Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goalie supply > demand

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Question Goalie supply > demand

I feel like there's gonna be a whole lot of unemployed goalies this fall... and they're probably crossing their fingers for NHL expansion. But seriously, where are these guys gonna go? Europe? Early retirement?

The way I see it there are 8 goalies who see themselves as #1s and who are available or are rumoured to become available: Miller, Hiller, Ward, Niemi, Brodeur, Nabokov, Thomas, Reimer.

But what teams need need #1 goalies?

Teams that already have a clear #1: BOS, CHI, COL, CBJ, DAL, DET, FLA, LAK, MON, NAS, NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI, PHX, PIT, TAM, TOR
    Teams that are set with decent goalie tandems: ANA, EDM, OTT, STL, VAN
    Teams that are probably ok to go with minor league goalies for a while: CAL, BUF

That leaves 5 teams.
    - Washington - probably doesn't want to throw away holtby / grubauer but might look for a veteran like thomas or brodeur to tutor them
    - Minnesota - probably getting sick of always having their goalies injured or sick, but Kuemper looks to be their future #1 so again they probably just want a veteran to guide him
    - San Jose - if they move Niemi they'll need a goalie, but I think in that case they'd resign Stalock and look for someone to tandem with him
    - Carolina - " " " Ward " " " ", " " " " " retain Khudobin " " " " " " " "
    - Winnipeg - Probably ready to move on from Pavelec, and i doubt they see montoya as the future in net.

The Jets are maybe the only team with a clear need for a #1 goalie.

Will Ryan Miller be forced to sign with Winnipeg because nobody else makes him an offer?
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Goalie supply > demand

this has been an issue for free agents for a while now. the smart ones (or the ones with smart agents) will get and accept an offer even if its below the dollars they may have been expecting.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

For what it's worth I'll say Thomas to washington, brodeur to retirement, nabokov to europe, hiller to europe, niemi to europe, reimer to winnipeg, miller to minnesota, ward to san jose.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Monster

No, I don't see Miller being forced to go to somewhere he doesn't want to go. He is a star goalie; any number of the locations with "secure" goalie situations will at least look at him as an upgrade, and trade away one of their goalies. For example, Washington could choose to go with Miller-Holtby to buy more time for Holtby to be ready and trade away or demote Grubauer.

Furthermore, the guys who don't get a job right away will be there to scoop up in case of an injury or poor performance (as was the case with Bryz going to Edmonton).

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Administrator

This supply vs demand problem happens every summer. There's always guys that end up getting the short end of the stick.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Canucks need to sign a goalie, there is no way they can roll with Markstrom/Lack.........not a chance Linden allows this to happen.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think the Canucks are in a great position. They can sit tight, wait for the dust to settle and lowball Reimer or whoever is sitting at home in late July. For the reasons you pointed out, there is too much supply, and the Canucks can at least feasibly pretend they are set with Lack/Markstrom.

And honestly I don't even know if it would be terrible to have Lack/Markstrom/Eriksson battle it out for starts. The Canucks shouldn't have delusions of a cup this year, especially given that Kesler is likely gone. Giving each of their three Swedes an extended look might be better in the long run.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    No, I don't see Miller being forced to go to somewhere he doesn't want to go. He is a star goalie; any number of the locations with "secure" goalie situations will at least look at him as an upgrade, and trade away one of their goalies. For example, Washington could choose to go with Miller-Holtby to buy more time for Holtby to be ready and trade away or demote Grubauer.

Furthermore, the guys who don't get a job right away will be there to scoop up in case of an injury or poor performance (as was the case with Bryz going to Edmonton).
    Didn't think Miller wanted to goto wash. So haven't you just created a scenario where he does I fact have to go to a city hate not tops on his list?

I thought miller was a Cali or bust kinda guy due In part to personal ties? If so...where in Cali will he land that actually needs to over pay for him? San J? Ana? kings?

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    I think the Canucks are in a great position. They can sit tight, wait for the dust to settle and lowball Reimer or whoever is sitting at home in late July. For the reasons you pointed out, there is too much supply, and the Canucks can at least feasibly pretend they are set with Lack/Markstrom.

And honestly I don't even know if it would be terrible to have Lack/Markstrom/Eriksson battle it out for starts. The Canucks shouldn't have delusions of a cup this year, especially given that Kesler is likely gone. Giving each of their three Swedes an extended look might be better in the long run.
    I agree with this completely. I'd be super happy if they waited quite awhile to sign any of the available goalies -- Reimer would be ideal, but Hiller could sit around awhile too.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Banned

Both Lack and Markstrom have one-way contracts. Only way they sign a goalie is if they trade one.

The Great One

Having a one way contract doesn't neccessarily mean they have to trade one as they could still demote them will just mean they are paying them a lot of money to ride on busses or they get claimed when they go through waivers (or even re entry and nucks only have to pay half the salary).

For me Nabokov is finished in the NHL and right now I think Brodeur is too.

ward will get one more chance in Carolina due to the coaching change and I think Reimer is also stuck in much the same way Lou was in vancouver and until his asking price is lower (read: he's given away) there isn't much of a market for him based on who is in FA.

Niemi won't move unless the sharks start moving Thornton etc (not a given in my eyes) as he has won a cup and wasn't the only reason the sharks lost but can see him getting a reduced workload (50-30 maybe).

There's no way thomas lands in Washington but stranger things have happened and is the one I do have reservations about

I see miller in Anaheim as they have the cap space and will sweat him a little as it allows Gibson a year as no 1 in the A and Andersson is groomed some more or ultimately traded like Fasth was.

Hillier will be in vancouver as it is the type of team that may get the best out of him.

personally, and despite the cap increasing, I think GMs know they hold all the cards but it's a case of who blinks first regards who signs where but also don't forget FA actually hasn't started yet!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Both Lack and Markstrom have one-way contracts. Only way they sign a goalie is if they trade one.
    Good point. However if the new GM thinks either of those guys suck he can probably sell the big cap hit in the AHL to ownership by saying 'it wasn't my fault you ended up with this guys'

Banned

it's not about paying markstrom to play in the minors, it's about losing him inthe waiver process... which they absolutely would. if the canucks sign another goalie, they HAVE to trade one of them.

The Great One

And where would he go?! Markstrom is on the scrap heap already in the eyes of some GMs (not being able to beat Clemmensen for a starting job will do that) and though he may have someone take a chance on him through waivers his trade value is almost 0... Vancouver have already made the mistake of asking too much for a goalie and it back firing they won't do it again... Will they?

Dobber Sports Titan

I thought I read somewhere Jets said Pavelec will be their goalie of the future. This doesn’t mean come October/December he’s still the goalie, but if I did read that article correctly Jets don’t think they need a #1 goalie. I personally think they need one, but they don’t think they do. His contract is 3.9mill per yr till 2017 which isn’t bad, but he signed it for 2012-2013 season, depending when he signed the contract he could be bought out without penalty?

As for one-way contracts, can’t Vancouver put a goalie in the AHL before a certain date without going through waivers? It’s not like either Vancouver goalies have no movement clauses. But if they call a goalie up mid-season, they would have to send him through waivers when they send him back down? It’s also not like they can’t just healthy scratch one of the goalies all season. It’s not like Vancouver can’t afford Makstrom’s 1.2mill cap hit for 1 more season.

Also aren’t one-way contracts more of a payment thing, not waivers? Two-way contract means they get paid based on what league theyre in. If they play in the AHL its $65k, but if they are in the NHL it’s $1.2mill kinda thing? But a one-way means they get paid 1.2mill in the AHL and NHL.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll