9 24.32%
  • Drew Doughty

16 43.24%
  • Jeff Carter

2 5.41%
  • Justin Williams

10 27.03%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who are you handing the Conn Smythe Trophy to?

I...am your father.

Default Re: Who are you handing the Conn Smythe Trophy to?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    We must be watching different games.
    I've seen this "perimeter shot" argument in other threads before. (something that would be fun to "search" and find forum members that have made that argument and ensuing... um... discussion.)
    To say that a goalie has an inflated SV% due to team defense limiting shots to "poor-quality" shots... yeesh, I don't know man... I don't know...

We must agree to disagree.

Yeah, we're watching different games. The games I see, of the Kings' 15 wins, Quick won one game that they otherwise would not have won, while an AHL goaltender could also have won the other 14 games. However, an AHL defenseman in the lineup instead of Drew Doughty, would have seen Los Angeles out in the first round.

This entire thread pretty much agrees that Doughty is a bigger key than Quick. I'm really confused by your stance, but okay.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpp87 View Post
    it has to be Kopitar !!

LAK would not be there without his play in the 1st and 2nd round. he was amazing and dominant.
    I think Doughty and Williams and Carter have such a slim lead here over Kopitar that if Kopitar were to have a strong game Wednesday (say three points), he'd take it. He's been pretty quiet the first three games but only because the D has keyed in on him.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This entire thread pretty much agrees that Doughty is a bigger key than Quick. I'm really confused by your stance, but okay.
    There is a lot of Quick support in this thread.
    I think you skipped "Page 2".

Doughty is "pretty" to watch.
    I grew up (& still play) an offensive-game from a defenseman position.
    I'm the PP1-QB on my old-man-beer league team! LOL.
    (Back-to-back champs: horn-tooting hooooo...)
    And I'm sure many could guess that I take more pride in my +/- than any other stat.

Back to Doughty...
    Doughty is a very, very pretty player to watch play. (That's not a bad thing - but it can be misleading.)
    His skating & movement on this ice is VERY recognizeable in comparison to other defensemen.

And stuff like "toe drags" - maybe 1 in 30 NHL defensemen keep that in their PRO-skillset arsenal.
    It sure looks pretty... until somebody like Benoit Pouliot makes you look like a fool.
    But then we'll forget all about that mistake once he "toe drags" for a goal, especially with that puck going between his legs, the little deke to pull it to a shot.
    Gorgeous.

Drew Doughty is simply a gorgeous player to watch play.
    And... if you watched side-by-side footage of Doughty vs. Lidstrom... Doughty is a prettier player than Lidstrom too.

But an all-around defenseman's game has very little to do with "pretty"... and people lose track of this.
    Ovechkin is also pretty.
    Kovalchuk was pretty.
    Michael Grabner is also pretty.
    So is Blake Wheeler.
    Four players I'm not really fond of.
    Highlight reel guys that have never been dedicated to a two-way game but sure can make the TSN Top Plays.

Eff that.
    Give me Toews.
    Give me Lidstrom.

I'm not fooled by "pretty".
    Drew Doughty is an excellent player... but his "pretty" factor makes people believe he is of better value than he actually is.

The Kings aren't in the SCF without Doughty, that's true. (but put Karlsson, or Subban, or Keith on that team... the Kings would be as good or better, IMO)
    The Kings are also not in the SCF without Kopitar. (but put Crosby or Toews in his place... they're as good or better, IMO)
    And the Kings are definitely not in the SCF without Quick. (but put put Lundqvist or Price in his place... they're there... true, but not with the list of 20-30 goalies you list... awful, c'mon.)

These are all key pieces.
    For you to not see Quick's value is mind-blowing for me.

ps. I thought you at least had him 5th in the NHL in "skill" a month or so ago - even devaluing him then as a "product of the system"

Dobber Sports Superstar

I like Doughty here. His performance has been off the charts. Quick has made some big saves in key games but he's almost let in weak goals in many of those games forcing his team to dig him out of 2-goal leads on numerous occasions.

Also, I wonder if Quick's amazing performance in 2012 will hurt his 2014 chances. In 2012 he was unreal, his stats were light years better and he posted a 16-4 record! Comparing that run to this year's run may hurt him. Finally, I think voters are conscious of winning multiple Conn Smythe awards. The last 3 players to win multiple awards: Roy, Lemieux, Gretzky. Finally, Kopitar, Doughty and Williams have all had outstanding playoff performances in their own right so it's not as if their isn't another deserving winner out there.

For those reasons I think many voters will lean towards giving it to someone other than Quick.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Subban and Keith sure. But C'mon Pen, Karlsson. Dude is the definition of pretty and not good.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Subban and Keith sure. But C'mon Pen, Karlsson. Dude is the definition of pretty and not good.
    Karlsson is a stellar defenseman.
    People are going to rip on him because his high-scoring is too often compared to Mike Green.

Karlsson is pretty too... absolutely... and for the same reason, a lot of people hike his real-NHL value up higher than he truly is... true.
    But I'd take Karlsson on my NHL team over Doughty.
    Karlsson would be a 65pt player, +25 if he was on LA.

Banned

I'm sure that nobody on the Kings cares who wins it...

Though, many of the posts in this thread or hilarious.

Dobber Sports Star

Drew Doughty
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Sorry man, you have a couple of typos. It should say "Los Angeles Kings facing elimination":

And then the chart should be worded:

Game 4 vs. SJ. Allowed 39 perimeter shots against their average goalie so he could make just 36 saves. .923 sv%
    Game 5 vs. SJ. Allowed 30 perimeter shots against their average goalie so he could make just 30 saves. 1.000 sv%
    Game 6 vs. SJ. Allowed 26 perimeter shots against their average goalie so he could make just 25 saves. .962 sv%.
    Game 7 vs. SJ. Allowed 40 perimeter shots against their average goalie so he could make just .975 sv%.
    Game 6 vs. ANA. Allowed 22 perimeter shots against their average goalie so he could make just .955 sv%.
    Game 7 vs. ANA. Allowed 27 perimeter shots against their average goalie so he could make just .926 sv%.
    Game 7 vs. CHI. Allowed 41 perimeter shots against their average goalie so he could make just .902 sv%.

I went ahead and fixed your chart for you

Like I said - and I even listed each goalie - the other goalies would have done the same thing. But if you sub in any one of 180 other NHL defensemen in that lineup instead of Doughty, and they're out first round.

Yeah 'perimeter shots', that's all he's good at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_TCL8fZOTI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNlh_IIgmKI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWwRtgNcTTA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKWKfYeljiA

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I must note that it appears McGoo & I are fighting on the same side of this battle.
    Do the Targaryens & Baratheons ever fight together?
    This simply feels odd.

Dobber Sports Legend

I'd love to see Doughty or Kopitar get it but I think Williams gets it.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I must note that it appears McGoo & I are fighting on the same side of this battle.
    Do the Targaryens & Baratheons ever fight together?
    This simply feels odd.
    damn your right...er, screw you Pengwin, you don't know wtf you're talking bout
    I mean seriously? Karlsson over Doughty?

Honestly though, both great d-men, but I prefer Doughty myself, I think he's the most complete d-man in the league

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    damn your right...er, screw you Pengwin, you don't know wtf you're talking bout
    I mean seriously? Karlsson over Doughty?

Honestly though, both great d-men, but I prefer Doughty myself, I think he's the most complete d-man in the league
    Well...damn....Now it seems like me and McGoo are agreeing. WHAT IS HAPPENING.

I wasn't trying to say Karlsson is bad. He's phenomenal and this argument is really splitting hairs. But with players this elite, all you have to split is hairs. I like Doughty over Karlsson for the same reason as McGoo.

Dobber Sports Genius

Doughty for me. I can appreciate what Kopitar (lining up against Toews and Thornton) and Williams (clutch production) have done, though.
    Quick is great, but he hasn't been the best goalie in these playoffs, and that drops him a notch for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Ignorance at its finest ladies and gentlemen