Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eberle trade ... Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Eberle trade ... Thoughts?

I just pulled off a trade in my salary-cap (actual salary) dynasty keeper (standard multi-cat + Hits, Blks, FW). 12 teams, very large rosters (25 NHL, 25 AHL, 10juniors) so depth is important. I am currently in the middle of a rebuild, trying to position myself for McDavid+Eichel in next year's draft, and I'm pretty much the worst team in the league right now. I've got some great youngsters though, with a core of: Mackinnon, RNH, E. Lindholm, Huberdeau, Nichushkin, etc.

I wanted to get the community's read on a trade I just pulled off: I sent Jordan Eberle <--> I received Chris Kreider, Beau Bennett, 2015 4th round pick (should be around 40-ish overall). I'm thrilled to get Kreider as someone I believe is a future multi-cat stud, and Beau Bennett + 4th is a very nice addition, giving me another asset that could become something on Crosby/Malkin's RW.

It sucks to lose Eberle, but Kreider should provide a better spread across categories. Did I get enough in return for a guy with legit PPG upside?
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Default Re: Eberle trade ... Thoughts?

if he is contending and looking for the final piece you could have got more IMHO

Dobber Sports Padawan

I believe you could've maybeeee gotten more, but still a good trade. I think Kreider has shown he will be a solid nhler and Bennett has an opportunity to put up points if he can stay healthy. So not bad. RNH would've been nicer as he's a big question mark, but you did just fine.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    I believe you could've maybeeee gotten more, but still a good trade. I think Kreider has shown he will be a solid nhler and Bennett has an opportunity to put up points if he can stay healthy. So not bad. RNH would've been nicer as he's a big question mark, but you did just fine.
    Given the FW category, Centers carry a whole lot more value than wingers in this format. Guys like Eberle are nice for the points, but unless he scores 75+ points Kreider has more overall-value to my club in the long-term IMO. Bennett is a nice addition for me if he can put something together, but he was really just the gravy here. Kreider is a full-course meal in this format.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

lol then why ask

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo2 View Post
    lol then why ask
    Because I have no idea whether my expectations are realistic. That's the question that's answered with some help from you guys.

The Great One

for me I think you could have got more as Bennett hasn't shown he will be a consistent threat yet and 40th pick will be a crap shot

Dobber Sports Veteran

I generally like your trades mounD. But not this one... We always keep thinking Edm could take off, but actually I just do not believe in kreider to be consistent. It could turn out good, but my bet will be on Eberle.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like it well enough - the key here is that Kreider's value is looking to be equivalent to Eberle's when you consider the categories in your league. Then to get a goalscoring first rounder in Bennett gives you the asset that could easily be the deal stealer. A pick to boot? You did alright. My hunch is that in a year you would not be able to get this deal done, because it will be an overpay by him.

I think fantasy hockey GM's slobber too much over ppg players and fail to evaluate player assets on their true value. To say you could have got more is silly business when we don't play in that league and know the GM's and the culture of the league.

The Great One

Fair comment re the culture of the league but you will always have that one GM who will.... As of right now I don't see much appeal in Bennett and as stated the 40th pick is meh so when you consider Kreisler carries the majority of the value coming back I would have kept eberle

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo2 View Post
    Fair comment re the culture of the league but you will always have that one GM who will.... As of right now I don't see much appeal in Bennett and as stated the 40th pick is meh so when you consider Kreisler carries the majority of the value coming back I would have kept eberle
    Fair criticism, to be sure. But in a league with 12-teams, 60 players owned each team = 720 players owned, Beau Bennett has the potential to be a very solid asset. He may not be a sexy fantasy guy at this point, but there's a lot of upside there. I guess I let the Kreider hype-machine convince me on this one ... and a FHG analysis.

Dobber Sports Stud

I probably wouldn't have made the deal.

Yes Kreider should develop into something special for NY and Bennett should at least be given a sporting chance to ride shotgun with a top 10 fantasy center in Pitt. The pick is gravy and thus is only worth something in 3-5 years after the player in question develops.

Eberle on the other hand is a top 6 guy on an emerging team. He should put up some serious points over the length of his career. I tend to favor quality over quantity because I have faith in my drafting style. So on the face of it its Eberle for Kreider. I would have gotten more or moved on to something more tangible.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like this trade for you. I owned Eberle for a while in my multi-cat league before getting fed up with him and traded him. He is really only a point guy, does't shoot that much and nothing in the other cats. I now own Kreider and if the Eberle owner came to me asking for a trade 1-for-1 I would reject. So to get Bennett and a pick to add to your depth and makes this a good trade.

Dobber Sports Monster

MounD,

I think you got a nice haul in return. Kreider will be / is underrated in your format. He's very valuable in this setup. Bennet is a wild card but one that I think will pay off down the road and with you mentioning rebuild, your forecasting the future, not the exact present. So this is nice forecasting + plus you land a future asset with the pick. It's a fair deal on both sides and I think a win-win for both.

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I just pulled off a trade in my dynasty keeper (standard multi-cat + Hits, Blks, FW). 12 teams, very large rosters (25 NHL, 25 AHL, 10juniors) so depth is important. I am currently in the middle of a rebuild, trying to position myself for McDavid+Eichel in next year's draft, and I'm pretty much the worst team in the league right now. I've got some great youngsters though, with a core of: Mackinnon, RNH, E. Lindholm, Huberdeau, Nichushkin, etc.

I wanted to get the community's read on a trade I just pulled off: I sent Jordan Eberle <--> I received Chris Kreider, Beau Bennett, 2015 4th round pick (should be around 40-ish overall). I'm thrilled to get Kreider as someone I believe is a future multi-cat stud, and Beau Bennett + 4th is a very nice addition, giving me another asset that could become something on Crosby/Malkin's RW.

It sucks to lose Eberle, but Kreider should provide a better spread across categories. Did I get enough in return for a guy with legit PPG upside?

The Wolverine

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (mounD tsk tsk ) is that this is a salary cap league as well. Eberle is on 6m/year, Kreider is RFA (not sure what to expect) and Bennett is 0.9m this year and RFA next year.