Thread: Inaugural season draft plan

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Inaugural season draft plan

Hey boys.

So I have a new league starting and am wondering what your thoughts are on a draft plan. I'm picking last so that means 16th and 17th

16 teams :
    Roster: 4 centres, 4 right wing, 4 left wing, 6 defence, 2 goalies, 4 bench
    Scoring Cats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW - W, SV%, GAA, SVS Made
    Salaries Used: Using NHL Players cap hit
    Salary Cap: NHL salary cap + 20 million

As you can see goalies only have 4 cats so I'm thinking quality sure fire #1 dmen are the priority here as we have 6 slots and there are limited quality blue chip #1 dmen.

I was thinking along the lines of F,D , F,D until the run on tenders starts. d also take longer to develop so I can load up on young breakout forwards later?

Thoughts
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Inaugural season draft plan

I have always been of the mind, that in an inaugural draft, in the first couple of rounds, you should never pre determine what you are going to take before the draft starts. I would always take the best available player, regardless of position for the first 2 or 3 rounds. Build around that, and fill holes as the draft progresses.

Rylant

Dobber Sports All-Star

16 teams and salary cap, I will almost never go after defence in early rounds. Short of Karlsson and maybe Subban, they won't give you the offensive stats compared to forwards, and the good ones will cost you a lot of salary. Easier to pick defence for specific cats like PIM, blocks, hits in mid to late rounds and they won't cost you very much either. Even though goalie cats only make up 25% of the total cats, having a good goalie could almost guarantee that you will win those cats every week. First two rounds for you, I think it's almost critical to land at least one of: an elite goalie or a star forward, or both. Another option would be to land 2 star forwards and go after a starter goalie/ back up goalie later and forfeit those cats in favour of the offensive cats.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

How experienced are your league mates? Do you have a read on that?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My favourite league is very similar.
    25 player roster: 4/4/4/6/2 + 5 bench.
    Team cap = $25m above NHL cap.
    Skater cats: G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SOG... HIT,BLK,FOW
    Goalie cats: W,SV,GAA,SV%,SO

My league is only 12 teams... but we have deep AHL rosters (25 players) + Junior.

Strategies that work:
    1. It starts with knowing you will draft defense LATE. Blocks are going to come primarily from D. So on your team you want PIM/BLK/HIT defensemen. You can find these guys at low salaries... so don't fill up all your D slots when you can draft a guy like Kevan Millar or Brendan Dillon or Radko Gudsas to give you great stats for a minimum price. These type of young defensemen that get thrown into their line-ups to goon it up & block shots, they are always ALWAYS! rising into the NHL at bare minimum salaries, so reserve 4-5 of your 6D slots for them. If you want ONE anchor, a rock solid D... that's fine. I win BLK/HIT/PIM almost every week in my cap league. For years I've been rotating in guys like Theo Peckham, Clayton Stoner, Jay Harrison, Andrew MacDonald.
    My current 7D:
    $7.000m Chara, Zdeno
    $1.500m Harrison, Jay
    $1.100m Martinez, Alec
    $1.100m Fistric, Mark
    $0.925m Czuczman, Kevin
    $0.750m Miller, Kevan
    $0.600m Holden, Nick

2. With 16 teams, there is going to be a run on goalies. You are a very tough draft spot... last. If you go F/D, there could be a run on ALL #1 NHL goalies in the 30 draft picks before your 3rd/4th round picks. You can't let this happen. I think you almost NEED to commit to taking 1G (minimum) in your first two picks.

3. In your first 8 rounds, here's what I would take in this league: 5F, 1D, 2G. In general, you are going to NEED to get scoring (G,A,Pts,GWG,PPP,SOG) from your forwards. So draft top 6 forwards as fast as you can. This goes hand-in-hand with waiting on defense and drafting them VERY late. I do a one-year league (ROTO) with similar cats and I always draft my defensemen VERY late... two years ago I drafted all 5D slots as my last 5 picks in a 25 round pool. I finished top three, last year... and this year.

One GREAT, GREAT, GREAT feature of back-to-back picks is that people are very hesitant on drafting an IFFY goalie situation.
    Anaheim for example: Gibson/Anderson.
    St.Louis for example: Elliott/Allen.

For you, these are going to be BEAUTY teams, because you may be able to nab BOTH goalies on back-to-back picks in 5th/6th or 7th/8th round picks.
    This secures 82games of goalie starts on a GOOD team.
    This is fantastic.

The Minnesota pairing/threesome of goalies may also be available in late rounds, like the 7th/8th.

ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL:
    Make a list of your top 17 players.
    Do it slow.
    Compare your first two guys, which one do you like better.
    Add a 3rd guy... if he's your 3rd, place him 3rd.
    Keep doing this one player at a time until you've gone through the top 17 skaters + top 10 goalies.

You shouldn't hem & haw about whether you want Corey Perry or Taylor Hall when it is your choice.
    Have your list made.
    Know who you prefer.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think it makes a difference if you have daily or weekly starts. That would govern my goalie drafting strategy for sure - I am assuming this is not a max games league by the way - but in fact a H2H roto. It also matters who your service provider is - position eligibility is a relative important key to draft effectiveness in this deep a league.

Dobber Sports Rookie

If it is an unlimited keeper, a 16 team league with 2 goalie slots and only 30 starters. IMO you go G/G and get the two best starters you can. You can manage with average players but below average goalies is a complete write off.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
    If it is an unlimited keeper, a 16 team league with 2 goalie slots and only 30 starters. IMO you go G/G and get the two best starters you can. You can manage with average players but below average goalies is a complete write off.
    If it is H2H... drafting goalies too soon can be a big mistake.
    In ROTO, I'm OK with this plan... quality goalies are awesome plan.

But in any given calendar week... even a Tuukka Rask or Lundqvist can have an off-week.
    Also, considering that H2H playoffs are end of NHL season, you can sometimes see teams resting their #1... as BOS did this year giving Chad Johnson several spot starts in the last two weeks.

H2H vs. ROTO, good item for OP to include in his SIG.
    Daily/weekly starts can also be important.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for the feedback guys! You rock. Yes it's H2H weekly roster
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's