9 24.32%
  • Drew Doughty

16 43.24%
  • Jeff Carter

2 5.41%
  • Justin Williams

10 27.03%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who are you handing the Conn Smythe Trophy to?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Who are you handing the Conn Smythe Trophy to?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Doughty is -1 thru 3 games of the SCF... with 1 goal on his 1 shot on net.
    C'mon Dobber... Doughty has been solid... but I think the "stat watchers" are looking at Doughty's place among scoring leaders a little too much.
    His 1 goal was also very clutch and help pull the Kings back to set them up for the game 1 win. Don't overlook that.
    Doughty has also been incredibly sound defensively and has played great games. The -1 doesn't mean anything at this point. If you watch him play he's as good as they come at both ends of the ice.

If we wanna look at some stats we can look at his 41:41 TOI in game 2, or his 6:38 SHTOI in game 3 when the Rangers PP went 0/6.

Doughty's points are an added bonus. His true value lies in his consistency, tone setting and overall dominance in games.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Jonathan Quick - without a doubt.

Dobber - please fix your poll

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Jonathan Quick - without a doubt.

Dobber - please fix your poll
    I'll fix you, how about that?

tumblr_ksqkhdKZ4e1qztjn5o1_500.jpg
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

Are we supposed to pick the guy that:
    a) Deserves it.
    b) Will win it based on how the voters go?

I was pro-Kopitar a round ago.
    Now... I am very pro-Quick.

Overall stats mean much less for Conn Smythe (and everybody knows I love stats).
    Big moments in key games rule all for Conn Smythe.
    (my way of saying Quick's stinkers may be forgotten if LA wins the cup. And Doughty has had some stinkers too... he didn't do much in Game 7 vs. CHI)

Jon Quick has been an absolute BEAST in the games that matter.
    Quick is my pick for Conn Smythe... especially with last night's game fresh in voters minds.
    Agreed, dismissing Quick right off the bat is foolish IMO, at very least he needs to be included in any discussion.

Winning the cup is much less about pure numbers and much more about big plays when it counts most (and that's what I think the Conn Smythe is all about). There have been times these playoffs when he looked off his game and his numbers are not what they were during the last cup run but when the Kings needed him to make key big saves he has been just insane....pure highway robbery and highlight reel material, just insane. The same can be said for Doughty, he's screwed up a couple times and it's cost them goals, but he always makes up for it and he comes up huge when his team needs him most.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Agreed, dismissing Quick right off the bat is foolish IMO, at very least he needs to be included in any discussion.

Winning the cup is much less about pure numbers and much more about big plays when it counts most (and that's what I think the Conn Smythe is all about). There have been times these playoffs when he looked off his game and his numbers are not what they were during the last cup run but when the Kings needed him to make key big saves he has been just insane....pure highway robbery and highlight reel material, just insane. The same can be said for Doughty, he's screwed up a couple times and it's cost them goals, but he always makes up for it and he comes up huge when his team needs him most.
    I would agree with this. Stats can't be everything and Quick has made some very big plays at key moments to give his team confidence. I can agree with Dobber that if Doughty isn't there the Kings don't get past round one, but I think the very same is true with Quick, who does a lot, on and off the ice, to help this team stay together and win. Quick may not be as good as many credit him for, but he's not as average as people make him out to be too. He was lights-out rushing back against the Sharks and shutting the door.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

Out of all their players - Quick is the most important. Nobody shapes the game more than him. As mentioned already, not just about the numbers. It's the intangibles (and the tangibles).

Quick is a GAMER. He is mad intense, insanely clutch, and they all trust him with their lives. He's come up huge in every BIG game during these playoffs. If I'm in Game 7 of the cup finals, there's no other goalie I'd rather have in net than Quick. The team would play very different with him in net than Jones. Confidence, chemistry, flow would all be different.

Doughty is a close 2nd in terms of overall team impact, but Quick is the engine.

Shame on you for poll-fixing Dobber!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Out of all their players - Quick is the most important. Nobody shapes the game more than him. As mentioned already, not just about the numbers. It's the intangibles (and the tangibles).

Quick is a GAMER. He is mad intense, insanely clutch, and they all trust him with their lives. He's come up huge in every BIG game during these playoffs. If I'm in Game 7 of the cup finals, there's no other goalie I'd rather have in net than Quick. The team would play very different with him in net than Jones. Confidence, chemistry, flow would all be different.

Doughty is a close 2nd in terms of overall team impact, but Quick is the engine.

Shame on you for poll-fixing Dobber!
    Team Canada/All of Canada probably disagrees with you.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    His 1 goal was also very clutch and help pull the Kings back to set them up for the game 1 win. Don't overlook that.
    I won't overlook it, if you don't overlook that he gave up the first goal (Pouliot).
    He should be a -5 for that gaffe. (take the minus for every LA King on the ice)
    You can effectively cancel those two items out (the gaffe vs. his goal - which somebody had to help him create, at least)... and call Doughty even for Game 1.

Oh except Doughty (& Voynov) was also on for the other NYR goal (SH) in game 1 as well.
    Voynov was the one that "appeared" to get burned... but a breaking out forward is the responsibility of BOTH defensemen... and Doughty was pinching closer.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd say it goes:
    1- Justin Williams
    2- Drew Doughty
    3- Marian Gaborik
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

I won't overlook it, if you don't overlook that he gave up the first goal (Pouliot).
    He should be a -5 for that gaffe. (take the minus for every LA King on the ice)
    You can effectively cancel those two items out (the gaffe vs. his goal - which somebody had to help him create, at least)... and call Doughty even for Game 1.

Oh except Doughty (& Voynov) was also on for the other NYR goal (SH) in game 1 as well.
    Voynov was the one that "appeared" to get burned... but a breaking out forward is the responsibility of BOTH defensemen... and Doughty was pinching closer.
    Jeez Pen, I don't normally see you cherry pick like this. If you're putting that first goal wholly on Doughty, than that second one is entirely on Voynov. Doughty was pinching to hold the puck in on the PP when the Kings needed a goal. Hagelin was 100% Voynov's responsibility to support his partner on the pinch. And then you know, he kicked the puck in his own net. However by your argument, the Rangers first goal was just as much Muzzin's fault. He should have been responsible and back when DOughty made that play and he had a chance to play the puck after Pouliot poked it and he whiffed and fell.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Jeez Pen, I don't normally see you cherry pick like this. If you're putting that first goal wholly on Doughty, than that second one is entirely on Voynov. Doughty was pinching to hold the puck in on the PP when the Kings needed a goal. Hagelin was 100% Voynov's responsibility to support his partner on the pinch. And then you know, he kicked the puck in his own net. However by your argument, the Rangers first goal was just as much Muzzin's fault. He should have been responsible and back when Doughty made that play and he had a chance to play the puck after Pouliot poked it and he whiffed and fell.
    Goal 1: Doughty has possession. That's primary blame on a D-man when has he possession at the top of a PP zone and loses it. Muzzin's job is to switch sides of the ice when Doughty starts drifting into his zone.
    Muzzin is doing the right thing on that play. It's on Doughty... who again... had possession.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400560754

Goal 2: The Kings do not have possession once that puck is on the wall. It's partially the fault of the LA King on the wall who got beat, it's partially Carter's fault who has Hagelin go behind him and Carter doesn't get in the passing path, it's partially Doughty's who is stuck flat-footed on the blue line and partially Voynov's, who gets beat (TO HIS INSIDE - that's Doughty's help side) by the speedy Hagelin.

To pin the 2nd goal 100% on Voynov... I don't know man, I don't know... [EDITED].
    (and I love ya man... you are a good guy... but there's a lot of LA players with small mistakes on goal 2).

Anyways - I'm not nitpicking Doughty here. He has been fantastic.

My point is countering petegreg21 who is suggesting Doughty was valuable in Game 1.
    Doughty was bad & good in Game 1... it cancels out.
    That is all.

Dobber Sports Deity

Jonathan Quick is "quickly" becoming another Dominik Hasek in my eyes in regards to the amount of dives he seems to take. Someone comes close to him now and he's on the ice looking for a penalty. Last night, Nash avoided the contact but after driving into the posts, his arm touched Quick and down he went. Then on the penalty where Doughty got forced into him, again he floppped like Hasek out of a gun. I am not a Rangers fan, or a Kings hater, but from the play I've seen from Quick the past few games he has kinda soured on me.

He will probably win the Conn Smyth but man I am sure learning to be a Jonathan Quick hater pretty fast. I hate that crap.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

it has to be Kopitar !!

LAK would not be there without his play in the 1st and 2nd round. he was amazing and dominant.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Like I said - and I even listed each goalie - the other goalies would have done the same thing. But if you sub in any one of 180 other NHL defensemen in that lineup instead of Doughty, and they're out first round.
    We must be watching different games.
    I've seen this "perimeter shot" argument in other threads before. (something that would be fun to "search" and find forum members that have made that argument and ensuing... um... discussion.)
    To say that a goalie has an inflated SV% due to team defense limiting shots to "poor-quality" shots... yeesh, I don't know man... I don't know...

We must agree to disagree.

I mostly pin that on Voynov as he kicked the puck in after Quick made the save on the breakaway. He has to be more puck aware than that. I realize he was beat and was trying to catch up, but there is a point where you have to know your beat and be ready to play the rebound if it was there. He clearly has to know he isn't catching/making a play on Hagelin and needs to start preparing to react to the rest of the play