Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nail Yakupov - 3rd liner

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Nail Yakupov - 3rd liner

MacTavish: “Yup. That’s fair. Much like Chicago’s got where they have three lines of offensive guys and a fourth line that can play against anybody. That’s what we’d really like to do. We need (Anton) Lander to step up and (Mark) Arcobello, or add a free-agent forward or two who can compete for those jobs. Maybe somebody who could come in and be a good fit with Yak (Nail Yakupov on the third line). We have the first line (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle). If we can draft a guy at centre who can play, then we’d have that guy, Perron and Sam or some form of that.”
    http://oilersnation.com/2014/6/23/we...e-nail-yakupov

Sounds like the plan is for Yakupov to be on the 3rd line next season (again). Good move or a bad one?
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Nail Yakupov - 3rd liner

Obviously not good if you're a Yakupov owner. The other interesting tidbit is it seems he's saying that Gagner is playing wing on the 2nd line with Perron and the Centre they draft. With the forwards they have right now I don't see Yakupov getting much offence on the 3rd line, and I don't see him being happy about being a 3rd liner. What does make sense is shipping out Gagner and having a 2nd line of Perron - drafted Centre - Yakupov. If they were deeper they could try and run 3 offensive lines and slide Yakupov up onto the top PP. I have a hard time believing Yakupov will be a full-time 3rd liner next year.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

If the third line is still Hendricks and Boyd Gordon then it's a huge mistake.

If the third line is Kulemin and Arcobello (who I am high on) then maybe it's a little better.

He needs to get the game figured out awfully quick now. No more excuses as he's entering his third season. Stick him with a couple guys who are defensively responsible, but can still put up some points and the feed Yakupov the puck on the powerplay to utilize his shot and build up his confidence. The early third of the season is going to be huge to figuring out what happens with his career I suspect.

Dobber Sports Deity

Can anyone remember the last guy who was drafted 1st overall, played his entire professional career in the NHL and by his 3rd year, still not promoted off the third line? It doesn't happen. You don't draft a guy 1st overall to play 3rd line minutes in the NHL, especially when your team is as bad as the Oilers have been.

I just sit here and shake my head at this organization more often then not.

Brutal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Bad news for fantasy owners right now?? Of course.. But this doesn't change anything long term..

Like doulos said, he needs to wake up soon..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sounds like MacT believe he can motivate Yak by trash-talking him to the 3rd line.
    That's a hit/miss tactic.
    I grew up playing soccer & hockey competitively.
    I did better with encouragement from my coaches.
    But some teammates I had played better when they were criticized.

I'd have to assume that MacT believes he gets the best out of Yak when he suggest Yak is a 3rd liner.

We'll see.
    It certainly doesn't help Yak trade value to call him a 3rd liner.
    I guess they won't be moving him for any valuable parts.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Can anyone remember the last guy who was drafted 1st overall, played his entire professional career in the NHL and by his 3rd year, still not promoted off the third line? It doesn't happen. You don't draft a guy 1st overall to play 3rd line minutes in the NHL, especially when your team is as bad as the Oilers have been.

I just sit here and shake my head at this organization more often then not.

Brutal.
    This. I Agree.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ninja

Context is everything. The Oilers believe that they are going to run a third line that is still offensive (not in the traditional Oilers sense of being so bad that it offends people), and gets the real easy matchups. Whether that can be done or not remains to be seen, but we're not talking about the traditional third line type lingo here.

MacTavish has been nothing but supportive of Yakupov.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

They need to trade him or he'll walk anyway at some point. What a gong show of morons in Edmonton. On top of it they sign some no name D-man drafted 10 years ago to a huge 2 year deal. Whos running the team there the red headed son of the owner? WTF!

Dobber Sports Icon

I am sure he'll be on the first line eventually - maybe with Filatov or Burmistrov. Heck, maybe he'll get lucky and be able to play with Kovalchuk.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He's an rfa at the end of this year. No Way in hell he's going to be here by the trade deadline unless Eakins is gone.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Until he starts playing like he deserves 1st or 2nd line minutes, I do not see what all the fuss is about. I shudder to think about have many more goals we would allow with Yakupov on the ice for 20 minutes a game. Where he was picked in the draft is irrelevant IMO, Yak has some serious holes in his game and make-up as a player and there is no way he would be getting top-6 minutes on a good team with how he has played. Accountability within an organization has to start somewhere.

Earn the minutes, get the minutes.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Until he starts playing like he deserves 1st or 2nd line minutes, I do not see what all the fuss is about. I shudder to think about have many more goals we would allow with Yakupov on the ice for 20 minutes a game. Where he was picked in the draft is irrelevant IMO, Yak has some serious holes in his game and make-up as a player and there is no way he would be getting top-6 minutes on a good team with how he has played. Accountability within an organization has to start somewhere.

Earn the minutes, get the minutes.
    If he's (being the top pick overall) not worthy of top 6 minutes then I blame one of (if not all) three things. Bad scouting, bad management or bad coaching. My guess, its the later.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If he's (being the top pick overall) not worthy of top 6 minutes then I blame one of (if not all) three things. Bad scouting, bad management or bad coaching. My guess, its the later.
    It's not the scouting, it's already well-known that Yak was not their #1 choice and Katz intervened/interfered. So yes, this is definitely part bad management (as are most things with the Oilers). There is definitely bad coaching at play here too, he got way too much of a free pass as a rookie and then was just as poorly handled by Eakins last season in the opposite manner.

Ultimately, this is a management/ownership gaffe. If McGregor and the scouts had full control, Yak would have never have been selected 1st overall and we would have another desperately needed blue-chip dman in the system/line-up.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    It's not the scouting, it's already well-known that Yak was not their #1 choice and Katz intervened/interfered. So yes, this is definitely part bad management (as are most things with the Oilers). There is definitely bad coaching at play here too, he got way too much of a free pass as a rookie and then was just as poorly handled by Eakins last season in the opposite manner.

Ultimately, this is a management/ownership gaffe. If McGregor and the scouts had full control, Yak would have never have been selected 1st overall and we would have another desperately needed blue-chip dman in the system/line-up.
    Hard to say the kid got a free pass in his rookie season when he lead the team in goals. He goes from 17G, 31points in 48 games with a -4 rating to 11G, 24pts in 63 games with a -33 rating. We all know what changed from one year to the next.