Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: [2014 NHL Entry Draft] Draft Day Discussion Thread

I...am your father.

Default Re: [2014 NHL Entry Draft] Draft Day Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Some team is going to make waves, which one will it be ?

My guess is that the NYI move their pick for an established player
    I agree with this. Also the Canucks and the Oilers. The Canucks because of Kesler, just a hunch that he's going. The Oil and the Isles because free agents won't go there - so they have to trade for the good players. And so they will. Mark it! (Bye Sam Gagner!)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    You don't like Nick Bonino as Anaheim's C2??
    I came to like Bonino very much this past season.
    I don't think they need a C2.
    I''m not on board with that. He's miscast there, I still think No.3 C with spot starts at 2C, but I haven't completely written him off - he made huge strides last year. I said the same things early in the careers of Kesler and Sharp, so you never know

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Monster

More talk than action. I don't think many trades go down today. I think more deals happen once the cap is announced June 30th and after. Florida will keep the pick and select Ekblad. All in all I think for the most part it will be a status quo draft.

Dobber Sports Ninja

There will be picks being shuffled around after the top few go off the board, as there is a lot more uncertainty in this draft with the actual value after the top guys, so there is probably going to be GMs trying to squeeze out value in those picks.

I doubt we see much interesting happening though. Lots of talk, but not too much in the way of big deals. Maybe some smaller deals for picks and lower end players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I agree with this. Also the Canucks and the Oilers. The Canucks because of Kesler, just a hunch that he's going. The Oil and the Isles because free agents won't go there - so they have to trade for the good players. And so they will. Mark it! (Bye Sam Gagner!)
    I'd love it if Gagner got traded for something worthwhile, but it really seems like they want to give him a chance on the wing this season. I'd be awfully surprised if he gets moved.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Anyone care to guess how many trades occur just previous to or during round 1 of the draft? I say "4".
    ill take the over. 5-6 trades today

Dobber Sports Giant

I don't think we'll see many deals among the league's worst teams (picking top 5 or top 10).
    These teams know there is a HUGE prize next summer for being bad again.
    They do NOT want to significantly improve with proven players... if it's only a russian roullette (1 in 6) shot at making the playoffs.
    I think most teams would rather take those same odds on a long-shot at winning next year's lottery.

Thus, teams like FLA, BUF, EDM, CGY... these teams will hold their pick and make it.

I think there are a few interesting teams that could spend wisely in free agency and jump into the playoffs.
    Significantly in the East, where some might perceive that the 7th/8th slots might be available.
    NYI/OTT/TOR/NJ/CAR
    I could see these teams dealing their draft pick (if they have a 5th-15th pick) for a quality veteran.
    These teams are not that far from being competitive with Columbus/Detroit for those last two slots in the East.

Personally, I think DET & CBJ are both rising... not falling... which makes the TOP EIGHT in the East very solid for the foreseeable future.
    For that reason, NYI/CAR should just use their pick and work on their youth.

TOR... they are the wildcard, I don't think their fanbase would allow them to wait.
    They are a fringe playoff team and a cap spending team.

Potential deals I could see:
    1. TOR moving their #8 pick for a veteran C1/C2, if it was available. For example, Spezza. I know this is an in-province rivalry.. but OTT needs to be gutted (IMO). They aren't that far from being really, really bad and could potentially fall down in the BUF/FLA group this season and have a chance at McDavid in the lottery. Toronto is one excellent center from jumping CBJ/DET... IMO.

2. ANA moving their #10 pick for a veteran winger. This team is really close to a shot at the Cup. I think they'd be better served with more offense than youth.

3. DET moving their #15 pick for a veteran defenseman. Detroit's new look young forwards are going to be solid next year... but the defense is still questionable. They need a veteran top 4D man badly.

Those are my three predictions for trade possibilities.
    Great stuff here from P7 as usual, but I think there's going to be a bit more action from teams drafting in the top-10. There are a couple HUGE prizes next year (McDavid/Eichel), maybe even three or more with Hanifin in the mix. But there are going to be serious changes to the NHL draft lottery for the 2015 draft, and odds are going to be compressed for all the non-playoff teams -- giving teams just outside the playoff picture a greater chance of winning the lottery.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11...lottery-system

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...determine.html

I think this information (the proposal has already been adopted by Board of Governors, waiting on NHLPA approval) is going to impact how teams at the bottom, yet feel they aren't too far away, take action during Free Agency and draft-day trades. Teams like FLA/EDM/NYI/VAN etc. could all make a splash by trading their pick for established NHL talent.

Florida is probably going to draft Ekblad at #1, and unless they can get an established top2 Dman for the pick, they're probably going to pass and draft the most NHL-ready prospect available in 2014. Edmonton will probably keep #3 and draft Leon Draisaitl or Sam Bennett, but the possibility remains that they could move the pick for a top2-4 Dman, or trade up with Florida to take Ekblad. But chances are they will just draft the Deutschland Dangler, grooming him for a 2C role in the NHL. They're not exactly deep down the middle, so a C is what the Oilers are going to target unless they can trade up for Ekblad or bring in a Dman for the pick. The Islanders, however, are one of the more interesting teams going into next season. With Halak on board as a legit #1, a healthy season from JT, and the emergence of players like Okposo, Ryan Strome, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson etc., the Islanders could be a VERY competitive team next year. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Islanders trade the 5th overall pick at the last minute for some proven talent. Im not going to speculate on anything in particular, but I could see them going aftera winger to play in the top6. Vancouver in another interesting story, as things can't possibly be as horrible as last season. Injuries to both Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, etc. really made things difficult for the Canucks. Lack emerged as a legitimate option, and with Markstrom (and a possible addition through FA) the Canucks should be, at least, average when it comes to goaltending. I could definitely see them going after a netminder, as there are a whole lot of available options in FA -- Hiller, Miller, Greiss, Johnson, etc. etc. When you consider the fact that they will probably move Kesler at some point, the likelihood they move their pick for an established "replacement" for him increases IMO, even if only slightly. If the Sedins, Burrows, etc. can stay healthy, the Canucks are honestly not that far away from being a playoff team - provided they can find a suitable replacement at 2C for Kesler. I feel like this is a team that had the worst case scenario season in 2013-14, and with some shrewd FA signings (and potentially a big trade involving their 1st round pick), the Canucks could be a low-end playoff team in the West next season.

I really like the suggestions for ANA/TOR/DET, and they're certainly all possible.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good link on that ESPN article.
    I thought it was decided that the lottery wouldn't be revised for the 2015 draft... but I guess it will be.
    I'd be interested to see the new weightings.
    Poor Buffalo... that sucks for them.

I agree - it would change team's strategy.
    I'm surprised this has been decided so close to the draft, but I'd guess the board all NEEDS the decision to be pre-draft... so teams know how to evaluate their potential for next year's lottery.

Dobber Sports Giant

Good link on that ESPN article.
    I thought it was decided that the lottery wouldn't be revised for the 2015 draft... but I guess it will be.
    I'd be interested to see the new weightings.
    Poor Buffalo... that sucks for them.

I agree - it would change team's strategy.
    I'm surprised this has been decided so close to the draft, but I'd guess the board all NEEDS the decision to be pre-draft... so teams know how to evaluate their potential for next year's lottery.
    Yeah, I've heard different things in terms of which changes will be implemented in 2015 vs. 2016; however, I would assume that the "anti-tanking" changes are going to be a huge issue for many GMs this coming season with McDavid/Eichel at the top of the draft class. I guess we'll see.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Yeah, I've heard different things in terms of which changes will be implemented in 2015 vs. 2016; however, I would assume that the "anti-tanking" changes are going to be a huge issue for many GMs this coming season with McDavid/Eichel at the top of the draft class. I guess we'll see.
    Sucks for you too... a bit.
    Since our league's "lottery" rules follow the NHL "lottery" rules.

But... then again... if the NHL thinks it's important to change the lottery, then fantasy leagues should see that similar adjustment should be considered important.
    A good study in why (I think) it's good for fantasy hockey leagues to simply mimic the NHL's lottery.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Huh, I also thought that any changes were not going to be until 2016. That's an incredibly significant change to happen so soon, particularly given who is going to be in that draft. I hope they are not going to do it so soon.

I'm a little nervous about this sort of idea and where it might lead though. I get that you don't want to encourage tanking too much, but parity is essential in the NHL and if things go too far and end up punishing teams that are legitimately bad - well there is some discomfort there for me.

Dobber Sports Giant

Sucks for you too... a bit.
    Since our league's "lottery" rules follow the NHL "lottery" rules.

But... then again... if the NHL thinks it's important to change the lottery, then fantasy leagues should see that similar adjustment should be considered important.
    A good study in why (I think) it's good for fantasy hockey leagues to simply mimic the NHL's lottery.
    I just need to acquire more 2015 picks. I'm not worried about the changes, it's just another wrinkle. I do hope 2016 is the year they changes begin, but that's just being greedy.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Huh, I also thought that any changes were not going to be until 2016. That's an incredibly significant change to happen so soon, particularly given who is going to be in that draft. I hope they are not going to do it so soon.

I'm a little nervous about this sort of idea and where it might lead though. I get that you don't want to encourage tanking too much, but parity is essential in the NHL and if things go too far and end up punishing teams that are legitimately bad - well there is some discomfort there for me.
    Yeah, I think the most equitable way to make these changes would be to implement them at least 2 years out, but preferably 4 or 5 just because this seriously affects how bottom-feeders have to approach their rebuilds.

I...am your father.

2014 Draft in 30 minutes. Here is the official DobberProspects open chat - Let's talk draft picks and trade rumors!

The Great One

I'm predicting -

Ekblad doesn't go at 1
    Van make another trade
    Spezza doesn't get moved today

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm moving! Terrible day for it, but I'll try and check back in here as often as I can. I bet the Canucks move up, but not to 1
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks