Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Canadian Teams Make the Playoffs

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default No Canadian Teams Make the Playoffs

Bold........maybe not so much.

The four Canadian teams in the West finished at the bottom of the conference and none of them appear to be on the verge of improving all that much.

Ottawa and Toronto both overachieved two years ago and missed the postseason this year when they came back to reality.

The Habs have been the exception, but after a couple of solid seasons they are due for a decline.

Bold prediction or realistic?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: No Canadian Teams Make the Playoffs

Calgary: No.
    Vancouver: No.
    Winnipeg: No.
    Ottawa: No.
    Edmonton: Highly depended on Scrivens/Fasth. 40%.
    Toronto: July 1st will tell a lot. But still saying 60%.
    Montreal: Will falter a little but I still think make it. 80%
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Veteran

While I am a habs fan, no matter which way I look at it I don't know how they are "due for a decline". They have guys like pacioretty, subban, and price just getting into their primes, and a young squad with the likes of galchenyuk, Gallagher and eller getting better every year.

Your prediction is bold and the others may not make it, but I don't see in any way how the habs don't make it.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    While I am a habs fan, no matter which way I look at it I don't know how they are "due for a decline". They have guys like pacioretty, subban, and price just getting into their primes, and a young squad with the likes of galchenyuk, Gallagher and eller getting better every year.

Your prediction is bold and the others may not make it, but I don't see in any way how the habs don't make it.
    I am NOT a Habs fan, but I can't see where the decline is coming from. If they cut some dead weight this off season (aka Gionta, Bourque), they may even do better than this year.

Very bold prediction indeed, especially given I think Ottawa can play a better game ( like they did two seasons ago), as can the Leafs, and surely the Oiler's young guns can put it together soon. One Canadian team, at least, will make it.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Calgary: No.
    Vancouver: No.
    Winnipeg: Yes.
    Ottawa: No.
    Edmonton: No, unless they make a FA frenzy, which is unlikely.
    Toronto: No, unless Carlyle is out the gate. The team itself is well-rounded. I think head coach and assistants more the main problem.
    Montreal: Yes.

Two out of six.
    Keeper league H2H weekly (12 teams, 22P, 12K)
    9 Skater stats: P, G, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, Shots, Hits, BS -- 4 Goalie stats: W, SO, Save%, GAA%
    C: Dubois, Hischier, Patrick
    W: Rakell, Pastrnak, Ferland, Ho-Sang
    D: Dumba, Klingberg, Rielly, Klefbom
    G: Raanta, Grubauer
    Bench: Hart, C. Anderson, Kinkaid, M. Smith, Werenski, Myers, Zadina, Ferland, Ho-Sang,

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post

While Eller is a non-factor, I think the dumbest thing the Canadiens could do is let go a guy like Plekanec, and that would be the only reason I would see the Habs have a slight chance of missing the playoffs.
    Keeper league H2H weekly (12 teams, 22P, 12K)
    9 Skater stats: P, G, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, Shots, Hits, BS -- 4 Goalie stats: W, SO, Save%, GAA%
    C: Dubois, Hischier, Patrick
    W: Rakell, Pastrnak, Ferland, Ho-Sang
    D: Dumba, Klingberg, Rielly, Klefbom
    G: Raanta, Grubauer
    Bench: Hart, C. Anderson, Kinkaid, M. Smith, Werenski, Myers, Zadina, Ferland, Ho-Sang,

Dobber Sports Giant

habs are in and if edmonton gets some goaltending they could make it too.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Everyone keeps predicting Edmonton will make the jump every year, but I'll believe it when I see it. I get the feeling there might be something off with the group of guys they have that just can't quite get it done.

Sounds like Ottawa may be going through a bit of disfunction this year, and it will be interesting to see where their leadership is going to come from in the future. They have the talent to make it, but I'm not sure they can pull it all together. They have a chance though.

Toronto seems to be in the same boat as Ottawa, with the talent to make the playoffs, but something just isn't right with the current group. I agree with the statement above that July 1st will go a long way to determining where they finish.

I can undertsand the Habs decline. They are only one year removed from being severly outclassed by Ottawa in a first round exit and two years removed from finishing last in the east. Personally, I think they go as Price goes. If he is solid to stellar, they'll make it. But if is mediocre to good, they'll have a hard time getting in.

The others aren't worth discussing in my opinion. Too many holes to fill still.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Montreal's core will keep them in the playoffs.

I like Winnipeg to be the next Canadian team to make it (assuming they can upgrade their goaltending this summer)

Dobber Sports Ninja

I feel pretty confident that Montreal will make the playoffs again, but Ottawa and Toronto are maybes, and everyone else I don't see it happening.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Winnipeg has a better chance of making playoffs that others, solid forward core, solid D and improving. New coach will work at solving goaltending issues.
    Farm system is starting to produce after cup final run in AHL. The cuopboard was bare in Atlanta.
    Biggest challenge is being in the tough Western conference.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Pro

pretty bold predictions, teams could look a lot different after the draft/free agency.

Canucks could easily make the playoffs if they sign a goalie and get a decent coach.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Genius

I can't believe anyone on these boards is giving Edmonton a chance. What have they shown to make anyone, even die hard fans, think there is any hope of the playoffs? They could take a step forward, sure, but come on.

Until we see what happens with trades, signings, etc. it's hard to see any Canadian teams make it next season, aside from Montreal again.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I can't believe anyone on these boards is giving Edmonton a chance. What have they shown to make anyone, even die hard fans, think there is any hope of the playoffs? They could take a step forward, sure, but come on.

Until we see what happens with trades, signings, etc. it's hard to see any Canadian teams make it next season, aside from Montreal again.
    I don't think it's the team's fans who are giving any hope for the Oilers, or at least I hope not. They are a disaster through and through. Hearing a comment like, "if edmonton gets some goaltending they could make it" is very strange to me. Scrivens was the only reason the Oilers even won some games near the end of the season last year, and the tandem of him and Fasth is pretty low of the list of concerns for the team.

Dobber Sports Pro

The oilers are close, they will be another year older. A few key pieces and they will be right there. Nikita on D and maybe a E. Kane or Chris Stewart pick up.
    In two weeks better predictions can be made.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot