Thread: Discussion Thread to "Post Your League's 2014 Fantasy NHL Entry Draft"

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Discussion Thread to "Post Your League's 2014 Fantasy NHL Entry Draft"

I thought it would be a good idea to have a companion thread to pengwin's 2014 Fantasy Entry Draft thread. Since the purpose of that thread is just to post your draft, and I know a lot of us like discussing the draft, discuss here instead.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Discussion Thread to "Post Your League's 2014 Fantasy NHL Entry Draft"

Excellent companion thread.

The most critical thing for people to keep in mind is "categories".
    Categories in different leagues will be... different.
    So - every draft will have different weighting based on different league categories - and context in discussion of entry draft prospects is critical.
    In my league's draft (League Post #1) in that thread, we include HIT/BLOCK/FOW.
    The FOW aspect puts a greater weight on players that might take some faceoffs.
    And with the HIT/BLOCK aspect, it means that a lot of the league teams use their D slots for defensemen that HIT/BLOCK.

I remember selecting Ryan Murphy in this league a couple years ago based on the overwhelming support from this community.
    Well... Murphy might still be a 40pt defenseman someday, but he ain't going to HIT or BLOCK much... and I think he was a poor 1st round pick.

Ekblad slipped to #8 overall in our pool, which isn't that surprising.
    I took Ekblad... I had to because I grew up playing defense at that same Belle River rink that Ekblad grew up playing at.
    But... I'm really not expecting any fantasy-relevance from Ekblad for maybe three-four years.
    Defensemen... especially the BIG ones... can take a long time to develop and may simply not be worth it.
    (Nik Ehlers was on the board, and my head wanted Ehlers... but I went with my heart and took Ekblad.)

This will be our league's 6th season, and here is a review of some past 1st round entry draft Defenseman picks:
    2009 (2nd overall): Victor Hedman. Well, Hedman wasn't really a fantasy giant until THIS past season... his 5th in the NHL. [Somebody could have picked: Evander Kane (4th), B.Schenn(7th)]
    2009 (9th overall): Ryan Ellis. Ellis still isn't fantasy relevant, and even when he is... he's not getting PIM/HIT/BLK - where other defensemen might be.
    2009 (10th overall): Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Probably one of the few defensemen to pan out.
    2009 (11th overall): Dmitry Kulikov. He's had flashes, but still mostly a bust in fantasy leagues.

2010 (3rd overall): Cam Fowler. Puts up some points, but not much peripherals AND poor +/- mostly. [Somebody could have picked: R.Johansen(11th), Skinner(12th)]
    2010 (7th overall): Derek Forbort. BUST.

2011 (6th overall): Adam Larsson. If there's one D-man that has scared all us fantasy GMs from drafting a D-man early... it's this guy. [Somebody could have picked: Baertschi(10th)]
    2011 (7th overall): Ryan Murphy. I made this pick - and even if he starts putting up points, he's not helping me in HIT/BLOCK/PIM/+-

2012 (6th overall): Matthew Dumba. TBD... but seems still quite aways from fantasy relevance.
    2012 (7th overall): Ryan Murray

2013 (5th overall): Seth Jones. I thought this was a pretty fair slot for S.Jones.

Anyways, that's a review of the last five years (previous to this one) of D-men drafted first round in entry draft.
    Very hit & miss.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Discussion Thread to "Post Your League's 2014 Fantasy NHL Entry Draft"

Ekblad at 8 is hard to pass up. He's got potential to be a serious all around multi cat player. Butttt like you said, dman have been hit or miss in your league. That's a hard choice at 8. With that kind of history in your league, I'd almost want Ehlers/Ritchie over Ekblad. Ritchie has serious shot, PIM and hit potential with his already pretty good offensive potential. Ehlers has high offensive potential, and speculation is that he'll move to center in Halifax next season with the departure of Drouin (although I suspect you didn't know this). But it's hard to pass up Ekblad that late.

I find your format very interesting with the draft taking place so long BEFORE the draft.

Couple other notes.

Fabbri went pretty high. It would be interesting to know why. I love Milano that high. Might be a little underwhelming in this format though.

I like seeing Demko that early.

Smith is real high, but I understand why. The risk is well worth the reward.
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yes, one GM really "reached" for Virtanen & Fabbri... but he obviously sees something he likes.
    This allowed a few other players to drop a bit farther.

re: Ritchie, yes - could be an absolute beast in our gritty mult-cat format... but people also had high hopes in past drafts for Tom Wilson & Tyler Biggs - and they ain't showing any offensive numbers.
    I actually expected Ekblad to be gone at #8 and was going to take Ritchie because I also own his brother in this league.

re: Demko.
    Goalies, too, seem to take quite a while to surface. I'd say the average goalie these days is looking at 3-4 years before they even sniff a #1 job.
    It's a long time to hold a player... but in this league we have a 25 player PRO team + 25 player AHL team + 10 player junior team (last two drafts)... so it is much easier to hold a guy.
    Goalies and centers are also VERY difficult to acquire in this league - so they are worth reaching for.

I took Smith - and to be honest, my "prospect" knowledge is not really that good.
    And, I do play fantasy for "fun", so my draft picks are made with my heart a lot of times.
    Smith is a Windsor boy... which is where I grew up (junior hockey in Belle River, Ontario, high school in Tecumseh, but Windsor is our general mecca).
    I like owning Windsor boys... so I reached for him.

It felt like the entry draft was really thinning out in the 3rd round (and it seems like that every year)... so it doesn't bother me to reach for somebody who I'll enjoy following.
    Definitely a reach though.

Dobber Sports Deity

I was happy with my draft results as well. It's never easy drafting for your league prior the actual NHL draft.

My results (rnd.overall pick):

2.14 - Brendan Perlini
    3.31 - Haydn Fleury
    4.42 - Travis Sanheim
    5.51 - Brett Pollock
    5.60 - Chase De Leo

My last pick with De Leo was probably a bit of a reach. I was looking for an offensive upside type player to take a chance on. He seemed like a good choice with the last pick in the draft.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Yes, one GM really "reached" for Virtanen & Fabbri... but he obviously sees something he likes.
    This allowed a few other players to drop a bit farther.

re: Ritchie, yes - could be an absolute beast in our gritty mult-cat format... but people also had high hopes in past drafts for Tom Wilson & Tyler Biggs - and they ain't showing any offensive numbers.
    I actually expected Ekblad to be gone at #8 and was going to take Ritchie because I also own his brother in this league.

re: Demko.
    Goalies, too, seem to take quite a while to surface. I'd say the average goalie these days is looking at 3-4 years before they even sniff a #1 job.
    It's a long time to hold a player... but in this league we have a 25 player PRO team + 25 player AHL team + 10 player junior team (last two drafts)... so it is much easier to hold a guy.
    Goalies and centers are also VERY difficult to acquire in this league - so they are worth reaching for.

I took Smith - and to be honest, my "prospect" knowledge is not really that good.
    And, I do play fantasy for "fun", so my draft picks are made with my heart a lot of times.
    Smith is a Windsor boy... which is where I grew up (junior hockey in Belle River, Ontario, high school in Tecumseh, but Windsor is our general mecca).
    I like owning Windsor boys... so I reached for him.

It felt like the entry draft was really thinning out in the 3rd round (and it seems like that every year)... so it doesn't bother me to reach for somebody who I'll enjoy following.
    Definitely a reach though.
    I don't actually think Virtanen is much of a reach. Only Ehlers scored more than him out of CHL draft eligible players, and he's a guy who will get hits too. I think people might be surprised to see him go in the top 8.

As a quick rant/aside, I keep seeing Biggs and Wilson referenced when people talk about Ritchie and it bugs me. Ritchie is far more offensively adept than either of them. I mean he outscored Wilson in their respective 3rd OHL seasons, and Biggs didn't even hit a PPG in his draft plus two season with Oshawa. And Ritchie was basically the only real offensive threat in Peteborough, where Wilson and Biggs were far more periphery threats.

Demko, agreed. Goalies always take a while, and while I tend to be one of those guys who prefers to go after established goalies, some are worth picking. I firmly believe Demko is one of them. Especially if they are difficult to acquire in a league.

And fair enough on Smith haha. I tend to try and not let my heart come into things when I play fantasy. I'm too competitive haha.

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I was happy with my draft results as well. It's never easy drafting for your league prior the actual NHL draft.

My results (rnd.overall pick):

2.14 - Brendan Perlini
    3.31 - Haydn Fleury
    4.42 - Travis Sanheim
    5.51 - Brett Pollock
    5.60 - Chase De Leo

My last pick with De Leo was probably a bit of a reach. I was looking for an offensive upside type player to take a chance on. He seemed like a good choice with the last pick in the draft.
    That's pretty solid. De Leo is a nice risk pick. Portland has done a very good job at developing undersized scorers, and De Leo looks like the next one.

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I don't actually think Virtanen is much of a reach. Only Ehlers scored more than him out of CHL draft eligible players, and he's a guy who will get hits too. I think people might be surprised to see him go in the top 8.

As a quick rant/aside, I keep seeing Biggs and Wilson referenced when people talk about Ritchie and it bugs me. Ritchie is far more offensively adept than either of them. I mean he outscored Wilson in their respective 3rd OHL seasons, and Biggs didn't even hit a PPG in his draft plus two season with Oshawa. And Ritchie was basically the only real offensive threat in Peteborough, where Wilson and Biggs were far more periphery threats.

Demko, agreed. Goalies always take a while, and while I tend to be one of those guys who prefers to go after established goalies, some are worth picking. I firmly believe Demko is one of them. Especially if they are difficult to acquire in a league.
    I love this post as a whole.

RE Virtanen: He has a ton of offensive upside, is a physical beast and should be a great multi-cat player. Only down side is a very low hockey IQ. He holds the puck too long, doesn't always end up in the right spots and sometimes just doesn't pass at all. Sounds to me like he's a tough guy to play with (much like Rick Nash) but if he could get the right chemistry in the NHL I think he could explode.

RE Ritchie/Biggs/Wilson: Wilson had 27 points in his draft year, Biggs was 5th in the USNTDP U'18's scoring. Too many teams are looking for the "next Lucic" and they think any guy who can chip in a few goals and fight has that potential. Neither of those guys touch Ritchie in offensive potential and he's an absolute force. If you want to see players with comparable size and numbers in their draft year, look at Nash and Horton.

RE Demko: So tough to wait on these guys. It's even tougher when they're still playing in the CHL, i find that very tough to evaluate. At least college is easier to see progress in as they're playing with older players. Demko, I agree, is worth owning. But you won't catch me waiting on Mason McDonald or Nedeljovic or guys like that. I unfortunately wait for goalies to develop then I overpay for them

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was hoping there'd be some more posted. I have the 1st overall pick in two of my entry drafts, and I am torn on who to take. The conventional pick seems to be Reinhart, but the more I read on Bennett, the more and more I like him. However, part of me also wonders if Draisaitl or Dal Colle might be better options, at least in the fantasy realm.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just posted my leagues results. It's a dynasty league and team and settings are in Sig. We just finished prospect draft and 1 round waiver draft. I'm the Legs team. Thoughts on the draft are always welcomed. Feel I did well with trades and overall draft. Thanks for input in advance fellas!

GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Barkov, Malkin, Nielsen, Zibanejad
    LW: Lucic, Benn, Tatar, Fleischmann
    RW: Johansen, Tarasenko, Downie, Perron
    D: Doughty, Chara, Yandle, Edler, Seidenberg, Brodin, Wideman, Kulikov, Robidas
    G: Niemi, Nabokov, Mason, Emery, Reimer

Farm: Lazar, Nieto, Pulkkinen, Compher, Fiala, Vrana, Barber, Pastrnak, Larkin, McCann, Rattie, Rakell, Salomaki, Connelly, Keranen, Clendening, Borowiecki, Matheson, de Haan, Carrick, Gillies, Nilsson-KHL, Dansk, Stalock

Picks Owned:
    2015: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCity14 View Post
    Just posted my leagues results. It's a dynasty league and team and settings are in Sig. We just finished prospect draft and 1 round waiver draft. I'm the Legs team. Thoughts on the draft are always welcomed. Feel I did well with trades and overall draft. Thanks for input in advance fellas!

Round 1

1. Pittsburgh Hornets (from Charlestown Chiefs) - Samuel Bennett - C (Cgy)
    2. Pittsburgh Hornets - Nikolaj Ehlers - LW (Wpg)
    3. Bardown Bandits - Sam Reinhart - C (Buf)
    4. Springfield Isotopes (from Legs) - Leon Draisaitl - C (Edm)
    5. Springfield Isotopes - (from Milwaukee Beers) - Michael Dal Colle - C (NYI)
    6. Springfield Isotopes (from Philadelphia Crunch) - Aaron Ekblad - D (Fla)
    7. The Forsworn (from Ajax Knights) - Nicholas Ritchie - LW (Anh)
    8. Pens67 - William Nylander - C/RW (Tor)
    9. Whitby Wildcats (from Shelbyville Visitors) - Jake Virtanen - RW (Van)
    10. *** Assassins (from Springfield Isotopes) - No Pick ***
    11. Milwaukee Beers (from Mississauga Moose) - Josh Ho-Sang - C/RW (NYI)
    12. Whitby Wildcats - Brenden Perlini - LW (Ari)
    13. The Forsworn - Kasperi Kapanen - RW (Pit)
    14. Mississauga Moose (from Oshawa Rush) - Nick Schmaltz - C (Chi)

My surprise picks from your league. Ehlers at 2. I love Ehlers but second overall is a bit earlier than I would have taken him. I am also surprised to see Ho-Sang go as early as he did. Big reach there especially with Kapanen still on the board.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I posted mine a while back, and might post another one when it's over. I'm sure someone else will rush to post the UHL draft before I even get to it :P Should note I'm the poor guy with the lone 3rd Duclair pick. One guy had like 20 picks, so it's safe to say his cupboards are stacked now.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Just posted our first four rounds in the other thread.

Made my picks via cel in the woods on vacation...still pretty happy with the results:

1.04 Dal Colle (considered Nylander and Ehlers but I own Tavares so...)
    2.14 Honka (wanted a D-man, DeAngelo was available but I am very intrigued by the potential of Honka running the Dallas PP in a few years)
    3.24 Brandon Perlini (having done more research after the fact, and after checking out the other posted drafts, snagging Perlini at 24 could be a steal)
    4.34 Brandon Halverson (wanted to take 1 or 2 goalies in this draft and Demko, MacDonald, Nedeljkovic and Husso were gone already)
    4.39 Igor Shesterkin (since we allow 50 farm players per team in this league, no harm in stocking up on wild card goalie prospects. Red Line Report had Shesterkin as most underrated player in the draft, plus I was able to hedge my Halverson pick)
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk