Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New HOF Inductees announced.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: New HOF Inductees announced.

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Modano was a star. Recchi was a nice complimentary player who could play on a team's top line, but his greatest feat was longevity. That counts for something, but not when compared against the real stars of the game. Lots of guys not in the Hall more deserving than Recchi.
    he was 4th in the league in scoring as a 22 year old and first on his team, Lemieux only played 26 games that season or was it John Cullen that he leeched his points off of

he was 10th in the league in 92-93 and again first on his team with 123 points, Brind'Amour had 86 points

he was tied for 5 in the league in 93-94 and again first on his team with 107 points, ahead of Lindros and Brind'Amour by 10 points

and those are just some of his seasons

as for longevity that is funny considering he was a rookie the exact same season as Modano and he finished the exact same season as Modano, Recchi played one more season a 15 game season in 1988-89, also Recchi has a .93 PPG and Modano a .92 PPG so no it is not just longevity

Modano outscored Recchi 9 times while Recchi outscored Modano 12 times, every season that Recchi outscored Modano it was by 10+ points while 5 of the 9 times Modano outscored Recchi he did so by single digits

how the hell was Modano a star and Recchi not

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    he was 4th in the league in scoring as a 22 year old and first on his team, Lemieux only played 26 games that season or was it John Cullen that he leeched his points off of

he was 10th in the league in 92-93 and again first on his team with 123 points, Brind'Amour had 86 points

he was tied for 5 in the league in 93-94 and again first on his team with 107 points, ahead of Lindros and Brind'Amour by 10 points

and those are just some of his seasons

as for longevity that is funny considering he was a rookie the exact same season as Modano and he finished the exact same season as Modano, Recchi played one more season a 15 game season in 1988-89, also Recchi has a .93 PPG and Modano a .92 PPG so no it is not just longevity

Modano outscored Recchi 9 times while Recchi outscored Modano 12 times, every season that Recchi outscored Modano it was by 10+ points while 5 of the 9 times Modano outscored Recchi he did so by single digits

how the hell was Modano a star and Recchi not
    I guess it's because Recchi was never the face of a franchise like Modano was in Dallas.

I would be curious to see how many of those seasons where Recchi outscored Modano were later in their careers when Recchi played with a greater supporting cast.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    I guess it's because Recchi was never the face of a franchise like Modano was in Dallas.
    doesn't make Modano a better player imo

I would be curious to see how many of those seasons where Recchi outscored Modano were later in their careers when Recchi played with a greater supporting cast.
    it was all over the place actually
    90-91,91-92,92-93,93-94,94-95,97-98,99-00,03-04,06-07,08-09,09-10,10-11

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

doesn't make Modano a better player imo

it was all over the place actually
    90-91,91-92,92-93,93-94,94-95,97-98,99-00,03-04,06-07,08-09,09-10,10-11
    Interesting, and thanks for posting. I guess you should start a petition...........if Recchi was American then he would have been the one getting in?

Dobber Sports Wizard

i don't think that Modano doesn't belong in the HOF for the record

i just think that Recchi belongs there ahead of him

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

i don't think that Modano doesn't belong in the HOF for the record

i just think that Recchi belongs there ahead of him
    Completely understand where you're coming from.........arguments can be made for so many players.

Banned

I doubt there was a GM in the league who would have taken Recchi over Modano for their team at any point during their respective careers - thank goodness the selection committee doesn't get too wrapped up in numbers. I also think that if you are looking for a player that has been snubbed by the HOF it is Sergei Makarov... nobody that isn't in the Hall deserves to be there more than this guy. Unbelievable really, considering this guy was considered the best player on the planet (not named Gretzky) for nearly a decade. I also think Burns made it into the Hall for sentimental reasons and that more deserving coaches were passed over. Like all of the "voted" NHL awards - serious flaws are abundant...

Banned

All excellent choices IMO, Hasek and Burns longggg overdue too. The Burns thing is just a perfect example of the Bettman-era NHL and not being able to see beyond the tip of his little weasely nose. You have to look at that situation and say 'this guy is a lock to get in' so why wait? You think the other guys that went in before him are gonna be bent outta shape that he skipped in line a bit? **** no, they know the deal just like any true hockey fan does.

Lucifer, I actually agree with you on this.... Recchi has always been one of those guys who has been underrated and under-appreciated...I lump him into the same group as guys like Mike Gartner and Ciccarelli who quietly amassed ridiculous numbers that surprise you when you look at them in various categories (Gartner 30th all time in pts, but 6th in goals (708)!... Ciccarelli 45th overall and 17th overall in goals with 608). I think the reason Recchi gets no love is because he was never a good skater and he was never a flashy player or especially well-rounded, I always said he was the best 2nd line winger in the league. He should get in though

Dobber Sports Master

HHOF lost me when they didn't put Burns in when he was alive and they had the chance. Disgusting and shame on them. When all we get in this World is one life and then total oblivion (hopefully not), then how the hell do you not induct who was clearly a deserving candidate (3 time coach of the year with over 500 wins!) when he was eligible and basically on his death bed. What a slap in the face. I can't even watch any more induction ceremonies or follow any inductions after that. Shame on them. Pat Burns is in and it is no thanks to the ridiculous, puke-like fogies that kept him out. Disgrace. Congratulations to the Burns family.

Modano is deserving (highest scoring american). So is Hasek (Vezina). I would not have put Blake in, necessarily.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great, great HHOF class.
    Nice group!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    ..........if Recchi was American then he would have been the one getting in?
    I would argue that to absolutely be the case. HHOF is about two things (purportedly, as it is also about politics but I guess we can't talk about that..) stats and impact on the game. Being the highest scoring american player speaks to impact on the game in the USA. Being a prolific scorer amongst a plethora of canadian greats has less of an impact of the game, you could say... I agree it's all about face and image for Modano.. which is why the Hall of Fame is sometimes exactly that, a hall of popularity, a popularity contest... And it's why Recchi is not in, despite having the stats.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Modano is deserving (highest scoring american). So is Hasek (Vezina). I would not have put Blake in, necessarily.
    Agreed. I also think that the voting committee should have been human about Burns' enshrinement, it was so obviously obvious. A shame. That said, Recchi shouldn't be there for just being very good, it's for excellence. Nor should Mike Gartner be there, but I digress.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket