Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: {re-signing} Dan Cleary

Dobber Sports Deity

Default {re-signing} Dan Cleary

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/201...ary-Oh-God-Why

Not everybody is aware of Dan Cleary's nickname, given to him when he was a monster contributor for the Wings, giving his all for the team. This was well before his all had all been exhausted, but over when the Chief was still churning out stuff at A2Y, we gave Danny Cleary the nickname Charlie Bucket. Here's why (from the A2Y Glossary):

Dan Cleary, the boy with the golden ticket. Wandering the streets of dreary whatevertownBucketsgrewupin, not wanting to go home because Grampa Joe wasn't getting out of bed and yet another dinner of disgusting thick tasteless soup awaited him. A sparkle in the gutter, a silver dollar. That money could feed his family for a week! Oh, the turmoil. Tasty Wonka chocolate and a chance at a trip every child in the world was hoping for, or food on the Bucket table. Screw it. Grabbed it. Bought the bar. Ripped it open. Golden Ticket. Hell yes.
    Now that he's re-signed, we're a bit less thrilled. It's like remaking the 1971 classic with Tim Burton taking a wonderfully made story and sucking the soul right out from behind its eyes, leaving you with a cold, vapid, and altogether terrifying husk.

In other words, the nickname is still fitting, but for a different reason.

Just in case you thought the offseason wasn't going to get worse, the Red Wings have re-signed Daniel Cleary to a space-wasting contract, as announced by the club.

UPDATE: The #RedWings have re-signed Daniel Cleary to a one-year deal.

— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) July 10, 2014
    We'll have details as they come.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: {re-signing} Dan Cleary

Dakkster must be overjoyed...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Holland needs to be fired.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Deity

I was surprised when they signed him again last year, let alone this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jim Nill was the brains in Detroit it appears, not Ken Holland.

Bizarre signing. Not as awful as the Quincey one, but plenty bad.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Guru

Haha! Why?!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Stud

Very bizarre. This gives them 12 forwards on 1-way contracts plus they still have to re-sign Tatar. This also doesn't include Jurco. It's weird to create this logjam while also saying you're gonna give Mantha a chance in training camp to play in the top-6.

I'd assume this means Alfredsson isn't coming back?

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's stuff like this that reaffirms that I don't think they ever had any intention of having Mantha play time in Detroit, but we'll see.

Dobber Sports Genius

Last years signing was bad enough, this guy is dead weight and should have walked with Bertuzzi and Samuelsson.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Banned

The end of the Detroit run.

Dobber Sports Ninja

One reason, incriminating photos.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Banned

They had a verbal agreement that he'd get another year after they convinced him to sign in Detroit rather than Philly

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nova Scotians just be hatin' on those uber-talented hockey kings of Newferland.
    I's the b'y that builds the boat
    And I's the b'y that sails her
    Three cheers for Danny Boy!
    Hip hip hooray!
    Hip hip hooray!

Dobber Sports Stud

My respect meter for Holland just keeps dropping
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Initiate

http://www.freep.com/article/2014071...eary-red-wings

When Daniel Cleary left six million dollars on the table last fall in Philadelphia to return to Detroit, there was an agreement made that it would be ameliorated by the Red Wings.

That led to the contract that was announced Thursday, when the Wings signed Cleary to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million with another $1 million in bonuses.

General manager Ken Holland said the decision, "has more to do with last year. My program has been one of loyalty, and there's good things and bad things that go with that. Way more good, in my opinion. I reached out to a lot of people before signing Dan, and he's very popular in our organization and with our on-ice leaders."

On the surface, it seems incongruent for a team that, with Tomas Tatar and Daniel Alfredsson still to be signed, already had a dozen forwards under NHL contracts. Cleary, 35, had eight points in 52 games last season, and had become a healthy scratch by late January.

"He had a tough year, but we're hoping he's going to bounce back," Holland said. "We've had luck with players with heart and determination."

Holland said that if Cleary doesn't have a big camp, "he won't be in the lineup."