Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Computer Tech-Savvy people in here?

Dobber Sports Icon

Question Any Computer Tech-Savvy people in here?

I've searched online to try and resolve this problem I've been having, but haven't had any results, so I thought I would post here...just in case someone knows what this is.

I just got a new wireless card (D-Link DWA-566) for my desktop, and it worked fine for a few days, but for the past two I've been having connection problems.

While surfing, the connection is repeatedly resetting itself, pretty much every minute or two. I can download large files (BitTorrent) without losing the connection, but as soon as the download is finished, the connection starts resetting again. It's not the router - I have a laptop and PS3 running on it and they have no problems at all.

I've tried the following things:

- removed and reinstalled both the software and card
    - updated the drivers
    - disabled the other network connections

Of course its possible that the card is faulty (and I am probably going to exchange it tomorrow), but it could be a simple setting I'm totally missing - I am not completely clueless with the under-the-hood stuff, but nowhere near proficient...any help would be greatly appreciated!
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

Default Re: Any Computer Tech-Savvy people in here?

I can't say for sure and my own experience involves a different product but I had a similar issue with connections dropping out and resetting every once in a while. D-Link router though. I talked to someone who told me that D-Link were known for that kind of faulty crap. After some troubleshooting I bought a new Linksys router and never had a dropped connection since.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

My only suggestion would be go to the 'devices/browsers' under the start-up and see if there is a 'settings' or 'configuration' tab. Other than that, I'm no good.
    @SmittysRant

try Control Panel --> Netwok & Internet --> Network and Sharing

...there's a network settings section there, or at least you can trouble shoot
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

I know I previously had a shit no-name card that gave my internet connection headaches. My father uses it in another computer I think and it works fine, so it was just a compatibility issue between the network card and the motherboard, presumably. Things like that can happen, too.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

AT RISK OF HI-JACKING THIS THREAD (Humble appoligies)...

When PrairieDog gets his answer, I had another quesiton.

My lap top recently died and while I'm not in a hurry to restore or repair it, I do want to try and save the data on it (No need to insert "Why didn't you back up your data" comments as I KNOW...and I DIDN'T and I WILL IN THE FUTURE).

Anyway, I've spoken to reps at Future Shop, Nerds on Site and a local Computer Repair shop.

Just to retrieve Data (with no repairs) appears to cost me between $100 and $150.

Does anyone have any experience here and can suggest the best place to take my system? Just looking to try and retrieve Photos/Videos and Music Files.

Currently the Lap Top will boot up in Safe Mode but when it comes to the Windows Screen, the Icons never appear and it simply stops there displaying the cursor. Either a Toasted Hard Drive or maybe Windows simply needs to be re-installed...in any event...I need a data restore before I'd consider repairing (or I may just replace).

Any insight would be apreciated.

Tks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I've searched online to try and resolve this problem I've been having, but haven't had any results, so I thought I would post here...just in case someone knows what this is.

I just got a new wireless card (D-Link DWA-566) for my desktop, and it worked fine for a few days, but for the past two I've been having connection problems.

While surfing, the connection is repeatedly resetting itself, pretty much every minute or two. I can download large files (BitTorrent) without losing the connection, but as soon as the download is finished, the connection starts resetting again. It's not the router - I have a laptop and PS3 running on it and they have no problems at all.

I've tried the following things:

- removed and reinstalled both the software and card
    - updated the drivers
    - disabled the other network connections

Of course its possible that the card is faulty (and I am probably going to exchange it tomorrow), but it could be a simple setting I'm totally missing - I am not completely clueless with the under-the-hood stuff, but nowhere near proficient...any help would be greatly appreciated!

do you have multiple routers/access points? or are there a lot of routers in your area where you live?

try changing the wifi channel to a different frequency. maybe there's some interference causing you to lose connection.

OR

update the drivers for your wireless card. you should try this first.

if not i guess try exchanging for a different card or router and see if it makes a difference.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

My lap top recently died and while I'm not in a hurry to restore or repair it, I do want to try and save the data on it (No need to insert "Why didn't you back up your data" comments as I KNOW...and I DIDN'T and I WILL IN THE FUTURE).

Anyway, I've spoken to reps at Future Shop, Nerds on Site and a local Computer Repair shop.

Just to retrieve Data (with no repairs) appears to cost me between $100 and $150.

Does anyone have any experience here and can suggest the best place to take my system? Just looking to try and retrieve Photos/Videos and Music Files.

Currently the Lap Top will boot up in Safe Mode but when it comes to the Windows Screen, the Icons never appear and it simply stops there displaying the cursor. Either a Toasted Hard Drive or maybe Windows simply needs to be re-installed...in any event...I need a data restore before I'd consider repairing (or I may just replace).

Tks

you can buy a device that allows you to transfer data directly from your harddrive to another computer. if you are able to take out the harddrive from your laptop, you can connect it to something like below to a desktop and then transfer the files (assuming your harddrive isn't corrupt and is readable):

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...6554&CatId=445

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    you can buy a device that allows you to transfer data directly from your harddrive to another computer. if you are able to take out the harddrive from your laptop, you can connect it to something like below to a desktop and then transfer the files (assuming your harddrive isn't corrupt and is readable):

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...6554&CatId=445
    Thanks Praba! Rep to you for this. Double Rep if it works for me!

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Guru

Tks
    We had a laptop that died on us just after the girls were born. We thought we had lost about eight months worth of baby pictures.

(Note: I'm not computer tech, so this might sound wrong, but I hope I'm making sense).

We ended up buying something for $8 that is similar to praba's link. You take out the hard drive card, and connect it inside a hard plastic box, and voila, all your documents, pictures, movies, etc. are inside this contraption. You can hook it up with a USB cord to a different computer and transfer everything.

The best thing is that you can keep your hard drive part inside the box to have easy access to it whenever you need, and it's pretty durable. I can't remember the name of it right now, but I can look it up when I get home. For $8, it's hard to beat the price. We've had it for three years now, and no issues.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I can't say for sure and my own experience involves a different product but I had a similar issue with connections dropping out and resetting every once in a while. D-Link router though. I talked to someone who told me that D-Link were known for that kind of faulty crap. After some troubleshooting I bought a new Linksys router and never had a dropped connection since.
    This would be my suggestion too. We had issues with our D-Link router (it started cutting in and out after a power outage one day). It may have been a power surge, and the thing was six or seven years old. A new D-Link router solved the problem.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    We had a laptop that died on us just after the girls were born. We thought we had lost about eight months worth of baby pictures.

(Note: I'm not computer tech, so this might sound wrong, but I hope I'm making sense).

We ended up buying something for $8 that is similar to praba's link. You take out the hard drive card, and connect it inside a hard plastic box, and voila, all your documents, pictures, movies, etc. are inside this contraption. You can hook it up with a USB cord to a different computer and transfer everything.

The best thing is that you can keep your hard drive part inside the box to have easy access to it whenever you need, and it's pretty durable. I can't remember the name of it right now, but I can look it up when I get home. For $8, it's hard to beat the price. We've had it for three years now, and no issues.
    Awesome! Thanks Newfcollins!

Dobber Sports Icon

Well I exchanged the D-Link card for an Asus card (same make as my motherboard) and so far its working fine - signal strength isn't that high (50-60%) but I can surf without any disconnects...so far. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks Praba! Rep to you for this. Double Rep if it works for me!

Cheers!
    Easier and cheaper option is to download ubuntu, put it on a usb drive, boot up the laptop from that usb drive and run ubuntu without installing it. You'll be able to access whatever files are on the computer (unless the hard drive is shot) and copy them over to whatever medium you desire. PM me if you want me to help.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

Awesome! Thanks Newfcollins!
    This is the one I have. http://www.inmax.ca/index.php?main_p...p1rt2ao436tbv7

On this site it's $15, but I found it for about $7-$8 at a local computer store.