Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mike Richards will NOT be bought out

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Mike Richards will NOT be bought out

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Sure they are. They think that because they won two cups in the last 3 years that they can just stick with their current roster and everything will work out in the end. You can't just decide that you've found the winning formula and stop changing. The fact that they won each of those times could have been just as much luck as skill. You can't only consider the past when you make decisions for your team. You also have to consider the future and pay attention to the warning signs when they pop up and Mike Richards has warning signs flashing all over. I wouldn't be surprised if we were all criticizing them for not buying him out by the end of next season and I'll guarantee you that in two years he'll be crippling them.
    I don't know, 2 out of 3 years is pretty impressive, personally I think it's good to leave the great mix of youth and experience together. They kept Stevens on, the cap is rising.. Why not? The teams that have not been able to repeat are the ones that had to change because of the cap... At least in my view.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Sure they are. They think that because they won two cups in the last 3 years that they can just stick with their current roster and everything will work out in the end. You can't just decide that you've found the winning formula and stop changing. The fact that they won each of those times could have been just as much luck as skill. You can't only consider the past when you make decisions for your team. You also have to consider the future and pay attention to the warning signs when they pop up and Mike Richards has warning signs flashing all over. I wouldn't be surprised if we were all criticizing them for not buying him out by the end of next season and I'll guarantee you that in two years he'll be crippling them.
    I'm not saying that keeping Richards on the roster is a good move. Prolly a bad move in fact. However, this management team has put together a team that has won the Cup twice in three years. They seem to know what they are doing. If they want to come and manage the Flyers, I'd be all for it. Calling the Kings management stupid is hyperbole at its finest.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The contract is horrible and the Kings know it!! But Mike Richards is a part of that teams core group along with Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Carter, and Quick.. Tough to just buy a guy out like that..

I also believe he could be traded, it will be tough, but it could happen..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sure, his hit is high, but he brings a lot to that team off the ice. His leadership and willingness to play in any role asked is a huge asset. How many former captains are willing to play as a 3rd/4th line guy when they used to be THE guy?

Not saying that his contract doesn't hurt them in a few seasons, but with the youth that the Kings are in the process of developing, Richards will be a huge asset to their core of leadership.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nosoffsn View Post
    How many former captains are willing to play as a 3rd/4th line guy when they used to be THE guy?
    basically every player who goes to the Rangers for their retirement contract

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I'm not saying that keeping Richards on the roster is a good move. Prolly a bad move in fact. However, this management team has put together a team that has won the Cup twice in three years. They seem to know what they are doing. If they want to come and manage the Flyers, I'd be all for it. Calling the Kings management stupid is hyperbole at its finest.
    True, and five years from now with inflation and an increasing cap, Richards' cap hit won't look that bad in his final years.