Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: End of Reign?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default End of Reign?

Luongo lost in the SCF and it was immediately determined that they couldn't win with him. Seems his value plummeted immediately after.
    Lundqvist seems bulletproof.

When do the questions about Lundy start?
    Just tossing it out there. I always thought the Lu criticisms were a bit over-the-top.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: End of Reign?

canucks fans have built a reputation of throwing their goalies under the bus. the king is loved in new york and most fans would find someone else to blame.

maybe its coach A.V. lol
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Stud

Luongo being the scapegoat was definitely over the top, I agree.

It all depends on the fan base really. I agree Lundqvist is loved in NY and they'd never blame it on him. Sure he hasn't been sharp in the SCF but you can't put all the blame on him. Quite a few of the goals have been deflections off of either the Kings or the Rangers D. Hell even the Richards goal in game 3 wasn't Lundy's fault.

Must suck to lose the Olympic final and the SCF in the same year though.

Administrator

The Luongo bashing was absurd. His decline in "value" came from the team's decline and from Schneider.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

I hate that there often has to be a scapegoat, especially when a team reaches the Stanley Cup finals (a massive accomplishment). Usually one team is simply better than the other.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I hate that there often has to be a scapegoat, especially when a team reaches the Stanley Cup finals (a massive accomplishment). Usually one team is simply better than the other.
    Plus if there is no chance that a guy ever wins 16 games then why did he win 15?

Dobber Sports Guru

I think it hurts Luongo the amount of goals in some of those game. The Canucks lost 8-1, 4-0, 5-2 and 4-0. Yes, they had a couple of 1-0 shutout wins, but instead of blaming 18 guys on the offence for scoring just eight goals in seven games, it's easier to blame one guy when the team lets in 23 goals, especially when he got pulled twice.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

What makes this even 'funnier' I guess are Quick is going to win the cup and his stats are below average at best - will he be criticised for it? Not really but how often does a .906 save percentage get it done in the play offs?

For me the play offs are a very small sample size (in any given year especially) and if a player gets hot (or cold) at the right time they can have a reputation that is totally blown out of proportion...

Dobber Sports Titan

Even in the previous rounds wasn’t Luongo kinda shaky at times? It was a while ago but I remember he would be either unstoppable, or a sift. As for a reign ending per the King, I don’t think his dominance is ending, but I do think he is no longer the man he once was. Is this due to the playing style switch in front of him with players not blocking as many shots? Or is this his reaction time slipping, or his talent slipping? Hard to say because both could of happened at the same time. He dropped a bit, but I wouldn’t say he fell out of the top 3 goalies in the league.

Prior to this yr:
    Rask, Lunquist, Rinne, Price,

After this season
    Rask, Price, Lunquist, ____
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Even in the previous rounds wasn’t Luongo kinda shaky at times? It was a while ago but I remember he would be either unstoppable, or a sift.
    I think so. Definitely against the Blackhawks (in two back-to-back games, the Hawks scored 12 goals).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21
    Must suck to lose the Olympic final and the SCF in the same year though.
    Ouch. Forgot about the Olympics. That really does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I think so. Definitely against the Blackhawks (in two back-to-back games, the Hawks scored 12 goals).
    Vancouverite, here. You are correct. He was by no means the one to blame for the Canucks' playoff woes, but he does have some consistency issues on a game-by-game basis. Either lights it up, or lets in every softy.

Administrator

It wouldn't have been the first time an inconsistent goaltender wins a cup.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Luongo's "reputation" was built over a few years, it wasn't just because of the SCF loss. Mind you I don't buy into Lu being a choker, just saying it started after the loss to Anaheim in 2007. Then there was the 3 straight losses to Chicago. Then the next season the Canucks almost blew a 3-0 lead against the Hawks in the first round. Then of course the Cup Final where the Canucks suffered a couple blowout losses.

After closely watching the Canucks for four years straight in the playoffs (four years in a row against Chicago, plus the Cup run) I feel pretty confident in saying it was obviously not on Luongo. Those Canucks' teams were the easiest to get riled up I have ever seen....send Dave Bolland out, have him whack a couple shin pads. Send Nick Boynton out, have him rub someone out on the wall....and it was over. The Canucks would melt down and start chasing players instead of playing hockey. If Nick freaking Boynton is able to get a "contender" off their game, that team has some SERIOUS flaws. And Lu would be left to try and hold the pieces together while his team ran around clown shoes in front of him.

But the majority of fans are a simple beast. See a team lose, see a team give up 5 (!) goals, and god dammit that goalie is awful let's get him boys! Luongo was able to finely craft his "choker" label over a span of 5 years or so. Lundqvist has never backstopped a true contender until this year (well, 2012 maybe) and I imagine he'll have a bit longer leash before he starts to get questioned.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

The Great One

which is why I don't get why so many people get hung up on play off performances in general - there are exceptions, but generally its about a team peaking at the right time and riding their players with momentum....

Dobber Sports Master

Lundy is safe in Ny, but I bet Talbot gets even more starts next year than he did this one.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy