Thread: Expansion Woes

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Expansion Woes

League in sig. is holding an expansion as follows: each GM protects 8 players of their own choosing, and the expansion team then picks 3 unprotected players from each team; Each GM then chooses one of their 3 picked players to give up to the expansion team.

Basically, I have a very top-heavy team with a lot of veteran guys whose values I see as packed closely together. So, basically I'm set on Keeping Crosby, Malkin, Voracek, Couture, Granlund, Nyquist and Kesler.

I have 3 questions, essentially, for you all: (1) who do you slot in as my last protected player? (2) who would you poach from my team? (3) Is there anyone on my list of protected players that you'd consider dumping?
    The League:
    11-teams, pts-only, no positional restrictions, top 12/20 count.
    1 in-season UFA (24+y/o), 3 round entry draft.
    Unlimited (24+y/o) off-season UFAs after the entry draft.

The Show:
    Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Eberle, Couture, Krejci, Subban, Simmonds, Hedman, Jokinen, Kesler, Barrie, Johansson

The Farm:
    MacKinnon, Toffoli, Bjugstad, Spooner, Zucker, Bjorkstrand, Jaskin

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Expansion Woes

I would protect Teravainen for sure. He'll get nabbed by an expansion team for sure. I would also hang to Carter as well (over Kesler -- since Kesler has had a rough couple years; there's a chance the expansion team passes on him in favor of another).

If I were the expansion team, and was choosing the leftovers, I'd probably claim Ennis and Backes, and then choose between Kesler, Bozak, and Staal (probably Kesler). Depending on the timeline of the expansion, Bozak might be a bit more dispensable. If the Leafs sign a #1 C, I'm guessing he'll take a hit. Kesler might also be in a new city -- which will impact his value.

Ideally, Chiasson's hot start last year and youthfulness entices the new owner. But if he's smart, he'll grab someone trade-able.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'd protect Jeff Carter.
    If I'm the expansion team, I'd call out my THREE as: Ennis, Backes, + somebody.
    If I'm you, I'd let the "somebody" go.

Dobber Sports Guru

As an expansion team, the three guys I'd choose from your team is AP, Backes and Bozak. My goal as an expansion team would be to get players who could get enough points next season for me to trade to the contenders next year for better prospects/picks than what I could get in the expansion.

Then from your side, I'd keep AP for sure. As for Backes vs Bozak, it would depend on what the Blues and Leafs do this offseason (ie- if the Leafs get Joe Thornton, then I'd give him Bozak, who would become a second-line centre).

Truthfully, I'd keep AP as your final keeper anyways.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by number54 View Post
    League in sig. is holding an expansion as follows: each GM protects 8 players of their own choosing, and the expansion team then picks 3 unprotected players from each team; Each GM then chooses one of their 3 picked players to give up to the expansion team.
    So you're basically protecting 10 players from your team? Doesn't sound fair for the expansion team.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    As an expansion team, the three guys I'd choose from your team is AP, Backes and Bozak. My goal as an expansion team would be to get players who could get enough points next season for me to trade to the contenders next year for better prospects/picks than what I could get in the expansion.

Then from your side, I'd keep AP for sure. As for Backes vs Bozak, it would depend on what the Blues and Leafs do this offseason (ie- if the Leafs get Joe Thornton, then I'd give him Bozak, who would become a second-line centre).

Truthfully, I'd keep AP as your final keeper anyways.
    No positions -- If I'm reading his signature correctly, I'm guessing AP is simply a 50 point player in this format (with less upside than others). I'd rather have most of the Fs on the team over him if that's the case.

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    No positions -- If I'm reading his signature correctly, I'm guessing AP is simply a 50 point player in this format (with less upside than others). I'd rather have most of the Fs on the team over him if that's the case.
    Yeah, I saw that. But I'd still rather a consistent 50-point dman than Bozak, who has never hit that mark; Mike Richards, who hasn't hit that mark in three years; Ennis, who has never hit 50 points and is on a horri-awful team; Jordan Staal, who has hit 50 points once in his career; and Jeff Carter, who's 50 points this year is his highest in three season.

AP has two 50-point seasons in the last three years. Those five players I mentioned have two 50-point seasons between them in the last three seasons.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    So you're basically protecting 10 players from your team? Doesn't sound fair for the expansion team.
    Slim Pickings for expansion teams - I would keep Teravainen as well - look at future upside.
    easy to replace a Jeff Carter.
    Would like to see if Kesler goes somewhere before decision.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. But I'd still rather a consistent 50-point dman than Bozak, who has never hit that mark; Mike Richards, who hasn't hit that mark in three years; Ennis, who has never hit 50 points and is on a horri-awful team; Jordan Staal, who has hit 50 points once in his career; and Jeff Carter, who's 50 points this year is his highest in three season.

AP has two 50-point seasons in the last three years. Those five players I mentioned have two 50-point seasons between them in the last three seasons.
    Healthy Carter outscores AP every year methinks.
    And Ennis has the upside to do it.

We do a one-year points only league with no positions, and I steer clear of D. A forward always has a better shot of putting up the points.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Seems like I'm deciding between Carter, Teravainen and AP (nobody's made a strong case to protect anyone else). And in the end, I think I'll protect Carter. So my protections will be: Crosby, Malkin, Couture, Voracek, Nyquist, Granlund, Johnson, Carter. This means that the exansion GM is picking from: Ennis, Teravainen, Backes, Pietrangelo, Kesler, Bozak, M. Richards, J. Staal, Alfredsson, Chiasson. And, if I'm in the expansion GM's shoes, I nominate Kesler, Ennis and Bozak. They have the highest potential for gaining value, and the name of the game for this GM should be gaining value.

Under those circumstances, I'd likely give him Ennis; he's a good player, but in BUF as the 2nd center behind Hodgson, he'll probably have to wait a while before he gets a supporting cast to help his point totals rise. Meanwhile, Kesler and Bozak have the potential to immediately improve on their 2013-14 totals this year. If he nominated Teravainen, I'd 100% nominate him ahead of any of the other players mentioned. He's the most unproven and, despite his pedigree, managed to remain a healthy scratch for basically his entire stay in CHI. If he couldn't even manage to unseat HANDZUS, I don't see him making a very strong impression at camp. Frankly, if I'm picking for a prospect to make an impact THIS year, I think Chaisson's still the better bet, even despite a drastically lower career upside.
    The League:
    11-teams, pts-only, no positional restrictions, top 12/20 count.
    1 in-season UFA (24+y/o), 3 round entry draft.
    Unlimited (24+y/o) off-season UFAs after the entry draft.

The Show:
    Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Eberle, Couture, Krejci, Subban, Simmonds, Hedman, Jokinen, Kesler, Barrie, Johansson

The Farm:
    MacKinnon, Toffoli, Bjugstad, Spooner, Zucker, Bjorkstrand, Jaskin

Dobber Sports Guru

With your squad, you're clearly in win-now mode, so I understand the desire to let a great prospect go.
    But if I'm an expansion team, I think I'd nab the Hawk youngster among my trio. Swinging for a home run would be my rationale -- and he's the best shot at a home run.

I understand why you'd let him go as well though.