Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Karlsson

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Karlsson

I like him as a captain. Changing of the guard in Ottawa. Lots of young guys coming in and Karlsson will be the veteran out of the batch of prospects coming through. But I guess also depends how he is as a teammate. But you can always let your game do the talking too.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    perhaps you should learn to read, if my post was a direct response to your posting i would have quoted you

my post was a general post directed at those who are intimating or saying that he is too young to handle the pressure of being made captain

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As a Karlsson owner in a 16 team,(20 roster, 10 farm) all cats league where he was in the last year of his contract and was eating up 15% off my cap space of $40 for 20 players I was asking myself the same thing. My initial knee-jerk was to agree with several other posters and say he's a stud and will be fine, (which I mostly believe to be true), but I dug into stats over the past 4 years and found some troubling trends. In games with Spezza sharing the ice he produced at a 73pt pace over 82 games, (20+ goals), over a period of more than 50 games when the slick swede played without Spezza he was at a 43pt pace, (8 goals), over an 82 game pace. I don't think he'll score only 40-45pts this year but a drop off wouldn't surprise me, maybe in the 55-60 range. As a result I dealt him in my all cats league,(that weighs pretty heavy on pim's), for Van Riemsdyk, Myers, and Tom Wilson who all combined will only will eat up 10% of my cap saving me some valuable money and as a bonus they all have term of min 2 yrs left on their deals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ICEJESTER View Post
    As a Karlsson owner in a 16 team,(20 roster, 10 farm) all cats league where he was in the last year of his contract and was eating up 15% off my cap space of $40 for 20 players I was asking myself the same thing. My initial knee-jerk was to agree with several other posters and say he's a stud and will be fine, (which I mostly believe to be true), but I dug into stats over the past 4 years and found some troubling trends. In games with Spezza sharing the ice he produced at a 73pt pace over 82 games, (20+ goals), over a period of more than 50 games when the slick swede played without Spezza he was at a 43pt pace, (8 goals), over an 82 game pace. I don't think he'll score only 40-45pts this year but a drop off wouldn't surprise me, maybe in the 55-60 range. As a result I dealt him in my all cats league,(that weighs pretty heavy on pim's), for Van Riemsdyk, Myers, and Tom Wilson who all combined will only will eat up 10% of my cap saving me some valuable money and as a bonus they all have term of min 2 yrs left on their deals.
    Why does the league weigh heavily on PIM?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Why does the league weigh heavily on PIM?
    It just does, out of our 7 forward/def scoring cats 2 of them are pim related so with the fall off of true goons in the NHL it's getting harder to find options that can produce in multi areas, when you do they're like gold. Our design built keeper pool has been around for close to 30yrs and we haven't changed the format in order to stay to our beginnings. I remember having Teemu as an under the radar reserve player hoping he'd come to N/A and be able to play top 6.

Dobber Sports Titan

The amount of threads saying Karlsson is due to a “human” yr is prolly in the hundreds. He keeps proving us wrong. I’ll throw +/- out the window if I can get a player that puts up 70pts as a d-man. In a league that scores G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, I’ll throw one category away to excel in the other 4. For H2H it’s about beating the other guy by at least 1, you don’t need to thrive in everything.

Until I see Karlsson have a “human” yr, I’ll see him as an elite d-man that will be worth top 20 pick in a draft.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The amount of threads saying Karlsson is due to a “human” yr is prolly in the hundreds. He keeps proving us wrong. I’ll throw +/- out the window if I can get a player that puts up 70pts as a d-man. In a league that scores G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, I’ll throw one category away to excel in the other 4. For H2H it’s about beating the other guy by at least 1, you don’t need to thrive in everything.

Until I see Karlsson have a “human” yr, I’ll see him as an elite d-man that will be worth top 20 pick in a draft.
    No kidding. I learned my lesson last year predicting a let down and he shut me up real good. The guy just does nothing but get points. Fantasy gold. It's a little unfortunate he plays in Ottawa since he doesn't the exposure he probably would on a great deal many other teams. Probably the least "out there" of the Canadian teams.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    No kidding. I learned my lesson last year predicting a let down and he shut me up real good. The guy just does nothing but get points. Fantasy gold. It's a little unfortunate he plays in Ottawa since he doesn't the exposure he probably would on a great deal many other teams. Probably the least "out there" of the Canadian teams.
    That's a good thing.

Dobber Sports Icon

let's also all bear in mind that Karlsson is not yet 100% after the achilles tendon slice. He said himself he doesn't quite have the mobility he had before the injury, but over the summer he's feeling closer to 100%.

20 goals and 74 pts (31 on the PP), with 257 SOG, on an under-performing team with a new D partner and playing at 80% of pre-injury form. unreal.

During his entire NHL career he is averaging almost 62 pts per 82 game season, that's from his first game as a Sen. Insane.

In most fantasy leagues Karlsson is virtually untraceable, as most other GMs won't put up the kinds of assets he would command. There is pretty much no skater I would trade Karlsson for straight up, given his age and other attributes. Not even Crosby, given his injury concerns. Malkin, Stamkos and Tavares would be enticing but I don't believe I would trade for them either.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Ottawa is a big mess right now so I can't see how his numbers won't take a hit, +/- in particular but he's still an elite defenseman so I can't see him not getting 60+ pts if he's healthy.
    Huh?? Why is Ottawa a mess?? Why is Karlsson's +/- going to be worse because Spezza and Hemsky are gone?? In all actuality, the team is going to be improved defensively.. I truly believe the team comes together and becomes more of a group that fights for each other..

All the Karlsson owners, don't worry, he will be fine, he is a stud on the backend(points wise)..

All the Karlsson non owners, keep wishing you had Karlsson on your rosters, and no more hating..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Huh?? Why is Ottawa a mess?? Why is Karlsson's +/- going to be worse because Spezza and Hemsky are gone?? In all actuality, the team is going to be improved defensively.. I truly believe the team comes together and becomes more of a group that fights for each other..

All the Karlsson owners, don't worry, he will be fine, he is a stud on the backend(points wise)..

All the Karlsson non owners, keep wishing you had Karlsson on your rosters, and no more hating..
    To NOT own Karlsson is to Hate him and te GM's that own him. The Croaby of the blue line...a full cut and a half above the next! Can't wait to see him dazzle once again this year!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    let's also all bear in mind that Karlsson is not yet 100% after the achilles tendon slice. He said himself he doesn't quite have the mobility he had before the injury, but over the summer he's feeling closer to 100%.

20 goals and 74 pts (31 on the PP), with 257 SOG, on an under-performing team with a new D partner and playing at 80% of pre-injury form. unreal.

During his entire NHL career he is averaging almost 62 pts per 82 game season, that's from his first game as a Sen. Insane.

In most fantasy leagues Karlsson is virtually untraceable, as most other GMs won't put up the kinds of assets he would command. There is pretty much no skater I would trade Karlsson for straight up, given his age and other attributes. Not even Crosby, given his injury concerns. Malkin, Stamkos and Tavares would be enticing but I don't believe I would trade for them either.
    His injury concern is exactly why I thought he would struggle more last season (combined with a couple other factors) and he totally plowed right through that. Since he plays defense there is certainly the argument to be made that he should be the #1 draft pick in leagues that have positions as a factor. This was the Mike Green discussion from a few years ago, except Karlsson isn't near as likely to fall off a cliff like Green (though very few expected that with Green either to be fair)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    His injury concern is exactly why I thought he would struggle more last season (combined with a couple other factors) and he totally plowed right through that. Since he plays defense there is certainly the argument to be made that he should be the #1 draft pick in leagues that have positions as a factor. This was the Mike Green discussion from a few years ago, except Karlsson isn't near as likely to fall off a cliff like Green (though very few expected that with Green either to be fair)
    Many expected that from green. Product of ovechkin and the caps high octane offence, that's it.