Thread: Fantasy Sports Financial & Behavioral Impacts

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Fantasy Sports Financial & Behavioral Impacts

I browsed across this and thought it would be interesting to share. Not that it's a secret of any kind the amount of money and popularity that drives fantasy sports, but how much more popular it has become and will becomes as time evolves us. I find it interesting to read some of the statistics behind it all. It makes you wonder how much we spend on fantasy sports and how much time we invest in doing so, not to mention how much of that money and time may increase in the future.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/fan...y-and-growing/

Here are some snapshots from the article.

Fantasy sports have experienced a large increase in popularity over the last several years. With over 33 million players in the USA and an estimated 3.1 million in Canada, the popular pastime has turned into a billion dollar industry. Over the last five years fantasy sports have had an annual growth of 11.7%, with 47% of players paying league fees.

According to the FSTA (Fantasy Sports Trade Association – yes, this actually exists) 30% of all fantasy sports players use mobile devices to participate in fantasy sports. Of those, 69% use their mobile devices to check scores and 44% use them to change their team’s lineup, make trades and conduct transactions on the go.

Fantasy football is no doubt the most popular fantasy sport, with 69% of all fantasy sports players belonging to a fantasy football league. In 2012 the FSTA reported that approximately $1.67 billion was spent on fantasy football compared to $800 million in 2008, (currently the NFL’s Oakland Raiders are valued at $825 million) meaning that the fantasy football revenue shot up 48% in just four years.

The average fantasy sports player is an unmarried, Caucasian male in his 30’s whose earned a College degree or higher and spends roughly 18 hours consuming sports per week. According to the FSTA the average fantasy sports player spends almost 9 hours a week on managing their fantasy rosters and most have been at it for close to 10 years.

The FSTA also says that fantasy sport players spend $111 on average on league-related costs over a 12 month period. With an average of $52 per player, a total of $1.71 billion is spent on league fees alone. Add transaction, web hosting, and prize fees along with information materials and challenge games and the total value of the fantasy sports industry topples a little over $3.6 billion.

80% of all fantasy sports players are male. 40% are males aged 18 to 49, 38% are men aged 50 and over and 12% are males 17 and younger. Females make up a small percentage of fantasy sports players holding a 20% demographic, however as the popularity of fantasy sports grows, so does the number of women players, who so far make up 5.2 million of all fantasy sports players – not too shabby.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Fantasy Sports Financial & Behavioral Impacts

Good article.
    Nice share.
    In general, I think people find that they have a greater enjoyment of any event if they are even just a little bit invested in it.

One of my hockey teammates and I were talking last season how we both watched a late night Coyotes vs. Flames game.... two guys from Atlanta.
    Why - because we had fantasy guys involved.

Love it though... fantasy sports!
    It has replaced that void in my childhood that was card-collecting.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Ryker View Post

The average fantasy sports player is an unmarried, Caucasian male in his 30’s whose earned a College degree or higher and spends roughly 18 hours consuming sports per week. According to the FSTA the average fantasy sports player spends almost 9 hours a week on managing their fantasy rosters and most have been at it for close to 10 years.

The FSTA also says that fantasy sport players spend $111 on average on league-related costs over a 12 month period. With an average of $52 per player, a total of $1.71 billion is spent on league fees alone. Add transaction, web hosting, and prize fees along with information materials and challenge games and the total value of the fantasy sports industry topples a little over $3.6 billion.
    I am not average.

I am married (although the divorce papers will come shortly after I join another league of any sort)
    I am past my 30's, but only barely.
    I spend every waking hour thinking about / consuming fantasy sports; 18 hours a week just isn't enough.
    I spend well over the $111 given that I buy guides, join a couple different leagues and place bets here there and everywhere with my buddies. I travel to the annual draft and drink lots of beer with the boys. Easily over $200 a year, but don't tell my wife...

Neat article, Mr. Ryker

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

Btw I am not average either.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Ninja

A few interesting things.

- 20% is a little higher rate of women than I would have expected and that's encouraging. Lots of room for growth there.
    - $111 is such a low amount of money for such a high amount of entertainment. There are very few things I can think of (though I can think of at least one) that give you that amount of fun for that little money
    - I am surprised that only just over 3 million people in Canada play fantasy sports. I would have guessed a higher number.

- Yes that 20% seemed high to me as well. I was more in the line of thinking 90/10 rather than 80/20. Maybe our wives and girlfriends are starting to come over to our side of the table and join us!!

Dobber Sports Ace

I think in the 12 or so years I've been doing all fantasy sports I've probably spent about $20. Mostly for league startup costs (fantrax etc), will likely start buying the guides here, braging rights are worth $10 a year (or whatever it is).

If I played money leagues, it would consume me, it already occupies most my spare time. Don't know how you guys do it tbh.
    Are money leagues really THAT much more enjoyable?
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I think in the 12 or so years I've been doing all fantasy sports I've probably spent about $20. Mostly for league startup costs (fantrax etc), will likely start buying the guides here, braging rights are worth $10 a year (or whatever it is).

If I played money leagues, it would consume me, it already occupies most my spare time. Don't know how you guys do it tbh.
    I pretty much avoid money leagues now for the most part. Brought out the worst in me and I can still have quite a bit of fun without having money tied up in it all.

Being involved in money leagues or free leagues really does not matter which one people prefer. If the owner base is of quality and the commitment level is high it makes no difference as to which type of league to be a part of. People attach money to the thought that it must be or more likely to be a better foundation than a free league. Lots of people throw money at a lot of various things in life in general thinking the same method of result. Both types serve their purpose for the participant that wants one or the other. In short, there is something out there for everyone, be it money or be it free.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I am not average.

I am married (although the divorce papers will come shortly after I join another league of any sort)
    I am past my 30's, but only barely.
    I spend every waking hour thinking about / consuming fantasy sports; 18 hours a week just isn't enough.
    I spend well over the $111 given that I buy guides, join a couple different leagues and place bets here there and everywhere with my buddies. I travel to the annual draft and drink lots of beer with the boys. Easily over $200 a year, but don't tell my wife...

Neat article, Mr. Ryker

I am not average either. I can agree with everything you just said and basically say, ditto.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

LOL "yes, this actually exists"

I'm in the FSTA and have been for six years

fantasy sports draws fans and creates viewership. I guarantee you that viewership for your average game would be down by 50% if there was no such thing as fantasy sports.

Also while we're talking fantasy football - DobberFootball's guide is set for release July 21. Last year's got tons of accolades for the help it gave. Dave Cushard is a fantasy football pro - plays in Vegas with the bigwigs, former ESPN champ, and he's really good at explaining strategy. This is an underrated guide

So watch for that, I'll try to get time to put in the shop today
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    A few interesting things.

- 20% is a little higher rate of women than I would have expected and that's encouraging. Lots of room for growth there.
    - $111 is such a low amount of money for such a high amount of entertainment. There are very few things I can think of (though I can think of at least one) that give you that amount of fun for that little money
    - I am surprised that only just over 3 million people in Canada play fantasy sports. I would have guessed a higher number.
    That woman's stat is high because of all the women who pick football winners at the office. Remove that as a definition of "fantasy" and I'm guessing the number slides to 5%.

The Canadian number implies that one in five men play fantasy sports. That's low for sure, if you expand definition to include office playoff hockey pools.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Dobber,

This also probably means you're in the right field to make some money and do something that is going to continue to grow. And you enjoy it!

Also, what's the deal with the FSTA. I went to their website and it seems like they even have trade shows and everything. I imagine the market research reports is probably one of the most useful aspects of membership?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Also while we're talking fantasy football - DobberFootball's guide is set for release July 21. Last year's got tons of accolades for the help it gave. Dave Cushard is a fantasy football pro - plays in Vegas with the bigwigs, former ESPN champ, and he's really good at explaining strategy. This is an underrated guide
    If you create some Dobber tiered leagues... you could probably sell some guides, ya know.
    A group of 12 of us (+2 more to be added), have been doing a league on the forums, for... shit... 3 years now.
    Going into our 4th.

Make a few tiers (14-teams is a good league size, since 13 weeks of regular + 6 upper playoffs & 6 toilet bowl playoffs).
    You let me know if you need a spearhead to set-up the leagues.
    These days, I think "shared docs" are the way to go for setting up leagues with random people.
    Let me see if I can chase down the shared doc concept I started last year with pre-planned dates for hockey (we only got one league filled... but... concept was there).

People need something to be invested in to want to spend the $$$.