Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strategy for "Daily" Leagues: 2014-2015 NHL Fantasy Season

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Lightbulb Strategy for "Daily" Leagues: 2014-2015 NHL Fantasy Season

rjfisher has recently released the 2014-2015 Same Night Tool.
    I love, love, love this tool for use in my one-year "daily set" leagues.
    This thread is for discussion, thoughts, analysis & tips on maximizing "games played" in your roster spots and avoiding "conflicts" (i.e. Benching Players because you have 3 goalies playing one night, but only 2G slots!)

Here we go:

Chapter 1: Understanding the NHL Hockey Week
    The NHL is traditionally a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday heavy-night schedule. These are the nights MOST teams will play.
    Here is the total number of "team games" played on each day of the week:

204: Monday
    492: Tuesday
    202: Wednesday
    446: Thursday
    250: Friday
    620: Saturday
    246: Sunday

In any "daily" set league, you want to maximize stats by getting as many starts as you can.
    This also means, maximize stats by not "wasting" any stats in "forced benchings"... i.e. Too many players playing on the Same Night.
    To avoid this, try to get some teams that do NOT play on the common nights - by default, that means they will play on off-nights.

Chapter 2: Saturday Night & Avoiding Saturday Night Teams
    Let's start with the most popular night of the week: Saturday.
    Why Saturday?
    Because that is the most common night of games, with 620 games.
    By the math, in a 26-week NHL season, this means that 24 teams are playing each Saturday night.
    Your goal, find those 6 teams that are sometimes not playing on Saturday night, because you won't be wasting their Saturday night start on your bench.

Teams least likely to play on Saturday Night:
    1. Anaheim: Only 9 Saturday Night Games. It continues, Anaheim has the least Saturday games in the NHL, making Getzlaf, Perry and the goalie-tandem nice owns to avoid conflicts!
    2. Edmonton: Only 13 Saturday Night Games. Oooh, now isn't this a tasty morsel. Not only are we all waiting for the Oiler kids to go BOOM... but now they have a nice "daily" league schedule!
    3. Chicago: Only 14 Saturday Night Games. Similar to ANA, Chicago is notorious for having a good off-night schedule. More power to Toews, Kane, Sharp, Keith, and Crawford owners.
    4. Winnipeg: Only 16 Saturday Night Games.
    5t. Calgary/Vancouver: Each has 17 Saturday Night Games.
    All other teams have 19 or more SAT games.

Zona/SJ/NYI won't do you any favours.
    They have 25 Saturday night games... so avoid "depth" players on these teams, because their starts will be wasting away on your Saturday night bench.

Chapter 3: Monday Night Hockey - Getting Your Goalie Stats in Early (H2H)
    Moving on to the least common night: Monday!
    In H2H leagues, Monday is an interesting day... a valuable day IMO.
    One of my own favourite strategies is to:
    i) Roster a high quantity of late-drafted garbage goalies.
    ii) Get their starts in EARLY in the week... find out what you are dealing with. Got two good starts... slow-play your goalies to win GAA/SV%. Got two bad starts... roster every goalie you own to at least salvage SV, maybe W.

Here's the highest Monday Night Teams:
    1t. Edmonton - 10 Monday Night Games. I list them first because their goalies are questionable, at best - which plays right into the strategy above.
    1t. Tampa Bay - 10 Monday Night Games. If the Bolts play Saturday... but not Sunday... then Monday is going to be the most common start for Evgeni Nabokov during the year.
    1t. NY Rangers - 10 Monday Night Games. If the Rags play Saturday... but not Sunday... then Monday is going to be the most common start for Cam Talbot during the year.
    1t. Los Angeles - 10 Monday Night Games. If the Kings play Saturday... but not Sunday... then Monday is going to be the most common start night for Martin Jones during the year.
    These are a few back-ups, I'd be looking into late-drafting in my H2H leagues.
    Check the schedules of these teams. If you see SAT-MON games.... then know that you might sneak an early Mon H2H start from the back-up.

Chapter 4: Sunday Hockey - Start 'em or Sit 'em Decision Makers (H2H)
    This is another key night that mostly affects goalie value in One-Year Daily Set H2H leagues.
    You want to own the last goalie start of the week.
    Winning GAA & SV%, just bench 'em!
    Losing GAA & SV%, start 'em!

Here are the best teams for Sunday Games:
    1t. Anaheim - 16 Sunday Games. Andersen? Gibson? Hmm... we don't know. We do know that whoever starts Sunday will have nice value. If you have a "turn" pick in one-year leagues, I'd look to draft both goalies within 6 picks.
    1t. Chicago - 16 Sunday Games. Sunday is typically the most common rest day for starters. This bodes well for late-drafting Antti Raanta, who should get most of his starts on Sunday while Craw rests.
    3t. Winnipeg - 13 Sunday Games. Michael Hutchinson anybody? Who? Yup. He'll sit on waivers all season in most leagues, but he'll also have some value as a Sunday Night start.
    3t. NY Rangers - 13 Sunday Games. Cam Talbot, again. If NYR has a Saturday night game... bank on seeing Talbot on Sunday or Monday. Either way, he'll be a good waiver streaming pick up on Saturday.
    5. Detroit - 12 Sunday Games. Detroit is one of my favourite teams and Babcock is textbook coach. This means you'll see Howie sit a lot on Sunday with Jonas Gustavsson getting the start.
    6t. Vancouver/Washington/Florida - 11 Sunday Games. Possible starts for Lack, Peters, and Al Montoya. These teams will be starved for wins though, so I'd imagine we'll only see the back-ups if there was a Saturday nighter.

Chapter 5: Back-to-Back Starts

MOST B2B:
    1t. Buffalo - 19 B2B. If you own either of these goalies in a one-year league, you must be tanking for the 1st overall pick in next year's... oh wait... good grief... you must be die-hard Sabres fan.
    1t. Columbus - 19 B2B. If there is a goalie/team in the NHL that will ride their #1 goalie into the ground, I'd go with CBJ. The East will be tight for the #8... and Bob is going to be one guy to play B2Bs.
    3t. Toronto - 18 B2B. To be honest, until the Reimer thing is cleared up, I don't know how this will affect them. If Reimer stays, he'll get one night of the two.
    3t. New Jersey - 18 B2B. If Bobrovsky was one goalie that will be rode hard this year, Schneider is the other. Bob & Schneider are the two goalies that could touch 70 starts this year... so B2Bs, not an issue.
    5t. Pittsburgh - 17 B2B. A chance for Greiss to play some games. If it is a home-road split, look for Jeff Zatkoff in the road game. If they are both home or both road, look for Thomas Greiss in the 2nd game.

LEAST B2B:
    1t. Los Angeles - Only 9 B2B. This bodes well for owning Jon Quick, though... I think LA realizes they want him reasonably fresh for playoffs... so I'd still imagine that M.Jones will get 20 of 82 games.
    1t. Winnipeg - Only 9 B2B. Unfortunately, another meh discovery. Pavelec stinks, Hutchinson is raw... I don't think this helps either, but Pavelec has the edge if he can put it together.

Chapter 6: Wednesday & Friday - Any Surprises?
    The quick & dirty best teams for Wednesday: Anaheim (16), Toronto (13), Edmonton (12), Calgary (11), Pittsburgh (11), Washington (10), Boston (10), Detroit (10)
    The quick & dirty best teams for Friday: Anaheim (18), New Jersey (17), Columbus (15), Chicago (14) Calgary (12), Edmonton (12), Buffalo (12), NYI (11), Pittsburgh (10)

Chapter 7: What's the best team - the short version PLEASE!
    Ha, OK.
    1. Anaheim Ducks. Lots of Wednesday, Friday, Sunday games. This will avoid conflicts. If Getzlaf or Perry as one of your options at your draft spot... give them a boost in daily leagues.
    2. Chicago Blackhawks. They have most games on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. End of week games are GREAT for H2H.
    3. Edmonton Oilers. They have a very distributed schedule, with a nice Monday night count, good for late-drafting one/both of their goalies and getting a quick start in H2H.
    4. Calgary Flames. Another nicely distributed schedule with some Monday, Wednesday, Friday games to limit benching players.
    5t. Detroit/NYR. These are two back-up goalies to watch: Gustavsson & Talbot... because these teams have good Sunday/Monday starts.

Advice:
    *If you can get Anaheim or Chicago skaters... I'd do it. You'll use them on off-nights, and they won't play on common nights (T/Th/Sat). This allows you open spots to use your bench players.
    *If you can draft EDM/CGY/DET back-up/NYR back-up... consider these guys as your 3rd/4th goalies in a 2G league. These goalies will avoid conflicts.

If anybody has any other notes, tips, thoughts - feel free to share for the common benefit of mastering your one-year league schedule!
    Happy Pooling!!!
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Strategy for "Daily" Leagues: 2014-2015 NHL Fantasy Season

Thanks Pengwin! Your strategies made me the guy to beat in our league.
    12 teams, Yahoo H2H, daily, keep 5.

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN, IR+
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Pettersson
    LW: M.Tkachuk (+RW), Zucker (+RW), Coleman (+RW), N.Foligno (+C)
    RW: Kucherov, Svechnikov (+LW), W.Nylander (+C), Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Hughes,Doughty, Ekblad, Hronek, McNabb, Cernak
    G: Lehner, Grubauer, Francouz
    IR+:

Dobber Sports Ninja

This is an excellent post. What exactly qualifies a league as a daily league? Can it be either Roto, or H2H, but just making sure that rosters can be edited any time during the day before puck drop?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    This is an excellent post. What exactly qualifies a league as a daily league? Can it be either Roto, or H2H, but just making sure that rosters can be edited any time during the day before puck drop?
    Just means that you can change your starting roster "daily".
    Some leagues are "weekly" sets, where you pick your starters for the whole week.

Dobber Sports Wizard

good stuff here as usual

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    it just means you have daily, as opposed to weekly starts. meaning that every day i can issue a new lineup which allows you to maximize your total man-games played.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Just means that you can change your starting roster "daily".
    Some leagues are "weekly" sets, where you pick your starters for the whole week.
    Alright. I figured as much, but sometimes people use terms and then mean something else. Thanks for clarifying. I have some thoughts on this but want to have time to put them together,

Dobber Sports Giant

Amazing stuff here from P7. Just GOLD.

One small correction: Thomas Greiss is going to be the guy getting starts in PIT.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quality info here, thanks!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Amazing stuff here from P7. Just GOLD.

One small correction: Thomas Greiss is going to be the guy getting starts in PIT.
    That was exactally my thoughts, just gold.
    Daily starts, if you get back-up starts early in week, can set up your whole week depending on how they do.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Awesome bits of info, this is a huge help! Thanks so much!

Dobber Sports Star

Really nice analysis Pengwin7!
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This is a great tool for H2H leagues. Another strategy I like to use is stocking up on players that have multi-positional eligibility - I've found that guys like Carter, Sharp, Byfuglien, Williams, etc. are significantly more valuable than their ranking if you can maximize their impact on those 'off nights' (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays).
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Greiss, Greiss, baby!
    (Thanks, change made.)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Can you elaborate on the LordoftheRinks? How does the multi-positional eligibility in particular make them more available on off nights?