Thread: Thoughts on Jiri Sekac

Dobber Sports Master

Default Thoughts on Jiri Sekac

Czech UFA, Jiri Sekac, recently appeared on many team's radars, and is apparently close to signing an ELC with an as yet unnamed NHL club. Despite being passed over in his draft year, he has been pretty impressive playing in the KHL and will almost certainly be here next season. So...

1) Where does he sign?

And more importantly...

2) what kind of points production can we expect from a young guy (22 years old) who scored 11-17-28 in 47 games with HC Lev Praha last year; good enough for second on team scoring?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Thoughts on Jiri Sekac

Apparently there's a dozen teams interested but I haven't heard any names leaked yet. Kind of a crap shoot to guess where he'd sign.

Noma provided some good thoughts on him in this thread on Michael Keranen a few days ago.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...hlight=keranen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Czech UFA, Jiri Sekac, recently appeared on many team's radars, and is apparently close to signing an ELC with an as yet unnamed NHL club. Despite being passed over in his draft year, he has been pretty impressive playing in the KHL and will almost certainly be here next season. So...

1) Where does he sign?

And more importantly...

2) what kind of points production can we expect from a young guy (22 years old) who scored 11-17-28 in 47 games with HC Lev Praha last year; good enough for second on team scoring?
    Lots of his countrymen on the Devils (Jagr, Elias, Zidlicky), I'm willing to bet they might have the inside track on him

As far as what to expect? No clue but I wouldn't expect too much...maybe worth taking a late round flier on to see if he pans out?

Dobber Sports Stud

When we look at other undrafted europeans who have come over (regardless of age), there isn't anyone who has been particularly successful other than goalies (Backstrom, Niemi, Hiller).

The two names that stick out the most among forwards are Zuccarello and (hilariously enough) Ville Leino. Soderberg could be in line to add his name to that group.

However, we see players like Brunner and Cervenka very recently who were very highly regarded and just kind of flop.

Like McGoo said, he's worth a flier in a deep league but don't hold your breath.

Administrator

He could be worth adding but has to be the right context. The benefit is that as an older boom/bust prospect you'll get your answer quickly. Either it pays immediate dividends or it fails and you can quickly move to a flavour of the week prospect in September.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

I think he needs to sign somewhere that he will be given the ice time and opportunity to play regular minutes both on the powerplay and in a top 6 role. I am not sure what his KHL salary was nor how well he speaks English but they are all significant factors in his possible NHL future.

I like the NJD call. It would seem like a nice fit for the kid. I can see the Panthers making a move as there isn't much downside other than the contract for them, but they have plenty of cap room
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Banned

Looks like its down to Sens, Devils, Flyers

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Looks like its down to Sens, Devils, Flyers
    I am putting my money on the Senators who, if they are shopping Spezza like many of the reports say they are, will probably be looking for new blood to push any of the prospects hoping to just be given Spezza's spot. Call it a feeling.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

My guess is he signs with New Jersey.