Thread: Strome vs. R. Murray

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Strome vs. R. Murray

Ok guys...

I know this is very hard to compare a forward and a d-man...but let's say we have to do it.

Who will be the best player between Ryan Strome and Ryan Murray?
    Keeper league - 26 teams (90% salary cap league)

Kaprizov - Kuznetsov - Huberdeau
    Zacha - Stephenson - Bratt
    Zucker - Frost - Eberle
    Johnston - Blueger - Yamamoto

Hughes - Spurgeon
    Lindell - Orlov
    Barrie - Grzelyck

Sorokin
    Talbot

The Wolverine

Default Re: Strome vs. R. Murray

I don't have the answer but to help others it would be useful to provide context/specifics to your question. It's quite vague.

Dobber Sports Ace

What categories are we talking about? Points only? Hits, SOG, +/-......etc?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Points only and defensive stats like TK, GV, +/-.

But really, I know Strome will get more points. But in term of position, who has the best value?
    Keeper league - 26 teams (90% salary cap league)

Kaprizov - Kuznetsov - Huberdeau
    Zacha - Stephenson - Bratt
    Zucker - Frost - Eberle
    Johnston - Blueger - Yamamoto

Hughes - Spurgeon
    Lindell - Orlov
    Barrie - Grzelyck

Sorokin
    Talbot

Dobber Sports Master

Murray was never a strong point producer in junior, even for a defenceman. Strome got 49 in 37 as a 20 year old in the AHL last year. I'd personally go with Strome for a poolie.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Murray was never a strong point producer in junior, even for a defenceman. Strome got 49 in 37 as a 20 year old in the AHL last year. I'd personally go with Strome for a poolie.
    I have to agree with TK on this one. Besides, NYI should be a higher scoring team than CLB, which provides Strome with more opportunity for points. That being said, the Grabovski and Kulemin signings clutter up the offensive spots for NYI, meaning we may need to wait a year or 2 for Strome to shine.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Strome is a beast, and defensemen can go all sorts of directions with their development. I generally like to take the forward in this case.

Dobber Sports Stud

If given a choice betweeen a forward and a dman I will take the forward on most nights. In Stromes case his focus is on producing points. If he gets back on the check its going to score him points with the coach but Strome is out there to put up points especially goals which have a premium. Whereas Murray is probably equally weighed both to produce offense and to prevent it by the other team. Yes he should put up some very nice assist numbers but I think those are "easier" to replace than goals are.

On the flip side with the signing of the two Russians on the Island I think Strome's ice time will take a hit while Murray's is almost certain to increase. So perhaps the two are more likely to put up similar numbers.

However in the long run I like Strome's upside and would take him over Murray in roto/fantasy. In sim hockey however ... I kinda like Murray
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd take Strome quite easily. Young dmen are so hard to project, and forwards will get more points most times anyways, especially forwards in the top 6 and guys like Strome's caliber. Dmen points/assists, are "easier" to replace, as an above poster mentioned. You may have to wait a year for Strome to breakout, but I feel it will be worth the wait, while Murray isn't guaranteed anything this year, either.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov