Thread: S.Weber for Toffoli and Nyqvist - a no-brainer?

Dobber Sports Master

Default S.Weber for Toffoli and Nyqvist - a no-brainer?

Hi everyone,

Team and league in sig. The guy who has Weber wants Toffoli and Nyqvsit. Small league. The Weber team is routinely in last so they are not a serious threat. My team is a perennial contender. He approached me as Chara and Timonen are VERY long in the tooth and while Ehrhoff going to PIT might be a good boost, eventually I will have to replace the aforementioned two.

It's a pts only league with no positional requirements among forwards. What say you all, no-brainer given my current forward depth? I won the league last year with minimal to no contribution from Nyqvist and Toffoli, but obviously guys like Elias can't play forever and I will have to eventually replace guys like Ribeiro, Semin.. Spezza etc. I really like the potential of Toffoli and Nyqvist and in a few years, maybe as early as next, they might eclipse Weber's value in this league, but this move really solidifies an aging bottom-3 of my D. With Karlsson and Subban already in the fold, I'd basically have the top-3 scoring D in the NHL in a full-keeper.

So, no-brainer yes for me or is it a lot closer? Thanks for any and all help!
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: S.Weber for Toffoli and Nyqvist - a no-brainer?

i'd make the trade. Weber is an easy 50 pts and NEal will help him.. If Wilson can find another gear to his play it will help again.

Nyquist and Toffoli are good but you still have an amazing team and having top 3 d-men in the game will help you still be the champ

there is more difference in term of talent and production between weber and your 6th defenseman than there is between Nyquist/Toffoli and you're 11/12th forward.

do it
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Stud

In a 8 team league, your all-star defense (after acquiring Weber) should help put you over the top. You could probably move Chara afterwards for some good depth players up front. I'd pull the trigger on this trade.

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks so far guys. Would you prefer if I flipped a single asset and traded say, Pavelski instead? He has to figure into some kind of decline and this way I don't mortgage the future for when Elias retires and guys like Vanek and Semin start to suck (my guess, soon).
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yes- solid deal to make and the right mindset in the reasoning behind the deal. I would hold onto Pavelski as he's a stud, he won't repeat 40+ goals I don't think but he's a beast anyway. Toffoli and Nyquist are nice assets as you have indicated but you are acquiring Weber here, typically he would be more expensive than what you are having to give up to acquire him. This is a nice deal to make for your team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If we had even one more season of data on Nyquist to see where he might end up, then I'd suggest the Pavelski angle, but there is still too much uncertainty there with him.

I really like the Toffoli/Nyquist trade for you. Locks down your defense for a long long time.

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. On the surface it appeared worth it. I am letting go of a lot, but to me it seems easier to replace scoring forwards than it is to replace D. This league is a pts only, so D like Weber aren't as valuable as they might be in leagues that count more stats, but a talent like his remains rare and sO I feel the deal is worth it. It locks down my D for pretty well the next 5 years at least, so in that sense it frees me to draft the best available talents and trade them for other needs. Thanks again and let's see if this guy's interest was for real and I get to pull this off.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Update. As expected, the Weber owner got cold feet and pulled back. I tried the Pavelski angle. We'll see. He has a habit of putting things on the table only to pull back tho. Anywho thanks again for the help.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Update. As expected, the Weber owner got cold feet and pulled back. I tried the Pavelski angle. We'll see. He has a habit of putting things on the table only to pull back tho. Anywho thanks again for the help.
    Seems like the Weber owner smartened up, either on his own or by reading this post. But by keeping Nyqvist and Toffoli it is not like you are hurting your team

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mojavedesert View Post
    Seems like the Weber owner smartened up, either on his own or by reading this post. But by keeping Nyqvist and Toffoli it is not like you are hurting your team
    Lol I guarantee he did not read this thread lol. Indeed I don't really lose either way, but I think it's more a product of his cold feet. He would want Stamkos back for Weber if he could, but in an 8 team league, pts only full keeper, Weber just isn't as valuable. Sure, he's awesome, but he's no top 5 forward in return. I wonder how the Pavelski angle will work.. but this is a guy who would rather hold onto his one or two stars and finish routinely last than trade or or two and start a sorely needed rebuild.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin