Thread: Halak/Hornqvist for Fleury/Richards

The Great One

Default Halak/Hornqvist for Fleury/Richards

Team and league in sig. I know id be giving up on goalie stats for the next season or two but I feel like Halak will be at least a 2nd tier dependable asset and Ive got a gut feeling that Hornqvist will be a beast. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Halak/Hornqvist for Fleury/Richards

Do you only score Wins for goalies? If so this is awfully risky for you. I am rooting for the Islanders this year, but it's tough to say that Halak will close to Fleury for wins.

The Great One

Complete scoring for tenders:

GA Goals Against -1 point
    GWG Game Winning Goals 2 points
    L Losses -3 points
    S Saves .25 points
    SO Shut Outs 5 points
    W Wins 10 points

So its not all wins but it is heavily win biased. Fleury was 4th best last year and has been a top 8 threat the last few. That being said i really like what the isles have done...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Okay, so for goalies I want to make a few assumptions.

1) Fleury starts the same number of games and Pittsburgh is about as good.
    2) Halak starts 60 games (last season Nabokov started 40)
    3) The Islanders improve a bit as a team.

Taking those 3 things into account (which are big assumptions) I figure Fleury will still outscore Halak under your settings by 100-125 points or so.

How much of a scoring boost do you figure you'll get out of Hornqvist over Richards?

The Great One

So its a done deal :O.

Aww man this was a tough one. Will it come back to haunt me??

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd say it's a "fair" deal, but I wouldn't give a massive edge either way. I didn't crunch the numbers for the point difference between Honrqvist and Richards though.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Okay, so for goalies I want to make a few assumptions.

1) Fleury starts the same number of games and Pittsburgh is about as good.
    2) Halak starts 60 games (last season Nabokov started 40)
    3) The Islanders improve a bit as a team.

Taking those 3 things into account (which are big assumptions) I figure Fleury will still outscore Halak under your settings by 100-125 points or so.

How much of a scoring boost do you figure you'll get out of Hornqvist over Richards?
    Love this response!

With only 53 points he netted 348 fpts based mostly on his beastly sog total. If he can net 65-70 on pit- thats likely in the 420-480 realm which is good for top 10-20 in our league scoring. Shooters are so heavily rewarded- I was a fan before the trade. In comparison richards scored 248.

So to me it feels like if Hornqvist repeats last years total its a wash- but if he can improve I come out ahead- assuming Halak can post those projections...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well then there ya go. I think you've done well then. Who knows what might happen with Fleury as well - good job!

Dobber Sports Stud

At first glance I think I'd prefer Halak/Hornqvist.

I like the direction the Isles are going, despite the fact they have to overpay to get players to come to them lol. They still have 14+ million in cap room so I can see them adding another defenceman from somewhere (Johnny Boychuk perhaps?), coupled with re-signing De Haan and Donovan gives them a nice defensive core for the year.

Hornqvist is a clear upgrade over Richards at this point. Halak and Fleury will be closer than people think IMO.

The Great One

Thanks doulos- appreciate the feedback!