Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brodeur says next season will "probably" be his last..

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Brodeur says next season will "probably" be his last..

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...bably-his-last

This won't come as much of a surprise to anyone, but Martin Brodeur's NHL career is starting to wind down. As the 42-year-old goaltender is set to hit free agency come July 1, it is unlikely he ends his career with the only organization he has ever known in the New Jersey Devils. However, wherever he goes next, is likely where he'll end his NHL career.

Brodeur told Tom Gulitti of The Record 2014-15 is likely his last in the league.

More from Brodeur via Gulitti's Fire & Ice Blog:

“It's going to be probably my last year,” the NHL's all-time leader in wins and shutouts told The Record today. “You never know what kind of energy I'm going to get from my decision, but I'm not looking for anything more than one year that's for sure.”

“I'm going to give myself the opportunity to look at what's out there and see if there's something that's interesting to me,” he said. “It doesn't mean it's not going to be in New Jersey, but I'm going to look everywhere, like I did two years ago. But now, the circumstances are a lot different with having [Cory Schneider] here, so we'll see.”

Brodeur seems to understand the Devils would be better off without him playing next season even though he didn't rule out a return. He also noted to Gulitti that he hopes to return to the organization in some capacity in the future. For that reason, he'd like to see them secure a long-term option in net and that should be Schneider, who has one year left on his current contract.

With Schneider hoping for 60 appearances or more next season, Brodeur probably wouldn't be content with riding the pine that much.

Brodeur's assertion he's not looking for anything more than one year may help open the field for him a bit as a free agent. Teams looking for a stop-gap starter or experienced backup are likely going to give Brodeur a shot.

It is quite clear his skills have been in decline for some time, but this is a guy that helped lead the Devils to the Stanley Cup Final just two years ago. He also has three Stanley Cups and a boatload of other individual awards and records.

The veteran netminder has appeared in 1,259 NHL games over his career and has a career save percentage of .912. That's been on the decline over the last four years as Brodeur hasn't posted a better mark than .908 in 2011-12. Over each of his last two seasons, Brodeur has had an unsightly .901 save percentage.

Though Brodeur is likely to end his career in a different jersey and likely with some poor numbers as well, he -- like all players -- deserves the right to call it a career whenever they want. He might not be the goaltender he once was, but for the right deal, a cheap one, he could help a few teams in some ways. Just probably not as a No. 1.

Brodeur seems less concerned about career legacy than he is getting one more chance. He has said repeatedly in recent interviews that he would like to be a starter in the right situation, but would be willing to be a backup for a contending team.

He'll remain one of the game's all-time great goaltenders regardless of what happens next season in what is likely his farewell tour.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Brodeur says next season will "probably" be his last..

Minnesota-bound.

Dobber Sports Veteran

2 years too late IMO.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Minnesota-bound.
    This move would make the most sense for both parties.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Jeez, another Brett Favre thread? Isn't this a hockey forum?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Jeez, another Brett Favre thread? Isn't this a hockey forum?
    Haha, zing! Pretty much echoes my sentiments as well....
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Ace

Just go away, old man. Please.
    HHG - Amish Flyers
    10 team roto keeper (keep 17) w/50-man minors
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,H,Blk,P2D,SktPts;W,GAA,SV%
    6-Time League Champ
    Active
    F: Barkov/Gaudreau/Guentzel/Tarasenko/Laine/Point/Teravainen/Norris/Bratt/BSchenn/Schmaltz/Ek
    D: Hughes/Weegar/Trouba/Klingberg/Pionk/Ghost/Spurgeon
    G: Jarry/Kuemper/Husso/Ullmark
    Minors
    F: Robertson/Hintz/Lafreniere/Batherson/Farabee/Jeannot/Frost/Tomasino/Garland/Holtz/Sillinger/Johnston/McMichael/Podkolzin/Maccelli/Beck/Brisson
    D: Nemec/Lundkvist/Zellweger/Rathbone/POJoseph/Hutson/Fehervary
    G: Swayman/Wallstedt/Brossoit/Fedotov/Prosvetov/Vejmelka/Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Titan

He should retire now as a Devil, or if he doesn’t want to retire right now, sign a one day contract with the devils then retire. However, I think he will do a Modano. Jet to another team for 1-2 yrs then sign BACK with the Devils for a 1 day contract then retire so he enters the HOF as a Devil

Dobber Sports Superstar

Time to retire Marty - you got nothing left to prove. Become the goalie coach in NJ and take your knowledge and mentor the next generation - your son among them. You have probably got more to give back this way than as a player now.
    Think it will only tarnish your reputation to play another year. Be a player coach in NJ.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Time to retire Marty - you got nothing left to prove. Become the goalie coach in NJ and take your knowledge and mentor the next generation - your son among them. You have probably got more to give back this way than as a player now.
    Think it will only tarnish your reputation to play another year. Be a player coach in NJ.
    No way, play until you don't feel it anymore and leave with no regrets. So what about his legacy, that stuff is for non-players (fans, media) to deal with. Brodeur's numbers will speak for themselves when he's ready to call it quits.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

My guess is he really wants 700 wins (he's at 688 now). If he had done it last season, he would have retired. It's a record that will never be broken. A goalie who wins 35 games a year would need 20 seasons to reach 700 wins. If you win 40 a year, it would take 17.5 seasons. Heck, even if you were lucky enough to win 50 games a year, it would take 14 years to reach 700 wins.

Seven hundred victories would put him about 150 ahead of Roy, who is second. The active player who has the next highest amount of wins is Luongo, who has 373. Then you get guys like Nabokov and Khabibulin.

Lundqvist has just 309 wins. Fleury has 288. Price has 179. Quick has 176.

Price, if he plays until he's 40 years old, will have to win 37 games a year for the next 14 years to hit that mark.

Brodeur has lost games in three work stoppages (1994, 2004 and last year). If those didn't happen, he'd probably have another 70-80 wins, and an outside chance of 800 wins.

Brodeur started 70-plus games in 12 different seasons. With so many goalies splitting starts with their backups, no way anyone does that now.

That's my guess why he's hanging on. To be the only goalie in history to hit 700 wins.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

I figured he had to be close to 700 victories, and I suspect newfcollins is right in saying that is why he wants one more year. I think he could platoon with Corey Crawford for a year, and guarantee getting the 12 wins he needs.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

While I'd like him not to play elsewhere.. I just like it when players stay on one team, it's the old school in me.. 700 wins is quite an accomplishment and worth pursuing.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    No way, play until you don't feel it anymore and leave with no regrets. So what about his legacy, that stuff is for non-players (fans, media) to deal with. Brodeur's numbers will speak for themselves when he's ready to call it quits.
    All he is doing is dragging down his numbers......have you seen his %'s the last few years?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    All he is doing is dragging down his numbers......have you seen his %'s the last few years?
    As long as teams still find value in him and are willing to offer him a contract, and he still has the desire to play, who are we to question him.

I say play until you either cannot, or do not have the desire to do so. Why live in regret thinking you could have had one more year. No offense, but I thought he played pretty damn good this year compared to his last couple seasons when he battled injuries.

If theres still gas in the tank, put that beast in drive and give'r!