay structure with the team and that the best players are being paid accordingly. Duchene is at a $6M cap hit, Varlamov is $5.9M, Landeskog is $5.571M. He won't accept anyone being paid more and that's one of the big reasons Stastny wasn't re-signed at the value St. Louis gave him. There is no way he should be making more than Duchene, Duchene is simply the better player. Debate the cap changes and inflation at length on this one, but that's what the Avs are doing.
    I agree, but there is always the ability to break this. When Doughty was holding out Lombardi was on record saying nobody would make more than Kopitar, and then Doughty eventually signed for more than Kopitar. Different situation yes, but still.