Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 5ish Documentaries

Dobber Sports Star

Default Top 5ish Documentaries

Some good movie threads here lately, so I thought I would start this one. I'm mostly into light, quirky, cultural documentaries vs the hard hitting controversial ones, so here are a few that I think everybody should watch:

Surfwise - Probably my favourite - An eccentric surfer pulls his family (11 of them) out of the american social system to travel, live out of a camper and surf.
    King of Kong - A guy going for the world record score on Donkey Kong. More than a video game documentary...
    The Bridge - They filmed the Golden Gate bridge for a year, documenting people who kill themselves by jumping off of it. Eerie.
    Happy People - People in the middle of nowhere, Russia, living a truly simple life.
    God grew tired of us - After a life of unimaginable hardships, a group of Sudanese men come to American and experience modern things for the first time (escalators, microwaves, potato chips, etc) - Serious in a way, but funny too.
    Wordplay - The world of people obsessed with crossword puzzles. (Similar ones exist about scrabble, spelling, etc)
    American Movie - Unexplainable really. This guy is just something else.
    Confessions of a Superhero - Chronicles the lives of people work as characters on the sidewalks of Hollywood Boulevard. A bit depressing.
    Spellbound - Following kids in the national spelling bee (There are also 2 about math competitions that I liked but can't remember the names of)
    7 up - A series of short docs (7 up, 14 up, etc) - They follow a group of British kids from wildly different economic/social backgrounds, checking in every 7 years to see how they are progressing.
    Alone in the Wilderness - As seen on PBS at 3:30 AM. Kind of like a real version on "Into the Wild". An inspiring man who filmed himself living alone in the woods, building what he needed with his own hands.

Any others?

I...am your father.

Default Re: Top 5ish Documentaries

Can you give like a one line description of each? Interesting thread

A must watch for everyone IMO is the Planet Earth series by BBC. I'm watching it with my kids right now, I put one on every week
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Can you give like a one line description of each? Interesting thread

A must watch for everyone IMO is the Planet Earth series by BBC. I'm watching it with my kids right now, I put one on every week
    Make sure you watch The Blue Planet and The Frozen Planet after. Same thing, same creators, but self-explanatory for what parts of the world they focus on.

Dobber Sports Veteran

To add:

Apollo 13
    March of the Penguins
    Food Inc
    Chasing Ice

And what I recommend above all: years of living dangerously (documentary series that aired this year on HBO, directed by James Cameron featuring a star-studded cast, and on climate change - namely how it is impacting humans).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Brooklyn Castle is excellent, even for people who are not interested in chess. I play chess competitively, so I enjoyed it even more!

King of Kong is also excellent (as alreayd mentioned) and is about guys trying to break world records in arcade games.

Going to have to add a few of those other ones onto my list forumname, as they look really interesting.

I have not had a chance to watch any of the new Cosmos series with Neil deGrasse Tyson, but it's on my list as well.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Can you give like a one line description of each?
    Done

Dobber Sports Stud

Murderball has always been a personal favourite of mine.

Food Inc is a must watch.

Depending on what you're into, "Enron: smartest guys in the room" was another I really enjoyed.

I don't watch very many documentaries but those 3 are all worthwhile.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Two that I really enjoyed were Project Nim and The Imposter. Project Nim is about a chimpanzee that was raised like a human child back in the 70s, and The Imposter tells the story of a Frenchman who poses as the 16 year old son of a Texas family that has been missing for years.

Dobber Sports Star

I heard The Summit is good. Its the Story about one of the worst tragedies on Everest.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Does Frontline count? One of my fav news sources. God In America was effin enlightening
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MarmotKing View Post
    I heard The Summit is good. Its the Story about one of the worst tragedies on Everest.
    Ooh I just watched this about a month ago and it's about K2, not Everest. If you enjoy mountainering stories, then you'll LOVE this.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Ooh I just watched this about a month ago and it's about K2, not Everest. If you enjoy mountainering stories, then you'll LOVE this.
    Oh yeah you're right! I have it on my to watch list on netflix.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Freedom's Fury - Tarantino/Liu directed, about the Hungarian water polo team vs Soviet Union set against the backdrop of the Hungarian Revolution and the Olympic games - fascinating.
    Big River Man - Account of his effort to swim all the major rivers in the world, concentrating on his journey down the Amazon.
    Romeo and Juliet in Sarajevo - Frontline documentary that mirrors the story of Romeo and Juliet during the siege of Sarajevo - awesome.
    Cropsey - about Staten Island murders by Andre Rand, examines how the media can run with a story
    If A Tree Falls - About the Earth Liberation Front and "ecoterrorism"
    ESPN 30 for 30 series is great. I love the 16th Man - Mandela/apartheid and the World Cup of Rugby

Bomm Bastic is right, Frontline produces fantastic stuff.
    12 Team Keeper, Cap 69.0mil, 12f,6d,2g 8Farm - use Cap Hit
    Scoring G/A/PPG/PPA/SHG/SHA/Hits/GWG/OTG/Shots/-PIM
    F-Giroux/N.Backstrom/Voracek/Getzlaf/Granlund/Soderberg/Toffoli/Hertl/Bennett/Shaw/Zibanejad/Etem
    D-Pietrangelo/Keith/Kronwall/HLindholm/Donovan/Hamilton/CMurphy
    Farm - Dumba/Maatta/Strome/Huberdeau/Teravainen/Kapanen/Honka/Koekkoek
    G-Price/Bernier

14 Team Keeper, Cap 64.3mil,Pts only, 9f,4d,2g
    F-Malkin/Benn/Backstrom/Voracek/Nichushkin/Teravainen/Kucherov/Stastny/Foligno/Coyle/Forsberg/
    D-Hedman/Reilly/Goligoski/B.Smith/Murphy/Ellis
    G-Rinne/Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The Summit was really good. Not into mountaineering in the slightest, but the moral implications of climbing peaks like Everest and K2 is interesting.

I'm a big history/war buff, so I'm usually drawn to those. Here are a few that have stood out for me:

* The Civil War: A Film by Ken Burns - in-depth look at the American Civil War. Includes geopolitical background of the conflict, a look at the major battles and the cultural, economic, social and political results.
    * Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State - Six, 47-minute episodes. Best doc I've ever watched regarding Auschwitz-Birkeneau and the Holocaust.
    * We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks - Not bad. A lot more to WikiLeaks than just Julian Assange, although you get a pretty good idea of his megalomania.

Haven't seen The Armstrong Lie yet, but that's probably next.

Dobber Sports Stud

When We Were Kings - documentary of the Ali/Foreman fight in Zaire and the lead up to it (Rumble in the Jungle). Epic!