Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Weiss

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Stephen Weiss

Figured I'd look and see what this dud was up to. Sounds like he's back skating and hoping to be ready for the new season.
    I am not counting on a lot, but he was pretty dependable before the injuries. Hopefully he can get into decent shape and find his way back to what they were hoping for when they signed him.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/sport...second-surgery
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Stephen Weiss

I really worry about older players that miss a full year.
    That's a lot of time to get out of shape. And I'm not just talking "fat"... I mean general stamina.
    We'll see... I've soured on Weiss, TBH.

Dobber Sports Star

He was dependable like you said, but a full year away from the game at his age won't do him any good. It will take a lot of games to get his rythm back, if he even does.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Master

There's no way he can be as awful as he was last year, but he has a lot of work to do to supplant guys like Nyqvist on the depth chart.. IMO he settles into a supporting depth role and produces (at best) like Bertuzzi did.. and worst, well, like last year.. Though I don't see that.. If he gets pts, consider that a win. I had lofty expectations of a return to 60 in a Wings uni, playing with the talent there, but in his absence younger players like Nyqvist, Jurco and Tatar really stepped up. 3rd or 4th line it might just be for Weiss. 3rd line probably, as he re-molds his game to play more defensively. He has always been a decent two-way player, but time for him to focus on that part of the game almost entirely. Top two scoring Cs will be Datsyuk and Nyqvist. I plan on dropping him this offseason.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    There's no way he can be as awful as he was last year, but he has a lot of work to do to supplant guys like Nyqvist on the depth chart.. IMO he settles into a supporting depth role and produces (at best) like Bertuzzi did.. and worst, well, like last year.. Though I don't see that.. If he gets pts, consider that a win. I had lofty expectations of a return to 60 in a Wings uni, playing with the talent there, but in his absence younger players like Nyqvist, Jurco and Tatar really stepped up. 3rd or 4th line it might just be for Weiss. 3rd line probably, as he re-molds his game to play more defensively. He has always been a decent two-way player, but time for him to focus on that part of the game almost entirely. Top two scoring Cs will be Datsyuk and Nyqvist. I plan on dropping him this offseason.
    I agree, but I'm not sure I'll have the luxury of dropping him.
    I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for anything over 40 for him. Best case scenario, he's healthy to start and streaks early. Then I might be able to move him.

That contract is one major thing he's got going for him -- he'll get opportunities in the top six, because they're paying him top six salary.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Pro

Going to be in tough, but should get 40 IF he can stay healthy.
    Depends on how healthy the rest of the teams is as well, and whether Alfie comes back.
    Should fill where Legwand played.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Wow.

How about you don't say anything about the Wings, since you obviously know pretty much nothing about them? Nyquist isn't a center. He's a winger, mostly RW. He hasn't played center in professional hockey. You're like the people a few years ago who called Hudler a center just because he was listed as such. Erroneously, obviously. What other excellent analyses do you draw from only watching position eligibility on Yahoo?

Tatar, Jurco and Nyquist aren't competing for the same roster spots as Weiss. They're all wingers. Sheahan, yes, but he's not as good as Weiss yet when Weiss isn't a hobbling freak, which he was last season.

IF Weiss is injury-free, you'll see him and Datsyuk as the two top six centers with Zetterberg playing mainly on the wing. Franzen, Nyquist and someone else will round out the top six. Probably a 50/50 between Tatar and Alfredsson, assuming he re-signs. In the bottom six you'll see Miller, Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan, the other 50/50 of Tatar and Alfie and Glendening. Jurco doesn't have to clear waivers, so it seems like he might be Nyquisted for the start of this season, meaning sent down to Grand Rapids even though he's good enough for the NHL. Andersson is filler and then Mitch Callahan and Landon Ferraro are out of waiver options. My guess is Ferraro sticks as filler and Callahan is sent down. No one should be interested in him.

So, to recap. The centers in Detroit are Datsyuk, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Glendening and Zetterberg if needed. Sheahan, Helm and Glendening are better defensive centers than Weiss and Weiss is a better offensive center than them. Do the math.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Wow.

How about you don't say anything about the Wings, since you obviously know pretty much nothing about them? Nyquist isn't a center. He's a winger, mostly RW. He hasn't played center in professional hockey. You're like the people a few years ago who called Hudler a center just because he was listed as such. Erroneously, obviously. What other excellent analyses do you draw from only watching position eligibility on Yahoo?

Tatar, Jurco and Nyquist aren't competing for the same roster spots as Weiss. They're all wingers. Sheahan, yes, but he's not as Weiss yet when Weiss isn't a hobbling freak, which he was last season.

IF Weiss is injury-free, you'll see him and Datsyuk as the two top six centers with Zetterberg playing mainly on the wing. Franzen, Nyquist and someone else will round out the top six. Probably a 50/50 between Tatar and Alfredsson, assuming he re-signs. In the bottom six you'll see Miller, Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan, the other 50/50 of Tatar and Alfie and Glendening. Jurco doesn't have to clear waivers, so it seems like he might be Nyquisted for the start of this season, meaning sent down to Grand Rapids even though he's good enough for the NHL. Andersson is filler and then Mitch Callahan and Landon Ferraro are out of waiver options. My guess is Ferraro sticks as filler and Callahan is sent down. No one should be interested in him.

So, to recap. The centers in Detroit are Datsyuk, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Glendening and Zetterberg if needed. Sheahan, Helm and Glendening are better defensive centers than Weiss and Weiss is a better offensive center than them. Do the math.
    Nice break down Dakkster, I did not know some of those. I think where part of the confusion comes from is that the Wings love having versatile players so their roster is often peppered with guys who can play different positions. Zetterberg is the best example they'll switch his position up even in the same game and he just seamlessly does it and excels at it, it's cool to watch.

With regard to Weiss though, he really has been terrible the last 2 years and he's missed 70-80% of his starts. What makes you think he'll be back to health this season?
    12 Team Yahoo H2H
    G A PIM +/- PPP SHP HITS GWG
    W GAA S% SO
    C: Tavares,Giroux,Kopitar,Stepan
    LW: Benn, Kunitz, Lupul, Elias
    RW: Eberle, Wheeler, Hornqvist
    D: Giordano, Yandle, Barrie, Carlson, Zidlicky
    G: Niemi, Bishop

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

He was never healthy last year. He came to camp with a groin problem and didn't say anything about it, because he didn't want to miss out on the beginning of the season. Then he sucked ass and had to sit. Then he reinjured it first game back. It was a mess. He's good so far. Back to skating with full power and training with Gary Roberts. Unless he gets injured again before camp, he'll have good conditions for success.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

He was never healthy last year. He came to camp with a groin problem and didn't say anything about it, because he didn't want to miss out on the beginning of the season. Then he sucked ass and had to sit. Then he reinjured it first game back. It was a mess. He's good so far. Back to skating with full power and training with Gary Roberts. Unless he gets injured again before camp, he'll have good conditions for success.
    I'm totally on board with this. I am full on sleeper picking Weiss' ass in as many pools as I can...later of course, but I honestly think he will rebound to 50+ points this year.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Wow.

Tatar, Jurco and Nyquist aren't competing for the same roster spots as Weiss. They're all wingers. Sheahan, yes, but he's not as good as Weiss yet when Weiss isn't a hobbling freak, which he was last season.

Easy dakkster. I watched more than a few wings games last year and I could swear Nyqvist lined up at C. My mistake but I do recall him playing there. In any event, you obviously know the wings better than I, but my point was more made to illustrate how the younger crowd in Detroit surpassed many of the vets. Obviously with his contract, Weiss will be given every chance, but he has a host of issues to bounce back from (yet again) and with age it doesn't get any easier. Weiss has talent, but I just don't see 60 pts anymore. I bet he is either bought out by the end of next year (not really the Wings style though..) or he molds himself to more of a defensive role. I do not expect a lot from him is all. Thanks for the correction on the position, but I could swear I watched him play some C. Anyway, I stand corrected as you have the better eye.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

I think the honest truth is that the Wings "vets" are a bunch of band-aid boys. I don't think it's worth arguing who will line up with who with this team, because the lineup is going to be in flux all season as guys come in and out due to injury. Think about it, how many man games has this group of vets missed over the last 3 seasons?

Datsuyk
    Zetterberg
    Franzen
    Alfie
    Weiss
    Helm

Just be happy to own any of the Wing's youth that Dakkster pointed out, because they are all going to get a fair shot at NHL games this season.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

The Magnificent One

some great thoughts here. I was really hoping he would be the 2nd line center and either get one of Nyqvist or even zett on his wing.

My league counts FW's so I am hoping for 50+ points and a nice amount of FW ofcourse his health counts but either linesmates he gets it should set him up for success as mentioned.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sure wish you would keep your trap shut, Comish. How the hell am I suppose to sneak up on guys in the draft, who are all Dobberites, if you keep flapping your lips like this? Weiss is a bum, he lies about his health and stands very little chance of paying the Wings generosity on his contract back. Got it? That's the party line until after the draft.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Sure wish you would keep your trap shut, Comish. How the hell am I suppose to sneak up on guys in the draft, who are all Dobberites, if you keep flapping your lips like this? Weiss is a bum, he lies about his health and stands very little chance of paying the Wings generosity on his contract back. Got it? That's the party line until after the draft.
    Doesn't replying bring the thread to the top for more people to read this if they hadn't? Ha!