Thread: Young NHL Close Goalies (Chapter 2)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Young NHL Close Goalies (Chapter 2)

I've enjoyed the other thread of the same name, but I'd like to compare a slightly different group of young tenders. IMO the following guys should/could be coming into the League Next year in fairly strong 1b type situations. How long before these youngsters leap frog the incumbent 1A's (for a variety of reasons) and what kind of projections can we expect?

1B - Gibson to 1A Andersen
    1B - Allen to 1A Elliott
    1B - Lehner to 1A Anderson
    1B - Campbell to 1A Lehtonen
    1B - Stalock to 1A Neimi

And to a lesser extent unless he makes the jump this year:
    1B - Andrey Vasilevskiy(not quite maybe) but 1A Bishop

How soon can we expect a jump and how would you rank these guys (as in...how would you draft these guys in order THIS year with a 2 to 3 year focus)?

Here's my perspective and I'm interested in whether I'm on track or need to refocus my targets this year.

Tier 1
    1st - Gibson... I would love to see a Strong 40/60 split here as soon as next year between Gibson/Andersen. With Gibson's golden boy status, I could see him overtaking Anderson by mid season
    2nd - Lehner... Baring injuries, I still see a 70/30 split in favor of Anderson this year, but fully expect Anderson to be moved mid season clearing the crease for Lehner to take over.

Tier 2
    3rd - Allen... Not sure what to make of the Allen situation. I do NOT have all that much faith in Elliott, and as such, could see that imploding for St.Louis. However, I could see them pitching for another Vet goalie if that happens which may further stiffle Alen's opportunities, but he also seems to have acumen to step in and take over Bishop style in St.Louis, if the Brass there have Balls of the same material
    4th - Stalock... Not sure how Stalock compares to the other 1B's I've mentioned...haven't seem much of him and I get umcomfortable about banking on a young guy taking the crease from the "main stay" who has been stellar in the past, but coming off a very dissapointing season...and the team's "In Flux status" doesn't help, but could be a boom/bust situation

Teir 3
    5th - Campbell... Honestly, I forgot about Campbell...which scares me. I only mention him here because of the Banter in the other thread. I have no comment on Campbell at this point. Looking for your input.

Unknown Factor - Andrey Vasilevskiy... How far off is he? How quickly can he leap up the depth chart and make the show? How likely is it that he will eventually take the Crease from Bishop. Again...looking for some input here from those of you who are closer to the situation.

Draft Order For Me.

Gibson - I'd burn a 1st rounder if I could to snap up and stash him. Having Bob and Crawford are nice, but I want to get in on the Ground Floor here.
    Lehner - (Glatt will surely make a Smart Ass Comment here about my toils with Lehner last year and ultimately trading him away... but he could be had again) Perhaps 2nd round attention
    Allen - Possible 2nd Round Snap up.
    Vasilevskiy - Could be a Great Late round pick up if still available, just incase he makes the show THIS Year. Plug and Play behind Bishop
    Stalock/Campbell?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Young NHL Close Goalies (Chapter 2)

Allen has a one way deal this coming season so it's pretty unlikely the Blues will bring in another G on top of him and the recently re-signed Elliott. Given their new contracts (Allen @ 800K, Elliott @ 2.5M x 3 years) I can see Allen taking the ball and running with it this year, getting a nice longer term contract in the offseason, and swapping roles with Elliott in 2015-16.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't know about a first round pick, you have 154 players kept and I'm sure there will be some neat guys that aren't kept. Bobs turns 26 in sept and Crow turns 30 in dec, they aren't exactly on their way out and I think Bob belongs in the top tier of goalies.

I would target Gibson round 2/3 then Stalock 4/5.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    I don't know about a first round pick, you have 154 players kept and I'm sure there will be some neat guys that aren't kept. Bobs turns 26 in sept and Crow turns 30 in dec, they aren't exactly on their way out and I think Bob belongs in the top tier of goalies.

I would target Gibson round 2/3 then Stalock 4/5.
    All good points. I don't have a 1st round pick, so I'd hope that Gibson drops to the 2nd round but when we can keep 3 goalies and we have 12 teams (expanding this team) that's the potential of 36 Goalies kept... I think Gibson may be worth the select and stash.

If I can find a way to move up in the draft, I think I'd still spend it on him. My Skaters were good enough to land me 2nd this year (and that's even with J.T. out with Injury for half the season).

Then next year I have 2 1st round picks and will be targetting McD!

Thanks for the input!