Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2014 DobberProspects NHL Mock Draft - Discussion

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: 2014 DobberProspects NHL Mock Draft - Discussion

The only credibility you had was lost with the Bud with Lime comment.

Dobber Sports Stud

I like the Fleury pick actually. He has speed, size and skill too. Withouth Ekblad many would consider him to be the best defenseman in the draft yes ?

Could Calgary trade down and pick him up ? Maybe, probably, possibibly so in essence the Flames could pick up another asset, drop down and grab Fleury anyway. Sounds like a solid draft so far for them.

I tend to believe that an NHL team can never have enough defensemen, so with Ekblad off the boards and Fleury being the consensus 2nd guy it COULD happen.

Hopefully Calgary does things the right way and works their way back into playoff consideration in a year or four. Picking up a kid with top 4 pairing minutes on the backline is a good way to start.

Its not like they are in a rush to compete overnight anyway. It will take a few seasons for HF to punch his ticket for the show barring any major setbacks.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    There is absolutely no reason to be rude. None whatsoever. It's a mock draft.
    Hardly rude. The Flames would not leave Bennett or MDC on the board. Wilson has since said he assumes they would trade down but how is anyone supposed to have known that? It is well documented that this draft is very weak for D and wasting the 4th overall on Fleury just wouldn't happen

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Hardly rude. The Flames would not leave Bennett or MDC on the board. Wilson has since said he assumes they would trade down but how is anyone supposed to have known that? It is well documented that this draft is very weak for D and wasting the 4th overall on Fleury just wouldn't happen

How exactly do you know this? Who's to say they don't take him? Until the actual draft comes and goes, we wont know. Would it be a surprise pick? To many, probably so. Realistically, do the Flames need a quality D more then they need another center (such as Bennett), you bet they do. I dont think his mock pick is a weird as you make it out to be but who are we, other then arm chair quarterbacks?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How exactly do you know this? Who's to say they don't take him? Until the actual draft comes and goes, we wont know. Would it be a surprise pick? To many, probably so. Realistically, do the Flames need a quality D more then they need another center (such as Bennett), you bet they do. I dont think his mock pick is a weird as you make it out to be but who are we, other then arm chair GM quarterbacks?

The ole double quote rebuttal. If that don't beat all!

Dobber Sports Deity

LOL! Damn work network is crappy. It must have doubled it up on me. I will take care of it.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

So, I'm predicting the Leafs take Ritchie.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    So, I'm predicting the Leafs take Ritchie.
    In our mock draft or in real life?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Interested to see who the Leafs take in both the mock and real life. Some good pieces will be available.

Of course this poor Leaf fan is still holding out hope that they make a move for #1 and grab Ekblad
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    The first surprise pick of the draft, from the Oilers! Surprise, surprise.

Steve Laidlaw took Draisaitl instead of Bennett!
    I don't consider Draisaitl a surprise at #3 at all. Hell, he could end up going #1.

Fleury to the Flames at #4 would be a bit of a reach but there aren't many high-end D this year.Stranger things have happened (ahem, Hickey). The top 5-6 appear to be a consensus but it's fairly wide open after that.

Enjoy the mock gentlemen. Don't be too hard on the scouts.

Oh and by the way, I'm representing the team I hate the most - the Boston Bruins. I guess loyalty to the DH doesn't go too far around here

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How exactly do you know this? Who's to say they don't take him? Until the actual draft comes and goes, we wont know. Would it be a surprise pick? To many, probably so. Realistically, do the Flames need a quality D more then they need another center (such as Bennett), you bet they do. I dont think his mock pick is a weird as you make it out to be but who are we, other then arm chair quarterbacks?
    I'm saying that the Flames would not waste the 4th pick on Fleury. They may trade down though - anything is possible.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Interesting draft.
    Thanks for doing this... though I enjoyed it in the past when each person would show up, make their pick, and justify it while making it.
    That was super value. (I think Big Ev did it last year - it was very, very good thread).

As for Fleury... recall that Seth Jones was being touted around #1 skater last year.
    But he was drafted at #4.

I think most NHL teams have realized that there is a safer likelihood that a forward will meet his ceiling... then a defenseman.
    (And both being surer bets than a goalie).

If Seth Jones can drop to #4... then I think Fleury is more likely a #10-#12 pick.
    Reaching in an entry draft for a defenseman doesn't fit with modern scouting/drafting practice.
    I think most would agree with that (with exception to the forward-starved 2012 entry draft).

Dobber Sports Deity

Man I really thought Perlini might drop to me (Capitals) at 13.

Banned

Man this draft stinks. Not the mock I mean the actual draft. No wonder everyone wants to deal their pick.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Interesting draft.
    Thanks for doing this... though I enjoyed it in the past when each person would show up, make their pick, and justify it while making it.
    That was super value. (I think Big Ev did it last year - it was very, very good thread).

As for Fleury... recall that Seth Jones was being touted around #1 skater last year.
    But he was drafted at #4.

I think most NHL teams have realized that there is a safer likelihood that a forward will meet his ceiling... then a defenseman.
    (And both being surer bets than a goalie).

If Seth Jones can drop to #4... then I think Fleury is more likely a #10-#12 pick.
    Reaching in an entry draft for a defenseman doesn't fit with modern scouting/drafting practice.
    I think most would agree with that (with exception to the forward-starved 2012 entry draft).
    Agreed with the defence bit, but I maintain that we should expect the unexpected.

As far as justifying it, we are going a step further! We are writing a good paragraph on each pick, which will be posted on DobberProspects after the mock.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks