Thread: Luongo on Team 1040 talks about Canucks and Panthers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Luongo on Team 1040 talks about Canucks and Panthers

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worth.../nichols-notes

Roberto Luongo joined Team 1040 Monday evening and he shared some thoughts on the Vancouver Canucks and Florida Panthers.

Does he have closure on the Canucks’ front and does he have peace with it?

“Yeah, I’m good with it. You know, the way it went down is a bit weird, a little surprising and stuff like that. Yeah, I mean, I’m okay. I’m good. I have no hard feelings toward anybody. I’m happy to see everybody. I just saw Trev, so that was kind of weird to see him now that he’s the president, to talk to him in that regard, but yeah, it’s great to be here.”

Were you shocked when it happened? You said it was weird.

“Yeah, I mean I was. I didn’t – we all know, obviously, what led up to it. The year, year and a half before that. Going into the year, I didn’t know what was going to happen, but after we had passed the midway point my family was here, my daughter was in school. You know, we were getting used to being here again and we were actually starting to look at houses, so at that point in time we really weren’t expecting to get traded. It’s kind of weird how things happen in life, but all of the sudden we come back from the Olympics and we all know what happened there. A couple of days later that was it.”

Was that the trigger point – the Heritage Classic?

“Yeah, I think so. I think it was really the last straw, if we can call it that. I think – you know, and I don’t have any resentment toward anybody about it, but I think obviously that’s what led up to the events that happened. “

How close to winning do you think you are with the Florida Panthers?

“Here’s the thing. A lot of people think that I went down there to ride into the sunset and all that kind of nonsense. That’s not me. I want to win. I put a lot of trust in my agent in the work that he put in and the ownership is dedicated to winning. We’ve got some new owners in there and they’ve said that we’re going to spend some money in free agency and bring the salary up close to the cap within a year or two. I’ve talked to them many times over the course of the last couple of months and they’ve told me they’re in the free agency market and they told me they’re looking to spend some money and get some players.

“Definitely the young talent is there. I think we’ve got a new great young coach coming in this year that can help us go along and who knows? It’s all about the pieces that we get, right? I mean, you have to get the right mix together to have a good team and hopefully we’ll be in contention for a playoff spot this year.”

How many years do you think you have left to be part of that organization?

“I mean, as long as I could play. I’m enjoying the game. I think I had a pretty good season. I’m happy with the way things went. Obviously I wasn’t participating in the playoffs, which was disappointing, but I want to keep it going as long as I could. Right now I’m feeling healthy. My body is holding up, which is key, and I’m enjoying the game. Those are the key things for me in regards to my career.”
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Luongo on Team 1040 talks about Canucks and Panthers

Teams that are heavily active in free agency are NEVER successful.. The Panthers have a great young core group, they now have to acquire some leadership, and guys that will come in and show that it takes alot of hard work to win..

The Florida Panthers still need time to grow as a unit.. They need to keep their draft picks and continue stock piling picks.. Ekblad, if picked by the Panthers, will be really good for the team going forward..

Back to Roberto Loungo: Loungo's wife is from Florida, Florida was pretty much the only team on Luongo's list, and Luongo still has a house in Florida.. Say whatever you like Roberto, but you are in Florida to "ride off into the sunset"..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Boy Tortorella was a goofball.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Say whatever you like Roberto, but you are in Florida to "ride off into the sunset"..
    Yep. It's high political line etc. for the media and the cameras, but where he is in his career and where that team is, he's in the end of career mode, teaching the youth there to become pros etc. and riding off into the sunset.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Yep. It's high political line etc. for the media and the cameras, but where he is in his career and where that team is, he's in the end of career mode, teaching the youth there to become pros etc. and riding off into the sunset.
    Well it sure is sunny down there, and I can't see them competing for the Stanley Cup anytime soon.. So saddle up Roberto and grab those reins..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Well it sure is sunny down there, and I can't see them competing for the Stanley Cup anytime soon.. So saddle up Roberto and grab those reins..
    And those swim trunks!

There are always players that like to win and there are those that hate to lose. Always one more than the other. Roberto is of the cloth that like to win.

And he'll like to win in Florida, about 25 times a year, 17-21 of which will be his..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's the story that never ends - hopefully one day he has an autobiography, would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during those past 2-3 years in Van.