Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2014 DobberProspects NHL Mock Draft - Discussion

Administrator

Default Re: 2014 DobberProspects NHL Mock Draft - Discussion

I have two teams but can give one to Dobber if he wants. He can have the Blues.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nylander dropping surprised me a little, thinking the Jets would love that!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So I guess I'll do some explaining and discussion on my/the selections...

I'm on board and believe a Leaf deal will get done to move up... so I don't feel they will have the 8th selection... I think they will up the Ante for Florida's selection in which they would use to get a top line C, likely Bennett in my opinion... even with all the blue line names being discussed as a possible bargaining chip for the Leafs I can't see them moving up to get Ekblad as the system is rather deep with D that have rather solid potentials (Finn, Knodel, Percy as more offensive guys and Granberg, MacWilliam, Nilsson as more defensive guys..) They can add D in middle rounds...

I too do not agree with Fleury going so high in this draft... that said... I'm not surprised by the team and discussion could be made about it... I could see a Leaf Calgary link for the Leafs to jump up and take which ever of the 3 big centers is not off the board at #4... Possibly Biggs, Holzer/something else would be involved in the deal and Calgary would bounce down with hopes of landing Fleury...

My pick came down to a few thoughts... #1 being Leafs are looking for a Franchise center piece... Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl and even Dal Colle fit that bill... but they were gone... My next step was to decide if drafting Barbashev, Kamenev, McCann or Larkin was what I could see along side Kessel within 2 years... I don't have that comfort level with any of them, but I feel they have great upside... Nylander was of little interest (*for the Leafs selection*) despite how high I rated him for fantasy purposes, as he is a small winger who needs physical work that could take 2-3 years of development, he has started the road in the Swedish Elite, when he gets to the proper level he should be dynamite!... So I decided big LW was what I identified as the next issue as outside JVR, the left side attack isn't all that imposing & the system has decent smaller 2nd-4th line C's close in development... came down to Ritchie and Perlini... IceWookie mentioned the coasting and lazyness, But I feel that can be addressed in the system to get him on track... but the skating, shot and project-able frame is what I need, he can still add to it where needed... I really like Ritchie and it was a coin toss really, but at like 230lbs already his skating will suffer and its a question of will they have to mold him down rather than build him up... Verghaeghe connection never crossed my mind, but is a nice bonus now that you mentioned it, but I agree not a reason to connect the dots...

I could have played some of my favorites, but choose for needs...

I rated Virtanen high in the prospects report, and I see him as a top line producing winger, but I don't see an X factor to make him top 8 in picking for real world.. in fantasy, I'd say he is one of the most lucrative (with the following 3) after the top 3 centers and Dal Colle...

I love Kasperi Kapanen's high end potential, but I don't see him reaching it quickly (2-5 years)... for that I looked past him...

Ho Sang is another for fantasy purposes, he could be a very strong producer... in everyday NHL life... he doesn't play a complete enough game for me to see him outside a production role thus not worthy of 8th pick... and many have him in the late 30s... personally I feel the Kings, Lightning, Blackhawks, Bruins or even Ducks could swipe him with their late picks in the 1st, and with their surroundings, he will only need to play a 1 sided game and be very nice to own on a fantasy team...

so that's where my mind is at... Franchise C - big wingers with preference to left side - backup or close to, goaltender with potential... are what I feel the Leafs need to address through the draft or trades on draft day...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i think the forum members need to have a mock draft to show these guys how it's done...
    Let's do it. If you can find a couple more people, I say we get one done. Like austeane said, it would be fun to see who was closer in the mock.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Banks View Post

I'm on board and believe a Leaf deal will get done to move up... so I don't feel they will have the 8th selection... I think they will up the Ante for Florida's selection in which they would use to get a top line C, likely Bennett in my opinion... even with all the blue line names being discussed as a possible bargaining chip for the Leafs I can't see them moving up to get Ekblad as the system is rather deep with D that have rather solid potentials (Finn, Knodel, Percy as more offensive guys and Granberg, MacWilliam, Nilsson as more defensive guys..) They can add D in middle rounds...

I too do not agree with Fleury going so high in this draft... that said... I'm not surprised by the team and discussion could be made about it... I could see a Leaf Calgary link for the Leafs to jump up and take which ever of the 3 big centers is not off the board at #4... Possibly Biggs, Holzer/something else would be involved in the deal and Calgary would bounce down with hopes of landing Fleury...

My pick came down to a few thoughts... #1 being Leafs are looking for a Franchise center piece... Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl and even Dal Colle fit that bill... but they were gone... My next step was to decide if drafting Barbashev, Kamenev, McCann or Larkin was what I could see along side Kessel within 2 years... I don't have that comfort level with any of them, but I feel they have great upside... Nylander was of little interest (*for the Leafs selection*) despite how high I rated him for fantasy purposes, as he is a small winger who needs physical work that could take 2-3 years of development, he has started the road in the Swedish Elite, when he gets to the proper level he should be dynamite!... So I decided big LW was what I identified as the next issue as outside JVR, the left side attack isn't all that imposing & the system has decent smaller 2nd-4th line C's close in development... came down to Ritchie and Perlini... IceWookie mentioned the coasting and lazyness, But I feel that can be addressed in the system to get him on track... but the skating, shot and project-able frame is what I need, he can still add to it where needed... I really like Ritchie and it was a coin toss really, but at like 230lbs already his skating will suffer and its a question of will they have to mold him down rather than build him up... Verghaeghe connection never crossed my mind, but is a nice bonus now that you mentioned it, but I agree not a reason to connect the dots...

I could have played some of my favorites, but choose for needs...

I rated Virtanen high in the prospects report, and I see him as a top line producing winger, but I don't see an X factor to make him top 8 in picking for real world.. in fantasy, I'd say he is one of the most lucrative (with the following 3) after the top 3 centers and Dal Colle...

I love Kasperi Kapanen's high end potential, but I don't see him reaching it quickly (2-5 years)... for that I looked past him...

Ho Sang is another for fantasy purposes, he could be a very strong producer... in everyday NHL life... he doesn't play a complete enough game for me to see him outside a production role thus not worthy of 8th pick... and many have him in the late 30s... personally I feel the Kings, Lightning, Blackhawks, Bruins or even Ducks could swipe him with their late picks in the 1st, and with their surroundings, he will only need to play a 1 sided game and be very nice to own on a fantasy team...

so that's where my mind is at... Franchise C - big wingers with preference to left side - backup or close to, goaltender with potential... are what I feel the Leafs need to address through the draft or trades on draft day...
    Nice to see an explanation for the pick. Thanks!

Can't disagree much, your reasoning is solid.

However I've seen this a few times with Ritchie and there is something I'd like to clear up about him. Ritchie is actually a better skater than Perlini at his current weight. Put him on a conditioning assignment and he'll be fine with his weight.

But again, can't disagree too much. Perlini has pretty much been top ten in almost every list even after finishing the year so dissapointingly (this is awful english but it's too early for me to care haha). Just not a fan haha
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hi Guys, i'm Jozsef Kurtosi from Hungary, and covering the New York Rangers on dobberprospects.com. Because the Rangers traded their first round pick this year, i will only pick in the second round. Rangers has very good depth at D prospects (McI, Skjei, Allen, Graves), so we are looking to draft a forward, maybe a goalie, time will tell...

Dobber Sports Guru

Given how rarely the actual draft follows the consensus rankings (i.e. never), it's definitely great to have some slightly off-the-board picks in this mock. Good job guys.

... but if the Flames pick Fleury - at any position - I will ****ing flip.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Banks View Post
    Excellent analysis on various prospects and the rationale for your pick - greatly appreciated!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    Given how rarely the actual draft follows the consensus rankings (i.e. never), it's definitely great to have some slightly off-the-board picks in this mock. Good job guys.
    Agreed. I remember two years ago most didnt have Hampus Lindholm anywhere near the top 5 (he went 6th) except for Craig Button (who if I remember correctly had him at 9). You just dont know whats going to happen so when people think Fleury at 4 is a reach, you just never know.....
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Agreed. I remember two years ago most didnt have Hampus Lindholm anywhere near the top 5 (he went 6th) except for Craig Button (who if I remember correctly had him at 9). You just dont know whats going to happen so when people think Fleury at 4 is a reach, you just never know.....
    Yep, I agree, too. I know the Jets have gone off the board in the first round and later (Scheifele and Morrissey, most notably) in the past. It just takes one scouting staff to see something in a player that perhaps others don't, and they just have to have him, whatever their draft position.

For the record, I think Perlini is excellent, and I'd be perfectly fine if he ended up drafted by the Jets at 9th overall.

Dobber Sports Ace

As commissioner of this mock draft, I have forced Evan Collotti to sell his team. While the reasons will absolutely not be accidentally leaked to TMZ, it may have something to do with the heinous crime of doing another, paying job and maybe, scandal alert, watching the World Cup!

The highest bidder, through a fair and open bidding process, with no collusion, is Darryl Dobbs. Congratulations Dobber, you are on the clock.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Sophomore

My picks (Winnipeg Jets selecting William Nylander at 9 and Anaheim Ducks selecting Kasperi Kapanen at 10) were pretty easy for me.

Nylander will be a dynamic force surrounded by a core of Schiefele, Petan, Kane, Wheeler and they don't have much wing depth as it stands now (Lowry, Kosmachuk, Blomqvist; Telegin fled to the KHL)

Kapanen joins a crowded prospect system, but will be allowed to grow in Finland for a bit before making the cross over. His game-breaking ability will be welcomed on a team that has drafted the likes of Kariya, Getzlaf, Ryan, and Perry.

Both players are the most talented Europeans in the draft and if both are available at these spots, Winnipeg and Anaheim will have a hard time going against these picks.
    Senior Writer @DobberProspects - Ducks/Jets
    Composer/Musician @Resonaga
    --
    HTN 14-Team Roto Keeper (Cap+20M):
    FS Storm: 24-man, (G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, STPGWG, Hit, Blk, Tk/Gv, ShG, W, GAA, SV, SO) 8F/4D/1U/1G, 23 farm
    F: Stamkos, E.Kane, P. Kane, Oshie, Okposo, Vanek, Cammalleri, Ladd, Nielsen, Smith-Pelly
    D: Hedman, Trouba, Josi, R. Murray, J. Schultz, Stone
    G: Price, Lehtonen, Fasth
    --
    Twitter:@flamestalker
    www.kevinwonmusic.com

Dobber Sports Ace

Dobber's selection statement blows everyone else's out of the water!
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Who's credibility are you referring to?

As far as Fleury going that early, I agree it's probably a surprise but as far as the Flames looking for a high end Dman, I dont find this a surprise at all. They really don't need another center as much as they need a high end D and Fleury fits that description.

I agree with Praba though, it wouldnt surprise me to see the Flames consider a trade if they really want Fleury.

In real life, I doubt he gets past Carolina but thats just my opinion.
    Fleury to Calgary wouldn't be that different than the Isles taking Reinhart at 4 right?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Dobber's selection statement blows everyone else's out of the water!
    Kiss ass Austin